[Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

keith1y
Juan,

Do you have any thoughts you would like to share about on what you
want do about this issue?

I wonder if there is any documentation on the 3.11-trunk
implementation of method trailers? Does it meet the simplicity
criteria for Cuis?

I have working a StandardSourceFileArrayPlus which multiplies the
existing sourceFile pointer by 16 giving a theoretical sources/changes
limit of 512Mb. This seems to work ok as an experiment.

Keith

Re: [Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010, keith wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Do you have any thoughts you would like to share about on what you want do
> about this issue?
>
> I wonder if there is any documentation on the 3.11-trunk implementation of
> method trailers? Does it meet the simplicity criteria for Cuis?

See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7428 and the class comment of
CompiledMethodTrailer. The code in the Trunk is a bit different from
what the changesets contain.

Levente

> I have working a StandardSourceFileArrayPlus which multiplies the existing
> sourceFile pointer by 16 giving a theoretical sources/changes limit of 512Mb.
> This seems to work ok as an experiment.
>
> Keith

Re: [Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

Igor Stasenko
On 14 February 2010 16:13, keith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Do you have any thoughts you would like to share about on what you want do
> about this issue?
>
> I wonder if there is any documentation on the 3.11-trunk implementation of
> method trailers? Does it meet the simplicity criteria for Cuis?
>
> I have working a StandardSourceFileArrayPlus which multiplies the existing
> sourceFile pointer by 16 giving a theoretical sources/changes limit of
> 512Mb. This seems to work ok as an experiment.

New trailers imposing no limit to a file size. It can be of any size.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

keith1y

On 14 Feb 2010, at 21:22, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 14 February 2010 16:13, keith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Juan,
>>
>> Do you have any thoughts you would like to share about on what you
>> want do
>> about this issue?
>>
>> I wonder if there is any documentation on the 3.11-trunk
>> implementation of
>> method trailers? Does it meet the simplicity criteria for Cuis?
>>
>> I have working a StandardSourceFileArrayPlus which multiplies the
>> existing
>> sourceFile pointer by 16 giving a theoretical sources/changes limit
>> of
>> 512Mb. This seems to work ok as an experiment.
>>

> New trailers imposing no limit to a file size. It can be of any size.
>
>> Keith

Thanks Igor,

I understood that bit.

My question is whether Juan has an opinion on your implementation with
regards simplicity/elegance/economy and his goals for Cuis.

My use of Cuis is always building from the base start image so I am
unlikely to hit the limit any time soon, however the limit can be
extended to 512MB with about 4 methods, once the System-Sources
refactoring I am working on is complete (i.e. moving references to
RemoteString into the System-Sources package).

It may be simpler to use my solution, however it might be useful for
you to give us some indication of what the trade-offs are. Memory
overhead etc.

The cost of my solution is that the sources/changes files bloat by
roughly 0.03% as records are padded to be saved on 16 byte boundaries.

regards

Keith

Re: [Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

Juan Vuletich-4
keith wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2010, at 21:22, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> On 14 February 2010 16:13, keith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Juan,
>>>
>>> Do you have any thoughts you would like to share about on what you
>>> want do
>>> about this issue?
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is any documentation on the 3.11-trunk
>>> implementation of
>>> method trailers? Does it meet the simplicity criteria for Cuis?
>>>
>>> I have working a StandardSourceFileArrayPlus which multiplies the
>>> existing
>>> sourceFile pointer by 16 giving a theoretical sources/changes limit of
>>> 512Mb. This seems to work ok as an experiment.
>>>

>> New trailers imposing no limit to a file size. It can be of any size.
>>
>>> Keith
>
> Thanks Igor,
>
> I understood that bit.
>
> My question is whether Juan has an opinion on your implementation with
> regards simplicity/elegance/economy and his goals for Cuis.

Not yet. I need to actually look at it.

> My use of Cuis is always building from the base start image so I am
> unlikely to hit the limit any time soon, however the limit can be
> extended to 512MB with about 4 methods, once the System-Sources
> refactoring I am working on is complete (i.e. moving references to
> RemoteString into the System-Sources package).

I'd like to see that refactoring, and to load it into Cuis. Please tell
when it is complete.

> It may be simpler to use my solution, however it might be useful for
> you to give us some indication of what the trade-offs are. Memory
> overhead etc.
>
> The cost of my solution is that the sources/changes files bloat by
> roughly 0.03% as records are padded to be saved on 16 byte boundaries.

That's zero cost to me. Besides 512Mb sounds like enough not to worry
about it anymore. On the other hand, loading Method Trailers could have
some other uses, and it would mean syncing CompiledMethod with trunk,
which is a good thing.

> regards
>
> Keith

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

Juan Vuletich-4
Juan Vuletich wrote:

> keith wrote:

>>> New trailers imposing no limit to a file size. It can be of any size.

>> Thanks Igor,
>>
>> I understood that bit.
>>
>> My question is whether Juan has an opinion on your implementation
>> with regards simplicity/elegance/economy and his goals for Cuis.
>
> Not yet. I need to actually look at it.
>
>> My use of Cuis is always building from the base start image so I am
>> unlikely to hit the limit any time soon, however the limit can be
>> extended to 512MB with about 4 methods, once the System-Sources
>> refactoring I am working on is complete (i.e. moving references to
>> RemoteString into the System-Sources package).
>
> I'd like to see that refactoring, and to load it into Cuis. Please
> tell when it is complete.
>
>> It may be simpler to use my solution, however it might be useful for
>> you to give us some indication of what the trade-offs are. Memory
>> overhead etc.
>>
>> The cost of my solution is that the sources/changes files bloat by
>> roughly 0.03% as records are padded to be saved on 16 byte boundaries.
>
> That's zero cost to me. Besides 512Mb sounds like enough not to worry
> about it anymore. On the other hand, loading Method Trailers could
> have some other uses, and it would mean syncing CompiledMethod with
> trunk, which is a good thing.
>
>> regards
>>
>> Keith
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Hi Keith,

I took a look at Method Trailers and I can tell you I won't be loading
it anytime soon. Please keep me posted on the progress of your approach.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich