Croquet on Fedora Core 5

John Dougan
Many moons ago (April 26th) Eugen Leitl ([hidden email]) posted a
question regarding Croquet on Fedora Core 5 (x86_64) and a primitive
failure he received (https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=869448).  I
just ran into the same symptoms and not having seen any other answers
have dug up a partial solution.

I'm using FC5 on an old Athlon 650, with an nVidia GeForce 4 MX440. The
high-performance nVidia drivers (being unfree) are a separate
installation which has to be run every time there is a kernel upgrade
and this is a major pain. So at livna.org they've preassembled an RPM
installation package that involves far less hassle than the usual
installer.  This package installs the OpenGL libraries at
/usr/lib/nvidia and modifies xorg.conf so the server knows about it. The
Mesa OpenGL emulator libraries are left in the usual locations so the
package system doesn't go insane.

I tried changing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/lib/nvidia and that
didn't work, so then I changed the OGLUnix>>openGLLibraryName method to
return  '/usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1' and that seemed to help, at least
in part. There is no longer a primitive failure, however on my computer
the rendering is (very) incorrect. Other OpenGL programs are working
just fine. My attempts to install OpenGL using the nVidia installer have
so far been unsuccessful.

Maybe others will have more luck taking this further than myself.

 -- john dougan

--
John Dougan

Re: Croquet on Fedora Core 5

Eugen Leitl
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 05:28:12PM -0700, John Dougan wrote:

> Many moons ago (April 26th) Eugen Leitl ([hidden email]) posted a
> question regarding Croquet on Fedora Core 5 (x86_64) and a primitive
> failure he received (https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=869448).  I
> just ran into the same symptoms and not having seen any other answers
> have dug up a partial solution.

I think this might be due to OpenAL only being available as 64 bit
on my platform (FC5 x86_64), but I'm just guessing. I've given up
on this for time being.

ICBM: 48.07100, 11.36820            http://www.ativel.com
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE