Cryptographic Primitives

Ron Teitelbaum

All,

We are considering adding a few more Cryptographic Primitives.  We have had problems with having to support the primitives externally.  We believe that the community would benefit from lowering the cost of entry to cryptographic functionality.  The Cryptographic primitives are very small, but benefit greatly from primitive implementations because of the intensive math calculations.

I would like to ask the community to include the DES code and new primitives that we are considering internally in the base distributed VM’s so that they are available for everyone.  Since the code is so small could we consider including it internally?

Thank you for your consideration,

Ron Teitelbaum

Squeak Cryptography Team Leader

Re: Cryptographic Primitives

timrowledge

On 5-Oct-06, at 8:29 AM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> All,
>

> We are considering adding a few more Cryptographic Primitives.

Ron, all you need to do is split out the plugin changes you need and
send them to me; assuming I can understand the code well enough to
feel it is safe I will add it to the next release of VMMaker. Is this
a new plugin, or are you wanting to expend an existing one?

Any in-image code needs to be separately considered by whoever is
going to handle integration. I suggest you make thre mantis reports
a) one to cover 'adding crypto wotsits'
b) one for crypo VM changes - relate it to a and assign it to me
c) one for image changes - relate it to a and hope that someone will
wave their hand to say they are the harvester
Then when both b & c are resolved you will know that a is finished. I
like hierarchical work reports.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac ut vivas. = Get a life.

RE: Cryptographic Primitives

Ron Teitelbaum
Thanks Tim the process sounds fine but before we go to the effort I would
like to know if there is a consensus that this is a good thing to do.

Do you agree it is a worthwhile effort and a reasonable goal to include
these little primitives internally in the distributed VM's?

> Tim:
> Is this
> a new plugin, or are you wanting to expend an existing one?

I would like to have the DESPlugin which is already a part of the VMMaker
compiled internally in the distributed VM's, and we are considering writing
others to speed up implementations.

Ron