Croquet / Smalltalk

Rémi MARENCO
Hello !

I'm a french student, and for my placement in England, I need to work on Croquet.

But I have some problems. I have already studied dmu.com, squeakbyexample, ofset and croquet consortium but I don't know how to do my stuff.

In fact, I want to create two Croquet worlds. The first one will send to the second a xml document. When the second receive it, it opens a 2D portal and a form appears with fields already fill in by the XML document.

I have created a first form, a xml parser (a simplification) script but I don't know how to :

- Connect to a world (by the workspace)

- Send an object to a world (My XML document)
- Create an automatic script which be launched when we receive the XML document.
Thanks a lot,
Rémi Marenco

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !

Re: Croquet / Smalltalk

Darius Clarke
Hi Rémi,

To help us answer your question perhaps you could let us know which of Croquet's attributes helped you select it for your projects. Is it just the 3D, or is the the collaborative part? The reason I ask is that Croquet's claim to fame is that it parallel process the two collaborative 3D worlds. So if one makes a document in memory, even before it's saved to disc, it is duplicated in the memory of the other computer. So it's "sent" just in the process of creating it while the two worlds are connected. So, there's not time it's "received" as a trigger. In fact, every keystroke and mouse movement is "sent" between the two worlds. So, even if there was a trigger, it would be triggered on both machines at the same time.

How to "connect two worlds" has been under rapid development lately which has made it a bit more difficult ... temporarily. Are you trying to connect two world on the same LAN network?

Cheers,
Darius
________

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Rémi MARENCO <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Darius,

I have chosen this Croquet world for its collaborative attributes. I have seen the "replication" in Croquet documentation but I don't need to have a total access between the two worlds. It could be a solution but how the form-host world can see what has it been filled in by the client world ? Because when i try to modify something in the other world, i can't see it.
But I don't really want the client can see the form-host world.

Yes, I want to connect two worlds in the same LAN network for the tests but, in the future, the connection will be by internet.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Rémi Marenco

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !

RE: Croquet / Smalltalk

Rémi MARENCO
Hi all,

I have found what I was looking for :

All the explanations are in Island Kernel - Island of the class browser.

Kind regards,

Rémi

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !

RE: Croquet / Smalltalk

Rémi MARENCO
Hi all,

I have found what I was looking for :

All the explanations are in Island Kernel - Island of the class browser.

Kind regards,

Rémi

Vous voulez savoir ce que vous pouvez faire avec le nouveau Windows Live ? Lancez-vous !