Croquet on FreeBSD?

Howard Stearns
Has anyone tried Croquet on FreeBSD?

Any known issues for either Croquet or Squeak in general on FreeBSD?
There are some Squeak messages dating back to Squeak 3.4...

[I want to try putting a headless WiscWorlds router, and possibly a
continuity server on a machine whose sysadmin would like it to run
FreeBSD. FreeBSD seems to be popular with people running application-
server farms.]

Re: Croquet on FreeBSD?

Takeshi MUTOH
Hi, Howard.

At Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:05:23 -0500,
Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone tried Croquet on FreeBSD?

I can run Croquet with 3.9a-7 squeak-vm on FreeBSD.
Furthermore, you can run linux-vm with linuxlator and Windows-vm with
wine;-)

I think current squeak-vm can run Croquet image, because it has
Croquet-plugins.

How to run:
- Create 3.9a-7 vm with my private version ports at
        http://qml.610t.org/squeak/VM_en.html

- Download Croquet SDK 1.0 Beta for getting image
  (including other plathome vms;-) at
        http://www.opencroquet.org/
- Run Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/Croquet1.0.10.image.

If you want to play sound with OpenAL, some hack is needed for port
version audio/openal, because of FreeBSD pthread issue.
So, if you want to play OpenAL sound, I will send patch for you.

I have presentation this hack at Kansai * BSD Users Group meeting,
but it's Japanese.
# http://qml.610t.org/squeak/kbug.html

Thanks.
Takeshi MUTOH <[hidden email]>

Re: Croquet on FreeBSD?

Howard Stearns
Excellent! Thank you.

I was not able to translate your presentation, but do I understand
you correctly that the following are the main points for Croquet?
(I'm not an expert on FreeBSD, nor Linux.):

* FreeBSD on i386 hardware can run Linux binaries when the
appropriate additional Free BSD "ports" are installed. For Croquet,
these include: emulators/linux_base8, x11/linux-XFree86libs, graphics/
linux-dri, audio/linux-openal. (For a headless Croquet, the later
three might not be needed.) With these, the standard Linux VM that
comes with Croquet should work (which is version 3.9-4).

* Similarly for the standard Windows VM when using the FreeBSD
emulators/wine port, running with:
   wine path-to/Squeak.exe Croquet1.0.10.image

* The latest Squeak Unix VM, 3.9-7, can also be recompiled directly
on Free BSD, but it helps to have improvements that you've made
(e.g., to FFI). These are available at your http://qml.610t.org/
squeak/VM_en.html page. (OpenAL may require some additional changes.)

On Jul 28, 2006, at 8:19 PM, Takeshi MUTOH wrote:

> Hi, Howard.
>
> At Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:05:23 -0500,
> Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone tried Croquet on FreeBSD?
>
> I can run Croquet with 3.9a-7 squeak-vm on FreeBSD.
> Furthermore, you can run linux-vm with linuxlator and Windows-vm with
> wine;-)
>
> I think current squeak-vm can run Croquet image, because it has
> Croquet-plugins.
>
> How to run:
> - Create 3.9a-7 vm with my private version ports at
> http://qml.610t.org/squeak/VM_en.html
>
> - Download Croquet SDK 1.0 Beta for getting image
>   (including other plathome vms;-) at
> http://www.opencroquet.org/
> - Run Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta/Croquet1.0.10.image.
>
> If you want to play sound with OpenAL, some hack is needed for port
> version audio/openal, because of FreeBSD pthread issue.
> So, if you want to play OpenAL sound, I will send patch for you.
>

> I have presentation this hack at Kansai * BSD Users Group meeting,
> but it's Japanese.
> # http://qml.610t.org/squeak/kbug.html
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Takeshi MUTOH <[hidden email]>

Re: Croquet on FreeBSD?

Takeshi MUTOH
Sorry, my reply is too late.
I check new version of linux emulation based on Fedora Core 4.

First, you can use Croquet with linuxlator or wine, but it isn't
recommended. OpenGL acceleration using DRI can't work these situations.

If you can use FreeBSD native VM, it's good for performance.

And if you want to use linux-vm, you had better using under linux-OSes.

At Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:57:43 -0500,
Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was not able to translate your presentation, but do I understand
> you correctly that the following are the main points for Croquet?
> (I'm not an expert on FreeBSD, nor Linux.):
>
> * FreeBSD on i386 hardware can run Linux binaries when the
> appropriate additional Free BSD "ports" are installed. For Croquet,
> these include: emulators/linux_base8, x11/linux-XFree86libs, graphics/
> linux-dri, audio/linux-openal.

I update Croquet under linuxlator for current default linux emulator
based on Fedora Core 4.
Please see http://qml.610t.org/squeak/Croquet_linux_base_fc4.html .
# Sorry about broken English.

> (For a headless Croquet, the later
> three might not be needed.)

I'm sorry but I don't try headless Croquet.
So I don't know only linux_base-fc4 is needed.

> With these, the standard Linux VM that
> comes with Croquet should work (which is version 3.9-4).

Yes, detailed version is below.

surudoi [ squeak/images/Croquet_SDK_1.0_beta ] % bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak -version
3.9-4 #1 Wed Apr 19 00:48:37 PDT 2006 gcc 3.3.5
Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
Linux vps.piumarta.com 2.4.20-021stab028.18.777-enterprise #1 SMP Wed
Sep 14 19:34:46 MSD 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-4/*.so

> * The latest Squeak Unix VM, 3.9-7, can also be recompiled directly
> on Free BSD, but it helps to have improvements that you've made
> (e.g., to FFI). These are available at your http://qml.610t.org/
> squeak/VM_en.html page. (OpenAL may require some additional changes.)

Currently, FreeBSD ports' lang/squeak includes better FFI support, but
vm version is too old (3.6-4).
Now I am working on improvement FreeBSD ports lang/squeak, but 3.9-7
vm is not stable now. So I can't import this version of vm at FreeBSD
ports.
# Does anyone want lang/squeak-dev port ;-)?

And, OpenAL is need some patch with native vm.

Thanks.