Croquet Master/Participant Demo Hangs

Mark Cornwell-2
I ran the Croquet Master/Participant demo successfully once on my laptop.  The second time, I got an error message indicating some file permissions problem.  The croquet demo windows opened with all the fonts corrupted before ever starting up the server, I just closed the window.  Subsequently, whenever I try to run the demo, it just hangs at 99-100% cpu time for croquet.exe, never making a connection.  It does not matter when I try to start the Demo Master or Demo Participant, it just spins forever with a red rectangle.

Now here is the wierd part.  I completely deleted all the files and re-installed and that had no effect.  I installed on a different drive and still no effect.  I install on a different machine, and it works fine.  The laptop is a 1.2 Ghz with 2Gig of memory and a decent graphics adaptor.  And, I did see it work fine on that host once.

Anyone experienced anything like that?  I would like to run the demo's on the laptop, but can't figure out where to start looking.  I suspect there is some path or file location issue.  I'm just starting and am not at all familiar with what the environment needs to be.  On my other machine, I just unzip the file and everything runs great.

Suggestions?

--Mark Cornwell

Re: Croquet Master/Participant Demo Hangs

Andreas.Raab
I've never seen an effect like this so this is half guessing but if you
are a Squeak user you might start Croquet by double-clicking on the
image and that might run your default (Squeak) VM with Croquet which may
explain some of the issues. Other than that I'm totally clueless (unless
you're on Windows and just sucked down the IE7 "critical" update which I
could easily imagine to to break OpenGL).

Cheers,
   - Andreas