Cuis logo?

12

Cuis logo?

Geert Claes
Administrator
I was just looking through the forums at forum.world.st and noticed that Cuis is one of a few forums that does not have a logo?

So, quick question, does Cuis have a logo at all?  I couldn't find a logo on http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html nor a description of the origin the name for Cuis Smalltalk?  Anyhow, a quick Google of Cuis and the fact that it is derived from Squeak makes me assume that it refers to Galea musteloides which is found in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and Peru?

Re: Cuis logo?

Angel Java Lopez
And Ecuador! Cuenca delicatessen ;-)

Cuy (or Guinea Pig) is a delicacy here, much the same way lobster tail is considered in the  U.S.A. It  tastes a lot like the dark meat of a chicken with a garlic undertone. The best cuy in Cuenca is served at the restaurant, Guajibamba (Luis Cordero 12-32), and although it is $19, it comes with a big bowl of potatoes and can be split about four ways (depending on how much each person eats). Also, the wait staff at Guajibamba will be more than happy to take you out  back and show you where they cook the cuy… when in Rome, eat Pasta, and when in Ecuador, try cuy!

Photo at:

Cuis <http://cuis.forum.world.st>   is one of a few forums that does not

musteloides <https://www.google.com/search?q=Galea+musteloides>   which is
found in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and Peru?

Re: Cuis logo?

Geert Claes
Administrator
Okay, thanks .... maybe someone should update https://www.google.com/search?q=Galea+musteloides which is where I got my info from :)

Re: Cuis logo?

Hannes Hirzel
Juan Vuletich wrote last June on this list

"Cuis is the vulgar name for small country side rodents in Argentina
and elsewhere. I guess it applies to any member of the Caviinae
subfamily, including Microcavia and Galea.

Besides, here, 'cuis' is the onomatopoeia for the sound small rodents
make, such as 'squeak' is in English."

--Hannes

On 1/17/13, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, thanks .... maybe someone should update
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Galea+musteloides which is where I got my
> info from :)

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino

I am terribly bad drawing, but it would be nice to have a logo Cuis.

Any volunteers?

2013/1/17 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Juan Vuletich wrote last June on this list

"Cuis is the vulgar name for small country side rodents in Argentina
and elsewhere. I guess it applies to any member of the Caviinae
subfamily, including Microcavia and Galea.

Besides, here, 'cuis' is the onomatopoeia for the sound small rodents
make, such as 'squeak' is in English."

--Hannes

On 1/17/13, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Okay, thanks .... maybe someone should update
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Galea+musteloides which is where I got my
> info from :)

Sincerely,
Germán Arduino
about.me/garduino

Re: Cuis logo?

Geert Claes
Administrator
I found a graphical designer who is willing to create a logo for Cuis Smalltalk.  He just wants to be credited as the author of the logo.  What do you think?

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino
I think that the opinion that count here is the opinion from Juan, the author....

2013/1/17 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>
I found a graphical designer who is willing to create a logo for Cuis
Smalltalk.  He just wants to be credited as the author of the logo.  What do
you think?

Re: Cuis logo?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Geert,

Thanks for the offer. I think proper attribution is totally ok. What I
can not promise is that we'll like it and adopt it...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Geert Claes wrote:

> I found a graphical designer who is willing to create a logo for Cuis
> Smalltalk.  He just wants to be credited as the author of the logo.  What do
> you think?

Re: Cuis logo?

KenDickey
I am using a thumbnail of the attached graphic for Cuis image files.

I found the original on page:

 http://www.miblogdelamor.com/2010/06/los-cuyes-mas-graciosos-que-he-visto.html

I don't know the copyright status, but we could ask if it is free to use.

Anyway, the image looks right to me!  ;^)

Cheers,
-KenD

cuy gracioso 3.jpg (48K) Download Attachment
-KenD

Re: Cuis logo?

Juan Vuletich-4
It is indeed a very good one!

Yes, please ask. Maybe we'll need to choose between several options.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Ken Dickey wrote:

> I am using a thumbnail of the attached graphic for Cuis image files.
>
> I found the original on page:
>
>  http://www.miblogdelamor.com/2010/06/los-cuyes-mas-graciosos-que-he-visto.html
>
> I don't know the copyright status, but we could ask if it is free to use.
>
> Anyway, the image looks right to me!  ;^)
>
> Cheers,
> -KenD

Re: Cuis logo?

Geert Claes
Administrator
Righto, I've asked him (Andrea Austoni) to go ahead. He's busy this now but said he'll put something together next week.

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino
Excellent, thanks!

We need a logo!!

2013/1/17 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>
Righto, I've asked him (Andrea Austoni) to go ahead. He's busy this now but
said he'll put something together next week.

Re: Cuis logo?

KenDickey
There are a number of public domain / free to use images in the Wikimedia Commons.

  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cavia_porcellus

Attached is one I like.

FYI,
-KenD

540px-Cavia.jpg (158K) Download Attachment
-KenD

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino
Hi Ken:

I personally prefer a real logo, not an image. A logo that we can use as favicon, as in images saying "Powered by Cuis", etc.

--
Sincerely,
Germán Arduino

2013/1/17 Ken Dickey <[hidden email]>
There are a number of public domain / free to use images in the Wikimedia Commons.

  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cavia_porcellus

Attached is one I like.

FYI,
-KenD

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino

2013/1/19 Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>
I tried my hand at this awhile back, but it was rather a challenge, as I have never seen a yellow toothed cavy in person, and I wasn't happy with anything I came up with. It's something we should do. We should probably be very careful about it, as it's a decision which can be difficult to reverse.

Hi Casey:

Most of the pics I saw here are not of the Cuis from Argentina.

The real Cuis here is a rodent of grey color, as the followings:

Just my two cents about the "Argentinian Cuis"

--
Sincerely,
Germán Arduino

Re: Cuis logo?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

On 1/19/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/1/19 Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>
>
>> I tried my hand at this awhile back, but it was rather a challenge, as I
>> have never seen a yellow toothed cavy in person, and I wasn't happy with
>> anything I came up with. It's something we should do. We should probably
>> be
>> very careful about it, as it's a decision which can be difficult to
>> reverse.
>

> Hi Casey:
>
> Most of the pics I saw here are not of the Cuis from Argentina.
>
> The real Cuis here is a rodent of grey color, as the followings:
>
> http://naturalezayculturaargentina.blogspot.com.ar/2011/10/el-cuis-grande.html

Yes, thank you Germán for identifying this blog about flora and fauna
of Argentina.

The Cuis Grande looks fine to me.

Maybe somebody can trace the outline with one of the tools available
on the internet.
For example of this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tX9a2mjz4Bg/TokwKHpqJWI/AAAAAAAAEiw/AjGwhoLC8B4/s1600/Cavia+aperea+001.JPG

picture

Kind regards
--Hannes

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino
This is a nice pic also:

2013/1/19 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
Hello

On 1/19/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2013/1/19 Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>
>
>> I tried my hand at this awhile back, but it was rather a challenge, as I
>> have never seen a yellow toothed cavy in person, and I wasn't happy with
>> anything I came up with. It's something we should do. We should probably
>> be
>> very careful about it, as it's a decision which can be difficult to
>> reverse.
>

> Hi Casey:
>
> Most of the pics I saw here are not of the Cuis from Argentina.
>
> The real Cuis here is a rodent of grey color, as the followings:
>
> http://naturalezayculturaargentina.blogspot.com.ar/2011/10/el-cuis-grande.html

Yes, thank you Germán for identifying this blog about flora and fauna
of Argentina.

The Cuis Grande looks fine to me.

Maybe somebody can trace the outline with one of the tools available
on the internet.
For example of this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tX9a2mjz4Bg/TokwKHpqJWI/AAAAAAAAEiw/AjGwhoLC8B4/s1600/Cavia+aperea+001.JPG

picture

Kind regards
--Hannes

Sincerely,
Germán Arduino
about.me/garduino

Re: Cuis logo?

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/19/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a nice pic also:
>
> http://www.reservacostanera.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cuis-cavia-aperea1-HH.jpg

Yes,
the question is

do we want the whole animal or only the head?

--Hannes

> 2013/1/19 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello

>> > Hi Casey:
>> >
>> > Most of the pics I saw here are not of the Cuis from Argentina.
>> >
>> > The real Cuis here is a rodent of grey color, as the followings:
>> >

>> http://naturalezayculturaargentina.blogspot.com.ar/2011/10/el-cuis-grande.html
>>
>> Yes, thank you Germán for identifying this blog about flora and fauna
>> of Argentina.
>>
>> The Cuis Grande looks fine to me.
>>
>> Maybe somebody can trace the outline with one of the tools available
>> on the internet.
>> For example of this
>>

>> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tX9a2mjz4Bg/TokwKHpqJWI/AAAAAAAAEiw/AjGwhoLC8B4/s1600/Cavia+aperea+001.JPG
>>
>> picture
>>

>> Kind regards
>> --Hannes

> Sincerely,
> Germán Arduino
> about.me/garduino

Re: Cuis logo?

garduino
mm, I don't know, I think in a logo (not a pic) that outline a Cuis and, may be, something related to Smalltalk.....but I'm terribly bad at graphics....

2013/1/19 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
On 1/19/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes,
the question is

do we want the whole animal or only the head?

--Hannes

> 2013/1/19 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hello

>> > Hi Casey:
>> >
>> > Most of the pics I saw here are not of the Cuis from Argentina.
>> >
>> > The real Cuis here is a rodent of grey color, as the followings:
>> >

>> http://naturalezayculturaargentina.blogspot.com.ar/2011/10/el-cuis-grande.html
>>
>> Yes, thank you Germán for identifying this blog about flora and fauna
>> of Argentina.
>>
>> The Cuis Grande looks fine to me.
>>
>> Maybe somebody can trace the outline with one of the tools available
>> on the internet.
>> For example of this
>>

>> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tX9a2mjz4Bg/TokwKHpqJWI/AAAAAAAAEiw/AjGwhoLC8B4/s1600/Cavia+aperea+001.JPG
>>
>> picture