Creating package does not add categories to the package

Creating package does not add categories to the package

mp_1812
I call Monticello browser, pick +Package, type in the package name, accept,
then click Browse. The Snapshot Browser comes up with empty panes. I have three
categories full of code I need to put in this package, but can't find out how
to achieve this.

Can anybody tell me where am I wrong?

Re: Creating package does not add categories to the package

Paul Sheldon-2
I don't know I understand.

You see if you think I understand.

I got two files from Americo in Brazil and I believe I put them in by
Monticello
browser to make from these package files classes to make worlds.

The section is called receiving new classes and Americo writes how you do
this.
I had turned his web course to a pdf with acrobat to search fast
and didn't find Monticello, but that is because they call it the system
browser
in the croquet program.

Look at :
http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb0.html

and specifically the section with web address :
http://www.dmu.com/crb/crb19.html

Its amazing 10 lines of code to build a whole world (there's blender stuff
to make it more complicated later in his wonderful course).

I go very slowly and step by step and get courage from reading his course.

Good luck.

Re: Creating package does not add categories to the package

Paul Sheldon-2
When I have added packages (once for these Americo files to do worlds),
I used a "big save as" to make a new file name with ending ".image".

I then click on that image to see what I added working.

I  keep a clean original image without any additional packages.

Why? Something I vaguely remember about different images of squeak don't
"talk to each other". I make an example from experiment I did yesterday.

I have two computers. On one I ran Wiscworlds and on the other the newest
version of croquet posted, not as incremental with packages, but as a full
release.

Yesterday, I tried, through wifi to jump a so called avatar through a
looking glass
from an old Wiscworlds to the newest version of croquet
and the old Wiscworlds said the class library had changed and wouldn't
let my avatar go there.

I tried going the other way from the newer version of croquet to Wiscworlds.
I did not have OK enabled on the tools>gotoworld.

So, I have a rough rule of thumb summary some expert might be able
to better reword different images don't let avatars jump between them.

Americo wrote something like this in that tutorial I posted.

RE: Creating package does not add categories to the package

mp_1812
Thanks for the tutorial and discussion. The tutorial is really interesting
for me as a novice.

What about discussion - I have exactly opposite problem. The problem is not
about loading packages (although the procedure is not intuitively evident),
but with extracting added and changed code from the image into a new
package. I need to move my code to another image (from squeak 3.9 to
croquet), to continue my development, but I can't.
I have three categories with classes, of those I need to extract only two
(the third is an old code branch), but thee only I managed to see in a newly
created package was that useless code branch. The rest two does not get into
the package.
Can it be that package populating procedure was fooled by my downloading and
fileining some packages? I did this after I developed my code, but that
useless branch that do gets into the package is the oldest one.

Anyway, great thanks for your attempt.

Thanks,
Michael Potyomkin