Croquet and augmented reality.

Nikolay Suslov
What do you think about using Croquet SDK in augmented reality projects?
Just want to share, here is a link on my research experiments in this direction:
http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2007/02/croquet-realtime-3walls-art.html

Nikolay

Re: [croquet-user] Croquet and augmented reality.

Howard Stearns
I'd love to see this!

We did some purely virtual work with artist spaces in Croquet.
(http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/item/477). At that time, we had to run Croquet in
a pretty controlled setting, so all of the students were making their virtual
studios while sitting in the same physical computer lab room. We hadn't intended
to make it joint physical/virtual experience, but seeing the description of your
work, I wish we had planned on it!

Others have done some Croquet work with huge displays (Geowalls) that might be
of interest to you. (Maybe someone can chime in with a citation?)

And there's the Chibi-Robo project:
http://propella.blogspot.com/2005/08/tvml-crouqet-exhibition.html

Josh's old company did some early work on augmented reality video game
interfaces like what you now see in Playstation and Wii. There's been some neat
Squeak stuff like that too, and it might be neat to combine that with Croquet.

 From time to time one hears rumors about CAVE and military stuff. Maybe
something at http://www.3dsolve.com/croquet.html

--
Howard Stearns
University of Wisconsin - Madison
jabber:[hidden email]
voice:+1-608-262-3724

Re: Re: [croquet-user] Croquet and augmented reality.

Ric Moore
On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 13:59 -0600, Howard Stearns wrote:
> I'd love to see this!

Me too! I've done the patch thing to the new squeak tar file, but I'm
finding that tweak is failing miserably in the tests and/or seizing
Croquet up tight as a drum. So, I'm narrowing some it all down. I
thought I had the sound part beat, but now I'm getting /dev/dsp errors
when I crank up an multimedia app that uses sound. I blame that on alsa
though. It's hanging onto the sound device. I've seen it before.

This thing does have a steep learning curve, especially considering the
linux issues, but I give thanks that others are on top of it and issuing
the patches!! Thanx to all of you for keeping linux users in the loop.
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net