Croquet crashes under Linux

Alex Asimakopoulos
Hello, i have a problem running Croquet.sh via linux ubuntu, or fedora
all windows are transparent , and after i start Croquet master it is
suddenly closed after 1-2 seconds after the bunny apperas..

is there anything i can do?
is this a known problem?? squeakVM problem maybe?
thanx in advance!

regards,
Alex Asimakopoulos

Re: Croquet crashes under Linux

John Sennesael
Alex Asimakopoulos wrote:
> Hello, i have a problem running Croquet.sh via linux ubuntu, or fedora
> all windows are transparent , and after i start Croquet master it is
> suddenly closed after 1-2 seconds after the bunny apperas..
It would be helpful if you could provide us with any output from the
terminal and/or any error messages you see.

> is there anything i can do?
> is this a known problem?? squeakVM problem maybe?
The squeakVM and Croquet are working fine for me under GNU/Linux. But
there are many things that could potentially 'break' it. Make sure you
have the correct 3d video drivers installed so you have direct rendering
enabled. Also, I'm not sure how well Croquet would run under things like
beryl and compiz-fusion. So if you have those enabled, try disabling them.

(
To check if you have direct rendering on, run this in a terminal:

glxinfo | grep direct

The result should be:

direct rendering: Yes

)

If direct rendering is enabled and you tried running without
compiz/beryl, and it's still crashing, please provide us with some
output. Make sure you run ./Croquet.sh from a terminal as opposed to
launching it from a file manager so you can see output in the console.

John Sennesael

Re: Croquet crashes under Linux

Ric Moore
On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 09:54 +0200, Alex Asimakopoulos wrote:
> Hello, i have a problem running Croquet.sh via linux ubuntu, or fedora
> all windows are transparent , and after i start Croquet master it is
> suddenly closed after 1-2 seconds after the bunny apperas..
>
> is there anything i can do?
> is this a known problem?? squeakVM problem maybe?
> thanx in advance!

You didn't mention what video card you have. I fixed my issues with
Linux and Croquet using the nVidia driver straight from nVidia for my
nVidia 5200, which is getting long in the tooth.

I'm running Fedora Core 7 and had problems just as you describe. If you
have openGL installed then it walks over the factory
driver's /usr/lib/libGL* references. You'll be using software libGL
instead of hardware libGL embedded in the card. openGl is slow and thick
as molasses if you have some up-to-date video hardware to be used
instead.

I removed the standard install of openGL and re-ran the nVidia installer
from init level 3. You have to be out of X to modify X. (run level 5)
Just do the ctrl-alt-F2 to get to a text shell and login as root. Once
in at the command line, type init 3 and X will shut down. If you have
the nVidia run file in your current directory, just issue
"./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1-custom.run" and it'll fire up after
you agree to the license, and just let it run locally to compile the
driver and it's links.

I don't know about ATI or any of the others, my experience has been
purely with nVidia, which I happen to prefer over the others. But, this
got rid of 99% of the problems. Also, update Croquet fully. It's a
chore, but that got the remaining 1% of my video problems. Enjoy! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too