Creating your island:no code, no Blender - Tutorial

Creating your island:no code, no Blender - Tutorial

Americo Damasceno
If you don't like to code and you are not an artist to use a 3D modeler like
Blender, you can create your Cobalt island using the "Cobalt freeboxes".
Like there are the LEGO boxes having pieces, or the SecondLife "freebies", a
"Cobalt freebox" has some 3D pieces (objects) that you can add to the "DMU
basic island" or any other.

Step by step:

1 - Download und unzip, inside the folder:"Contents" of Cobalt,   our first
(only a simple test) DMUbox:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMUbox01.zip

2 - Open the "Cobalt browser" at the default insland and load the "DMU basic
island" from:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMU.c3d

3 - Go inside the island and   to   the local you like to add a "redcube" or a
"bluecube". Select "Things | Add from local file". Appears the subfolders
inside "Content". Click "redcube" or "bluecube". Will appear the name of the
.ase file. Click it and OK. The "piece" will be installed in front of your
avatar.

4 - You can install many copies of a piece.

5 - Select Place | Save, defining a name for your island. It will be created,
like a .c3d file, inside the folder "Cache".

6 - Upload this file to your web-hoster and it can be accessed by everybody.

Modelers can create many "Cobalt boxes" - having only one or many objects (.ase
files + textures) and put them available for the "Cobalt community". Free or
not  :-o

You can see our simple test going to the island:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMU12.c3d

Please, make some tests and let us know if all have worked OK for you posting,
here, the address of your island.

RE: Creating your island:no code, no Blender - Tutorial

nagep
Hi Americo,

I've followed your tutorial and I have some feedback for you.

Everything has worked as you described.

I made a copy of the place and placed it on the

www.intelligentsocietyfund.us/H1.c3d

The issues are:

The Place loader doesn't take the http:// part of the URL so start the URL with www.

Connecting to other Places is challenging, sometimes works and makes connection  but most of the time it stops Cobalt and I have to  kill it and start over.

The Places are very dark, though if I cahnge it into full screen it has better light
 I've tried to Add Terrain and all kind of things happened with the terrain

It would be nice to be able to change the color, brightness or light of the terrain or place

The ghost avatar is still there when I'm changing Places

I vent back to the original place where I've started and the portals didn't work anymore

I remember some thing like the drag'ndrop  works in Croquet  but it doesn't in Cobalt
I just wanted to put up some docs or pics in the Place

I'm really looking forward to this project shaping up!

Attila

> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:35:50 -0400
> Subject: [croquet-user] Creating your island:no code, no Blender - Tutorial
>
> If you don't like to code and you are not an artist to use a 3D modeler like
> Blender, you can create your Cobalt island using the "Cobalt freeboxes".
> Like there are the LEGO boxes having pieces, or the SecondLife "freebies", a
> "Cobalt freebox" has some 3D pieces (objects) that you can add to the "DMU
> basic island" or any other.
>
> Step by step:
>
> 1 - Download und unzip, inside the folder:"Contents" of Cobalt, our first
> (only a simple test) DMUbox:
>
> http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMUbox01.zip
>
> 2 - Open the "Cobalt browser" at the default insland and load the "DMU basic
> island" from:
>
> http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMU.c3d
>
> 3 - Go inside the island and to the local you like to add a "redcube" or a
> "bluecube". Select "Things | Add from local file". Appears the subfolders
> inside "Content". Click "redcube" or "bluecube". Will appear the name of the
> .ase file. Click it and OK. The "piece" will be installed in front of your
> avatar.
>
> 4 - You can install many copies of a piece.
>

> 5 - Select Place | Save, defining a name for your island. It will be created,
> like a .c3d file, inside the folder "Cache".
>
> 6 - Upload this file to your web-hoster and it can be accessed by everybody.
>
> Modelers can create many "Cobalt boxes" - having only one or many objects (.ase
> files + textures) and put them available for the "Cobalt community". Free or
> not :-o
>
> You can see our simple test going to the island:
>
> http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMU12.c3d
>

> Please, make some tests and let us know if all have worked OK for you posting,
> here, the address of your island.

RE: Creating your island:no code, no Blender - Tutorial

Americo Damasceno
Attila,

Thanks. Your help is very important for us.

We have tested your world like can be seeing here:
http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/attila0.JPG

Using http://www.etc or www.etc   is working for us.

There are the usual the "ghost avatar" and the (also usual)  "ghost
Portal-back" (only sometimes it works) that can be erased clicking the X over
it.

We have openned a Portal-link to DMU05.c3d that has a clear blue sky and not
the default "cobalt" (dark blue) sky (I don't like it too...) like you can see.
All was OK for us. No crash. What is your operational system? We are using
Windows XP. It's possible to define sky color ,light, fog etc. for the island
but only coding (tutorials soon...).

The "Add Terrain" is not OK yet. It has some problems.

Thanks again and your help, doing feedback, will be always welcome.