Copy Up or Copy Down broken for copy down into new categories

Copy Up or Copy Down broken for copy down into new categories

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

  not sure I know where to fix this one so reporting it here.  To reproduce choose a class with a subclass such that the class has a method that the subclass doesn't have, and in a category that the subclass doesn't have.  Then choose copy up or copy down to copy the method down into the subclass.

First the text is displayed in red, not syntax highlighted.
Second when one tries accept or ctrl-s the response is for the browser to insert "Nothing more expected ->" at the start of text instead of compiling the new code.

Needless to say this is a serious regression.  Even less needlessly to say its super annoying ;-)
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Copy Up or Copy Down broken for copy down into new categories

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tim,

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

  not sure I know where to fix this one so reporting it here.  To reproduce choose a class with a subclass such that the class has a method that the subclass doesn't have, and in a category that the subclass doesn't have.  Then choose copy up or copy down to copy the method down into the subclass.

First the text is displayed in red, not syntax highlighted.
Second when one tries accept or ctrl-s the response is for the browser to insert "Nothing more expected ->" at the start of text instead of compiling the new code.

Needless to say this is a serious regression.  Even less needlessly to say its super annoying ;-)

I'm not blaming you; you were compensating for a deleted method.  But the regression happened here:

spawnToClass: current version: tpr 10/13/2017 11:00 · commands · Tools-tpr.770

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Copy Up or Copy Down broken for copy down into new categories

timrowledge

> On 18-12-2017, at 2:51 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> spawnToClass: current version: tpr 10/13/2017 11:00 · commands · Tools-tpr.770

Sorry about that. Aside from anything else I didn’t have much idea what on earth it was supposed to do ab initio and quickly looking at the change it looks like it should do the right thing. I vaguely recall that the whole … EditString: thing was not working before.

Can we try to skype/whatever soon?

tim
Fractured Idiom:- HARLEZ-VOUS FRANCAIS? - Can you drive a French motorcycle?

Re: Copy Up or Copy Down broken for copy down into new categories

marcel.taeumel
Hi Tim, hi Eliot,

sorry to intervene. I fixed this issue in "Tools-mt.779".

Let me take this case to emphasize a serious issue with our new construction interface for Browsers as introduced in mid October. We have to clarify two kinds of configuration when building browsers:

1) Kind of browser being "full" or "system category", "class", or "protocol" / "message category". I think.
2) The kind of elements to select in those browsers: category, class, protocol, message.

At the time of writing, for example, #newOnClass:messageCategory: does not reveal that it constructs a Message Category browser instead of a regular browser with a class and category being selected.

I know that there are #fullOn... methods. Yet, there is not only "full" or "not full" as described before.

Tim, since you approached this topic recently, could you follow it a little bit further? :-)

(Here is an idea: Let's introduce a selection object to pass that stores any combination of category/class/protocol/message to clarify arguments.)

Thanks! Best,
Marcel