Croquet Vista

Jeff VanDrimmelen
I know this is silly, but I just upgraded my system to Vista so I am assuming this is the reason it is not working anymore, but I can't get a any instance of a Croquet world to start.  I can start Squeak just fine, but when I try to drag any of the demo worlds into the Squeak environment I get errors like...

"Error: GL_ARB_transpose_matrix is not present"

If I close more errors just keep coming up.  At first I thought I had a bad download of the program, but alas, that didn't help anything.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for your help!

~Jeff

--
Jeff VanDrimmelen
Academic Computing Expert
UNC-CH

Re: Croquet Vista

Alistair Campbell
Hi Jeff,

I believe that Vista has no OpenGL support.
I'm not sure of the specific details, nor why this is the case, but I reckon that is the source of your issue.

Regards,
Alistair

On 07/11/2007, Jeff VanDrimmelen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know this is silly, but I just upgraded my system to Vista so I am assuming this is the reason it is not working anymore, but I can't get a any instance of a Croquet world to start.  I can start Squeak just fine, but when I try to drag any of the demo worlds into the Squeak environment I get errors like...

"Error: GL_ARB_transpose_matrix is not present"

If I close more errors just keep coming up.  At first I thought I had a bad download of the program, but alas, that didn't help anything.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks for your help!

~Jeff

--
Jeff VanDrimmelen
Academic Computing Expert
UNC-CH

Re: Croquet Vista

Alistair Campbell
Jeff,

It seems I was spreading not-completely-true rumours:
http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/
It may be that you'll need to go and download an installable OpenGL driver for Vista for your particular graphics card/device, probably from the manufacturer or vendor's website.

cheers,
Al.

On 07/11/2007, Alistair Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bert Freudenberg

On Nov 7, 2007, at 0:07 , Jeff VanDrimmelen wrote:

> I know this is silly, but I just upgraded my system to Vista so I
> am assuming this is the reason it is not working anymore, but I
> can't get a any instance of a Croquet world to start.  I can start
> Squeak just fine, but when I try to drag any of the demo worlds
> into the Squeak environment I get errors like...
>
> "Error: GL_ARB_transpose_matrix is not present"
>
> If I close more errors just keep coming up.  At first I thought I
> had a bad download of the program, but alas, that didn't help
> anything.
>
> Any ideas what may be causing this?

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6338

- Bert -

Re: Croquet Vista

ken.hubbell
Another problem may be that you multithreading set for the OpenGL card.
Look under the advanced properties for your card. This caused issues on
my laptop. Once I turned multithreading support off, everything worked
fine.

- Ken

Jeff VanDrimmelen wrote:

> I know this is silly, but I just upgraded my system to Vista so I am
> assuming this is the reason it is not working anymore, but I can't get
> a any instance of a Croquet world to start.  I can start Squeak just
> fine, but when I try to drag any of the demo worlds into the Squeak
> environment I get errors like...
>
> "Error: GL_ARB_transpose_matrix is not present"
>
> If I close more errors just keep coming up.  At first I thought I had
> a bad download of the program, but alas, that didn't help anything.
>
> Any ideas what may be causing this?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> ~Jeff
>
> --
> Jeff VanDrimmelen
> Academic Computing Expert
> UNC-CH

Re: Croquet Vista

Ric Moore
On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 10:10 +1100, Alistair Campbell wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I believe that Vista has no OpenGL support.
> I'm not sure of the specific details, nor why this is the case, but I
> reckon that is the source of your issue.
>
> Regards,
> Alistair
>
> On 07/11/2007, Jeff VanDrimmelen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         I know this is silly, but I just upgraded my system to Vista
>         so I am assuming this is the reason it is not working anymore,
>         but I can't get a any instance of a Croquet world to start.  I
>         can start Squeak just fine, but when I try to drag any of the
>         demo worlds into the Squeak environment I get errors like...
>
>         "Error: GL_ARB_transpose_matrix is not present"

That's what I ran into with Linux. Once I loaded the nVidia "drivers" it
worked like a charm. I beat myself up for a couple of months over this
same issue. You might wish to obtain your video card's vendor official
driver install for Vista and see if that corrects the deficiency.
Sometimes the openGL bits are proprietary.  Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too