Croquet vs Cobalt

Dominic Espinosa
Hello,

I've been examining Croquet in the last few weeks (reading docs, trying
out code), and I've also had a look at Cobalt. What is Cobalt, exactly?
At first I thought it was a kind of UI on top of Croquet, but some
discussions I've seen on this list have hinted that CroquetSDK proper is
obsolete, and developers should be working with Cobalt. Is that an
accurate statement?

Also, is there any sort of summary of substantive changes that have been
made to the Croquet system in Cobalt? At the moment it's hard for me to
see how Cobalt has updated/fixed the original CroquetSDK outside of the
UI layer.

Thanks.

Re: Croquet vs Cobalt

John Dougan
Croquet is an API for shared distributed computation (using the TeaTime
model) with some very compelling demos that involve 3D virtual worlds.
Cobalt is currently the _beginnings_ of an effort to build a
application, a 3D metaverse browser, using the Croquet system for
underpinnings. As part of this effort we are making an effort to clean
up parts of the Croquet code base as well as build out our own
functionality and UI. The plan is to push our modified Croquet
components back out once we're happy enough with them.

Cheers,
 -- John

--
John Dougan

Re: Croquet vs Cobalt

Hans N Beck-2
Hi John,

and who is "we" ? A "fixed" (in the sense of mostly the same people)
small group or  a big communitiy ?

Greetings

Hans

Am 12.09.2008 um 02:52 schrieb John Dougan:

> Croquet is an API for shared distributed computation (using the
> TeaTime model) with some very compelling demos that involve 3D
> virtual worlds.  Cobalt is currently the _beginnings_ of an effort
> to build a application, a 3D metaverse browser, using the Croquet
> system for underpinnings. As part of this effort we are making an
> effort to clean up parts of the Croquet code base as well as build
> out our own functionality and UI. The plan is to push our modified
> Croquet components back out once we're happy enough with them.
>
> Cheers,
> -- John
>
> Dominic Espinosa wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been examining Croquet in the last few weeks (reading docs,
>> trying
>> out code), and I've also had a look at Cobalt. What is Cobalt,
>> exactly?
>> At first I thought it was a kind of UI on top of Croquet, but some
>> discussions I've seen on this list have hinted that CroquetSDK
>> proper is
>> obsolete, and developers should be working with Cobalt. Is that an
>> accurate statement?
>>
>> Also, is there any sort of summary of substantive changes that have
>> been
>> made to the Croquet system in Cobalt? At the moment it's hard for
>> me to
>> see how Cobalt has updated/fixed the original CroquetSDK outside of
>> the
>> UI layer.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> --
> John Dougan

Re: Croquet vs Cobalt

John Dougan
At present "We" is a small group, however we're looking to grow and we
welcome participation.  Julian Lombardi and Mark McCahill, two of the
original Croquet team, want to continue their application level virtual
world projects that they started with the Croquet project. So, they
decided to fork off a separate open source project to keep the API
development and the application development projects cleanly separated.
All development done under the Cobalt brand is to be open source.

The current main page for Cobalt is at:
project issues currently lives there as well as proposed roadmaps and
resource pointers. There is a weekly Skype dev meeting on Wednesdays at
5pm US Eastern time, message me (skypeid: johnrdougan) to join.

Cheers,
 -- John

--
John Dougan

Re: Croquet vs Cobalt

Julian Lombardi-2
More info here:  http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Cobalt

-Julian

On Sep 12, 2008, at 11:47 AM, John Dougan wrote:

At present "We" is a small group, however we're looking to grow and we welcome participation.  Julian Lombardi and Mark McCahill, two of the original Croquet team, want to continue their application level virtual world projects that they started with the Croquet project. So, they decided to fork off a separate open source project to keep the API development and the application development projects cleanly separated. All development done under the Cobalt brand is to be open source.

The current main page for Cobalt is at:   http://groups.google.com/group/cobaltcroquet. The mailing list for project issues currently lives there as well as proposed roadmaps and resource pointers. There is a weekly Skype dev meeting on Wednesdays at 5pm US Eastern time, message me (skypeid: johnrdougan) to join.

Cheers,
-- John

Dominic Espinosa wrote:
Hello,

I've been examining Croquet in the last few weeks (reading docs, trying
out code), and I've also had a look at Cobalt. What is Cobalt, exactly?
At first I thought it was a kind of UI on top of Croquet, but some
discussions I've seen on this list have hinted that CroquetSDK proper is
obsolete, and developers should be working with Cobalt. Is that an
accurate statement?

Also, is there any sort of summary of substantive changes that have been
made to the Croquet system in Cobalt? At the moment it's hard for me to
see how Cobalt has updated/fixed the original CroquetSDK outside of the
UI layer.

Thanks.

--
John Dougan

John Dougan
[hidden email]

---------------------------
Julian Lombardi, Ph.D.
+1.919.323.5016 mobile
+1.919.684.2912 admin/scheduling
[hidden email] instant messaging
julianlombardi skype

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"  - Alan Kay

Re: Croquet vs Cobalt

Dominic Espinosa
Thanks for the information. I'll have a closer look at the Cobalt code
itself. One thing I'm immediately curious about (from the description of
the work being done on Cobalt) is the integration of other scripting
languages such as Javascript and Lua. Is it intended that users of
virtual worlds not have access to Smalltalk (Squeak) as the programming
language for the environment?

Another topic I'm acutely interested in is the management of permissions
(distinct from authentication) in shared virtual spaces. If user A
creates some interesting object, can users B and C be prevented from
modifying it? I read through the draft booklet at
http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Basic_Croquet-Cobalt_Island_Creator_Manual,
but it didn't discuss security very thoroughly. How is code on VR
objects prevented from arbitrarily accessing the user's computer system?
Obviously a user can't be permitted to send any message to any object,
right? I apologize if this is a naïve question, but pointers to classes,
code, docs, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.