Crypto package loading?

Tobias Pape
Dear all,

what is the currently preferred way to load
Cryptography into 4.3 or trunk?

On a side note, what is the status of Crypto going
into trunk?

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Crypto package loading?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> what is the currently preferred way to load
> Cryptography into 4.3 or trunk?

Load Cryptography-mtf.36 from squeaksource.com/Cryptography.

> On a side note, what is the status of Crypto going
> into trunk?

I think the package is ready, but it still needs some trimming/splitting.
Some tests fail due to difference between the old and the new #hex
implementation.

Levente

> Best
> -Tobias

Re: Crypto package loading?

Tobias Pape
Am 25.10.2012 um 13:24 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Tobias Pape wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> what is the currently preferred way to load
>> Cryptography into 4.3 or trunk?
>
> Load Cryptography-mtf.36 from squeaksource.com/Cryptography.

ok. who could put this into the Extending the system workspace?

>> On a side note, what is the status of Crypto going
>> into trunk?
>
> I think the package is ready, but it still needs some trimming/splitting. Some tests fail due to difference between the old and the new #hex implementation.

Was there anybody who volunteered for this task?

best
        -tobias

Re: Crypto package loading?

Frank Shearar-3
On 25 October 2012 12:38, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 25.10.2012 um 13:24 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Tobias Pape wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> what is the currently preferred way to load
>>> Cryptography into 4.3 or trunk?
>>
>> Load Cryptography-mtf.36 from squeaksource.com/Cryptography.
>
> ok. who could put this into the Extending the system workspace?

Would you mind providing some copy? I'm preparing the ReleaseBuilder
at the moment, so I can add the text.

>>> On a side note, what is the status of Crypto going
>>> into trunk?
>>
>> I think the package is ready, but it still needs some trimming/splitting. Some tests fail due to difference between the old and the new #hex implementation.

Is there a ConfigurationOfCrypto lying around? (If not, there should be.)

frank

> Was there anybody who volunteered for this task?
>
> best
>         -tobias

Re: Crypto package loading?

Tobias Pape
Am 25.10.2012 um 13:59 schrieb Frank Shearar:

> On 25 October 2012 12:38, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 25.10.2012 um 13:24 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:
>>
>>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Tobias Pape wrote:
>>>

>>> Load Cryptography-mtf.36 from squeaksource.com/Cryptography.
>>
>> ok. who could put this into the Extending the system workspace?
>
> Would you mind providing some copy? I'm preparing the ReleaseBuilder
> at the moment, so I can add the text.

What about:

"Cryptographic tools and hashes like DES, DSA, or MD5"
(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography')
        install: 'Cryptography-mtf.36'.

>>> I think the package is ready, but it still needs some trimming/splitting. Some tests fail due to difference between the old and the new #hex implementation.
>
> Is there a ConfigurationOfCrypto lying around? (If not, there should be.)

(I don't know of any. If there was, I deemed it preferable to the
installer statement I just gave).

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Crypto package loading?

Chris Muller-3
> ok. who could put this into the Extending the system workspace?

Guys, do we agree that, until we have a replacement, SqueakMap should
be the "App Store" for Squeak?

Extending the System workspace is going away.  No one should be doing
any work there other than removing it.

>>> On a side note, what is the status of Crypto going
>>> into trunk?

Since so many types of apps do not need any cryptography, I think it
should remain a separately loadable package.

Re: Crypto package loading?

Frank Shearar-3
On 26 October 2012 19:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ok. who could put this into the Extending the system workspace?
>
> Guys, do we agree that, until we have a replacement, SqueakMap should
> be the "App Store" for Squeak?
>
> Extending the System workspace is going away.  No one should be doing
> any work there other than removing it.

It's a chunk of text telling people how to load things. While I agree
that SqueakMap ought to be the place to go, it isn't right at the
moment. However, I'd be happy to regard that (pushing SM, getting it
properly on track etc) as being a core part of 4.5.

> Since so many types of apps do not need any cryptography, I think it
> should remain a separately loadable package.

Agreed. Strip more stuff out the image, and make it much easier to
load packages.

frank

Re: Crypto package loading?

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:28:09PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 26 October 2012 19:48, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> ok. who could put this into the Extending the system workspace?
> >
> > Guys, do we agree that, until we have a replacement, SqueakMap should
> > be the "App Store" for Squeak?
> >
> > Extending the System workspace is going away.  No one should be doing
> > any work there other than removing it.
>
> It's a chunk of text telling people how to load things. While I agree
> that SqueakMap ought to be the place to go, it isn't right at the
> moment. However, I'd be happy to regard that (pushing SM, getting it
> properly on track etc) as being a core part of 4.5.

SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.

If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5. And if it is not important
enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.

Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
included in the image.

Dave

> > Since so many types of apps do not need any cryptography, I think it
> > should remain a separately loadable package.
>
> Agreed. Strip more stuff out the image, and make it much easier to
> load packages.
>
> frank

SqueakMap ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?)

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-10-26 7:10 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>
> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5. And if it is not important
> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>
> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
> included in the image.
>
> Dave

On SqueakMap, FWIW, I'd recommend these changes:

1. When it moves to the new server, discontinue the web access. Make it
GUI access only. Updating the SqueakMap server as seen at map.squeak.org
is endless, tedious, and superfluous.

2. Make Chris Muller's "Create New Release" GUI app the only way to add
a new release.

http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6181

3. Remove "SqueakMap Categories" from the "open..." menu because it's
redundant. Replace it with "Create SqueakMap Release" so it's easy to
find Chris M.'s GUI app.

4. Encourage people to load scripts into the "Create New Release" GUI
app, so applications, not packages, are installed with a single click.

http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6182

Chris

Re: Crypto package loading?

Chris Muller-3
 Just a reminder here are the instructions for publishing on SqueakMap.

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6181

I intend to publish new versions of all of my projects once 4.4 is
released.  If we all will do that a nice list of external loadable
packages accumulates for Squeak 4.4.  I'll help if anyone has trouble
with that.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Guys, do we agree that, until we have a replacement, SqueakMap should
>> > be the "App Store" for Squeak?
>> >
>> > Extending the System workspace is going away.  No one should be doing
>> > any work there other than removing it.
>>
>> It's a chunk of text telling people how to load things. While I agree
>> that SqueakMap ought to be the place to go, it isn't right at the
>> moment. However, I'd be happy to regard that (pushing SM, getting it
>> properly on track etc) as being a core part of 4.5.
>
> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>
> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5. And if it is not important
> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>
> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
> included in the image.
>
> Dave

>> > Since so many types of apps do not need any cryptography, I think it
>> > should remain a separately loadable package.
>>
>> Agreed. Strip more stuff out the image, and make it much easier to
>> load packages.
>>
>> frank

Re: Crypto package loading?

Frank Shearar-3
On 27 October 2012 00:10, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Guys, do we agree that, until we have a replacement, SqueakMap should
>> > be the "App Store" for Squeak?
>> >
>> > Extending the System workspace is going away.  No one should be doing
>> > any work there other than removing it.
>>
>> It's a chunk of text telling people how to load things. While I agree
>> that SqueakMap ought to be the place to go, it isn't right at the
>> moment. However, I'd be happy to regard that (pushing SM, getting it
>> properly on track etc) as being a core part of 4.5.
>
> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>
> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5.

My point in mentioning 4.5 is that we're (_I'm_) currently behind on
the 4.4 release, and I don't want to see effort diverted to things
that cause further delay. It would be much more helpful for the
community to beat the MC tests into being clean, for instance.

> And if it is not important
> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>
> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
> included in the image.

"Putting it into extending the system workspace" is about maybe 5
seconds of effort. At any rate, I need to concentrate on the 4.4
release, but if someone wants to SM-ify Crypto, then why not add "get
it at SM by evaluating this" to the workspace?

I certainly didn't mean to suggest leaving SM to languish. I'd be very
happy to have it, because our current infrastructure ("our" includes
Pharo) is extremely fragile and heavily depends on quite a few single
points of failure (squeaksource.com, ss3.gemstone.com, ...). SM ought
to help with that (as long as it itself is highly available).

frank

> Dave

>> > Since so many types of apps do not need any cryptography, I think it
>> > should remain a separately loadable package.
>>
>> Agreed. Strip more stuff out the image, and make it much easier to
>> load packages.
>>
>> frank

Re: Crypto package loading?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 27 October 2012 00:10, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It's a chunk of text telling people how to load things. While I agree
>>> that SqueakMap ought to be the place to go, it isn't right at the
>>> moment. However, I'd be happy to regard that (pushing SM, getting it
>>> properly on track etc) as being a core part of 4.5.
>>
>> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
>> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>>
>> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
>> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5.
>
> My point in mentioning 4.5 is that we're (_I'm_) currently behind on
> the 4.4 release, and I don't want to see effort diverted to things
> that cause further delay. It would be much more helpful for the
> community to beat the MC tests into being clean, for instance.
>
>> And if it is not important
>> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's probably
>> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
>> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>>
>> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to help
>> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of us,
>> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite package
>> included in the image.
>
> "Putting it into extending the system workspace" is about maybe 5
> seconds of effort. At any rate, I need to concentrate on the 4.4
> release, but if someone wants to SM-ify Crypto, then why not add "get
> it at SM by evaluating this" to the workspace?
>
> I certainly didn't mean to suggest leaving SM to languish. I'd be very
> happy to have it, because our current infrastructure ("our" includes
> Pharo) is extremely fragile and heavily depends on quite a few single
> points of failure (squeaksource.com, ss3.gemstone.com, ...). SM ought
> to help with that (as long as it itself is highly available).

SqueakMap is intended to be used as a catalog of load scripts (just like
the "Extending the system" workspace). Those scripts still depend on
external sites.

Levente

> frank
>
>> Dave

>>> Agreed. Strip more stuff out the image, and make it much easier to
>>> load packages.
>>>
>>> frank

Re: Crypto package loading?

Frank Shearar-3
On 27 October 2012 12:57, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

>>> SqueakMap is not something to be done some time in the indefinite future.
>>> It has been around a long time, and we just need to *use* it.
>>>
>>> If a package is important enough to put on SqueakMap, then just do it. It
>>> won't get any easier by waiting until Squeak 4.5.
>>

>> My point in mentioning 4.5 is that we're (_I'm_) currently behind on
>> the 4.4 release, and I don't want to see effort diverted to things
>> that cause further delay. It would be much more helpful for the
>> community to beat the MC tests into being clean, for instance.
>>
>>> And if it is not important
>>> enough to be worth the trouble of listing it on SqueakMap, then it's
>>> probably
>>> not very important and there would be little point in putting it into the
>>> extending the system workspace or adding it to the image.
>>>
>>> Chris is giving good advice here. If the rest of us make an effort to
>>> help
>>> out by registering important packages on SqueakMap it will help all of
>>> us,
>>> and nobody will need to worry about lobbying to get their favorite
>>> package
>>> included in the image.
>>

>> "Putting it into extending the system workspace" is about maybe 5
>> seconds of effort. At any rate, I need to concentrate on the 4.4
>> release, but if someone wants to SM-ify Crypto, then why not add "get
>> it at SM by evaluating this" to the workspace?
>>
>> I certainly didn't mean to suggest leaving SM to languish. I'd be very
>> happy to have it, because our current infrastructure ("our" includes
>> Pharo) is extremely fragile and heavily depends on quite a few single
>> points of failure (squeaksource.com, ss3.gemstone.com, ...). SM ought
>> to help with that (as long as it itself is highly available).
>

> SqueakMap is intended to be used as a catalog of load scripts (just like the
> "Extending the system" workspace). Those scripts still depend on external
> sites.

Yes, and if that catalogue's hosted on a single machine, noone will be
able to load anything at all :) (because it's unlikely anyone will
keep backup references to where the packages comes from).

Let's shelve this discussion until post 4.4 release?

frank

> Levente
>

>> frank
>>
>>> Dave

Re: SqueakMap ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?)

Chris Muller-3
> On SqueakMap, FWIW, I'd recommend these changes:
>
> 1. When it moves to the new server, discontinue the web access. Make it GUI
> access only. Updating the SqueakMap server as seen at map.squeak.org is
> endless, tedious, and superfluous.

We still need the web interface to do other things like creating new
Packages and maintaining Categories, among a few more use-cases.  We
cannot get rid of it yet, but the server is some of the most difficult
code to maintain -- so I'd be all for the notion of a complete
replacement using Altitude or any other web-framework.  Someone was
working on that at one point (Green-Neon).  ;)  Given Squeak's web
capability, it seems like it would not be that hard given that the SM
domain model is small and fairly simple (and could even stand to be
simplified a bit more).

> 3. Remove "SqueakMap Categories" from the "open..." menu because it's
> redundant.

+1

> Replace it with "Create SqueakMap Release" so it's easy to find
> Chris M.'s GUI app.

I think creating a Release is an operation that can only happen in the
context of a selected Package, so it may not be a simple matter to put
that on the open... menu.

> 4. Encourage people to load scripts into the "Create New Release" GUI app,
> so applications, not packages, are installed with a single click.
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6182

Yes, and to Frank's concern about HA, recall that SM has always worked
by downloading a copy of its domain model to the local machine.

There is no doubt that SqueakMap domain, server and UI need to be
simplified and/or replaced, but until someone can step up to do it,
what we have now at least works for a crude App Store.

Thanks.

On 2012-10-27 1:25 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

>> On SqueakMap, FWIW, I'd recommend these changes:
>>
>> 1. When it moves to the new server, discontinue the web access. Make it GUI
>> access only. Updating the SqueakMap server as seen at map.squeak.org is
>> endless, tedious, and superfluous.
> We still need the web interface to do other things like creating new
> Packages and maintaining Categories, among a few more use-cases.  We
> cannot get rid of it yet, but the server is some of the most difficult
> code to maintain -- so I'd be all for the notion of a complete
> replacement using Altitude or any other web-framework.  Someone was
> working on that at one point (Green-Neon).  ;)  Given Squeak's web
> capability, it seems like it would not be that hard given that the SM
> domain model is small and fairly simple (and could even stand to be
> simplified a bit more).
>
>> 3. Remove "SqueakMap Categories" from the "open..." menu because it's
>> redundant.
> +1
>
>> Replace it with "Create SqueakMap Release" so it's easy to find
>> Chris M.'s GUI app.
> I think creating a Release is an operation that can only happen in the
> context of a selected Package, so it may not be a simple matter to put
> that on the open... menu.
>
>> 4. Encourage people to load scripts into the "Create New Release" GUI app,
>> so applications, not packages, are installed with a single click.
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org:8080/squeak/6182
> Yes, and to Frank's concern about HA, recall that SM has always worked
> by downloading a copy of its domain model to the local machine.
>
> There is no doubt that SqueakMap domain, server and UI need to be
> simplified and/or replaced, but until someone can step up to do it,
> what we have now at least works for a crude App Store.
>
> Thanks.

I think there needs to be a server for SqueakMap, but I don't think that
server should have a public interface.

SqueakMap shouldn't have releases, only a single Installer script per
application. The package and release distinctions need to be put aside.
There shouldn't be one package with lots of releases. If people want to
explore releases or versions, they can go to SqS or SqS3. Part of the
confusion is that package names are also the names of the applications.
SqueakMap should be about applications, not packages or releases. And
for each application, there should be only one Installer script. There
should be no categories publicly changeable by users. Only
administrators. You have a GUI for downloading something from SqueakMap
and a GUI, a reworked version of Chris M.'s new release GUI, to add an
application to the map or to change an existing Installer script. SM
should list, add and execute Installer scripts.

That's it. The taxonomy and nomenclature here needs to change from
category, package, and release to application and script. SM today does
too many things.  A new SM should do one thing - download applications.
If people want to move beyond that simplicity, then can read the
installer script readily visible and pursue the constituent packages
spread into releases available at a public repository like SqS or SqS3.

Chris

Re: SqueakMap ( was Re: [squeak-dev] Crypto package loading?)

Chris Muller-3
Chris, that completely ignores what got SqueakMap into trouble in the
first place.  The primary requirements are:

  1) A trunk-like process for each application.  Install or Update the
"head" release of an application.
  2) Install an EXACT configuration of an application that is *known
to work* with a exact version of Squeak.  This is needed to protect
the works themselves from bit-rot, so they can be brought forward more
easily.  Not everyone is operating off the trunk.
  3) Quality over quantity.  If an application is in the list, *it
must work*.  That's why, with each new Squeak release, the list of
loadable applications is blank until authors manually tag a Release to
work with that new version of Squeak.

While I'm all for some simplifications, Releases and Categories are
are absolutely essential to the model.

See:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182
   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6183