Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Bruce O'Neel-2
Hi,

What's the current state of the ARM 64 cog VM?  Does it build?  If not, what magic is needed...

Thanks.

bruce

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
On 11/9/20 3:34 PM, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> What's the current state of the ARM 64 cog VM?  Does it build?  If not,
> what magic is needed...

I can report successful builds on an Alpine-Linux musl platform as of a
couple of weeks back, so if nothing major has thrown a spanner in the
works since then, you should be good to go.

Tony

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Bruce,

> On Nov 9, 2020, at 6:35 AM, Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> What's the current state of the ARM 64 cog VM?  Does it build?  If not, what magic is needed...

The Linux build.linux64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur VM , using a dual-mapped code zone so far works on all 64-bit Linux distros people have tried.  The Apple Silicon port is “in preparation”; I have a developer beta machine, actually a second that I’m trying to setup after an unsuccessful OS upgrade borked the previous one.  The build.macos64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur VM builds, but because lldb doesn’t yet launch the program I haven’t sorted out the mapping for the code zone there-on, which uses a different scheme because of Apple’s non-standard MAP_JIT map scheme for dynamically generated code. But it should only be a few days of engineering effort away, effort they may take many weeks to complete, given pressure of work.

And the squeak.stack.spur interpreter works on both Linux and MacOS.

> Thanks.
>
> bruce

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

darth-cheney
Hello all,

What are the "canonical" instructions for building the ARM64 linux VM (regardless of distro)?

--
Eric

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Eliot Miranda-2

> On Nov 9, 2020, at 8:24 AM, Eric Gade <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> What are the "canonical" instructions for building the ARM64 linux VM (regardless of distro)?

build.linux64ARMv8/HowToBuild

Eliot
_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Eliot Miranda-2

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

On Nov 9, 2020, at 8:24 AM, Eric Gade <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

What are the "canonical" instructions for building the ARM64 linux VM (regardless of distro)?

More completely
build.linux64ARMv8/HowToBuild

There are a handful of convenience shell scripts in build.linux64ARMv8/ and build.linux64ARMv8/{squeak.cog.spur,squeak.stack.spur} that automate things.

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

--
Eric

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Bruce O'Neel-2

Thanks to everyone who responded.  It works perfectly after I installed

sudo apt install libevdev-dev

cheers

bruce

09 November 2020 15:34 "Bruce O'Neel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

What's the current state of the ARM 64 cog VM?  Does it build?  If not, what magic is needed...

Thanks.

bruce
<>

Re: Current state of the Arm 64 cog vm

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 5:03 AM Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded.  It works perfectly after I installed

sudo apt install libevdev-dev

presumably this is now necessary in all linux builds?

cheers

bruce

09 November 2020 15:34 "Bruce O'Neel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

What's the current state of the ARM 64 cog VM?  Does it build?  If not, what magic is needed...

Thanks.

bruce
<>

--