Croquet SDK development future?

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

Looking how actively Squeak 3.10 begins updating and maintaining process now (glad to the new Community develpoment model and Andreas Raab), are there any plans to move Croquet home base image from 3.8 to 3.10 also, following the mainstream?
Or the Croquet home base image will continue it's own iSqueak 3.8 road, and we need to track the critical changes, have repository for that?
Will it matter, or be useful to the Croquet SDK development process to extend the existing sources (at http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/, http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8889/ ), with fixes/new features for the current image (which was not updated for a long time, and may be changed radically in close source)?

Looking forward for any views,

Regards,
Nikolay

Re: Croquet SDK development future?

Tapple Gao
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 03:05:26PM +0400, Nikolay Suslov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking how actively Squeak 3.10 begins updating and maintaining process now
> (glad to the new Community develpoment model and Andreas Raab), are there
> any plans to move Croquet home base image from 3.8 to 3.10 also, following
> the mainstream?
> Or the Croquet home base image will continue it's own iSqueak 3.8 road, and
> we need to track the critical changes, have repository for that?

It's not high priority at all to keep up with squeak releases.

> Will it matter, or be useful to the Croquet SDK development process to
> extend the existing sources (at http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/,
> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8889/ ), with fixes/new features for the
> current image (which was not updated for a long time, and may be changed
> radically in close source)?

The croquet sdk has been abandoned. All work is now being done
in cobalt.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 03:05:26PM +0400, Nikolay Suslov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Looking how actively Squeak 3.10 begins updating and maintaining process now
> (glad to the new Community develpoment model and Andreas Raab), are there
> any plans to move Croquet home base image from 3.8 to 3.10 also, following
> the mainstream?
> Or the Croquet home base image will continue it's own iSqueak 3.8 road, and
> we need to track the critical changes, have repository for that?

It's not high priority at all to keep up with squeak releases.

> Will it matter, or be useful to the Croquet SDK development process to
> extend the existing sources (at http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/,
> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8889/ ), with fixes/new features for the
> current image (which was not updated for a long time, and may be changed
> radically in close source)?

The croquet sdk has been abandoned. All work is now being done
in cobalt.

Don't think so, that it is abandoned..
It's look like a temporary technical pause, connected with the new approaches to come up, like: full closures support, Cog VM, use Alien interface insted of FFI, pure Tweak home base image, not taking into account the full Tea time support and COLA architecture.
It is true, that some of the core Croquet developers are now at Qwaq, but they assure about open standards, that "Qwaq Forums is built upon the Croquet platform", it could means only that they still continue developing Croquet SDK, even being close sourced.
Clarification in that is meaningful to any application or SDK being developed in Croquet SDK, and even more to Open Cobalt project, which has already some code refactoring and new features. It could help to avoid extra work on core parts, which then could be not easy to integrate into the new version of Croquet, (if it will be of course), like Jasmine to Hedgehog transition with a lot of unported stuff till now.

Regards,
Nikolay