classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Create new trait in Browser

Jakob Reschke
Hello,

When I want to create a new Trait, I currently search and type the trait template myself. You know, Trait named: #foo uses: ...

Should there not be a context menu item that fills the browser code pane with the template?

I see there is Browser>>newTrait and Browser>>addSpecialMenu: but the latter has no senders in my Trunk image.

Kind regards
Jakob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Create new trait in Browser

Christoph Thiede

Nice idea! I have been using Traits for only one time in my Squeak life so far, but they surely can be helpful in certain cases.

Would this maybe be rather a job for a good autocompletion?

If I'm creating code, I will not search in any menus. I would like to type "Trait" into the class definition field and be proposed "Trait named: ___ uses: ___". Same for "Morph" ("Morph subclass: ___ instanceVariableNames: '' classVariableNames: '' poolDictionaries: '' category: 'xyz'", and also the version with #uses:).
The autocompletion could detect that you are typing into a class definition field and then first suggest selectors from a whitelist of the ones mentioned above.

This whitelist could be defined by certain message categories (Class: #'subclass creation', Trait: #'instance creation').
I'm not familiar with the OCompletion implementation, but a bit with Autocompletion, where the latter allows specifying custom completion controllers, so this should be possible without huge design changes. Does someone know about OCompletion?

Best,
Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 8. Dezember 2019 16:39:57
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [squeak-dev] Create new trait in Browser

Hello,

When I want to create a new Trait, I currently search and type the trait template myself. You know, Trait named: #foo uses: ...

Should there not be a context menu item that fills the browser code pane with the template?

I see there is Browser>>newTrait and Browser>>addSpecialMenu: but the latter has no senders in my Trunk image.

Kind regards
Jakob

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
That might be nice. But I think this is too many steps ahead for now.

Today the templates are invoked either
- via empty selection (for a new class deriving from Object), or
- the class menu (to make subclasses of the selected class).
The trait template should be available somewhere similar.

Hooking into the menus is probably much easier than extending the auto-completion. The unsent method addSpecialMenu: looks like it was already done or considered at some point, but then got dropped or was overlooked and forgotten.

Am So., 8. Dez. 2019 um 17:32 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Nice idea! I have been using Traits for only one time in my Squeak life so far, but they surely can be helpful in certain cases.

If I'm creating code, I will not search in any menus. I would like to type "Trait" into the class definition field and be proposed "Trait named: ___ uses: ___". Same for "Morph" ("Morph subclass: ___ instanceVariableNames: '' classVariableNames: '' poolDictionaries: '' category: 'xyz'", and also the version with #uses:).
The autocompletion could detect that you are typing into a class definition field and then first suggest selectors from a whitelist of the ones mentioned above.

This whitelist could be defined by certain message categories (Class: #'subclass creation', Trait: #'instance creation').
I'm not familiar with the OCompletion implementation, but a bit with Autocompletion, where the latter allows specifying custom completion controllers, so this should be possible without huge design changes. Does someone know about OCompletion?

Best,
Christoph

Hello,

Kind regards
Jakob

Reply | Threaded
|

Christoph Thiede

Ah cool, I actually was not aware of that class menu :-)

Yes, adding more templates there via a submenu sounds reasonable to me. +1!

Gesendet: Sonntag, 8. Dezember 2019 17:46:07
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] Create new trait in Browser

That might be nice. But I think this is too many steps ahead for now.

Today the templates are invoked either
- via empty selection (for a new class deriving from Object), or
- the class menu (to make subclasses of the selected class).
The trait template should be available somewhere similar.

Hooking into the menus is probably much easier than extending the auto-completion. The unsent method addSpecialMenu: looks like it was already done or considered at some point, but then got dropped or was overlooked and forgotten.

Am So., 8. Dez. 2019 um 17:32 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Best,
Christoph

Hello,

Kind regards
Jakob

Carpe Squeak!