DES Encryption

Malte Zacharias
Hello,

I am currently trying to get DES Encrpytion to work,
I am using Squeak 3.8 and loaded Cryptography from SqueakMap
and everything except DES works, because it needs the DESPlugin
and I have no clue where to get that and how to compile it.

Is anyone here who can help me with that issue or point
me in another direction?

tia,
Malte Zacharias

RE: DES Encryption

Ron Teitelbaum
Hello Malte,

You can find the plugins here:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/2410/

Just place the file in your squeak directory.  Use the Dll for Windows
platforms.

Ron Teitelbaum

RE: DES Encryption

Malte Zacharias
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hello Malte,
>
> You can find the plugins here:
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/2410/
Thank you, unfortunately the .so file there is linked
against a different libc version as mince, is the source
available somewhere so I could recompile?
> Just place the file in your squeak directory.  Use the Dll for Windows
> platforms.

RE: DES Encryption

Ron Teitelbaum
All,

I wasn't able to find the source code for DESPlugin.  I'm still looking into
it.  Does anyone know where the source code is?  I was hoping to see it in
the VMMaker but it is not there.

Thanks!

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: DES Encryption

Rob Withers
A DESPlugin class comes along with the Cryptography package.  From
memory, you load up all the VMMaker stuff along with Cryptography,
then you can generate the plugin.

Robert

On Aug 20, 2006, at 12:27 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> All,
>
> I wasn't able to find the source code for DESPlugin.  I'm still
> looking into
> it.  Does anyone know where the source code is?  I was hoping to
> see it in
> the VMMaker but it is not there.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ron Teitelbaum

Re: DES Encryption

Rob Withers
Malte,

I thought of something else.  Your other alternative is to just get
the old libc version for your platform, so that you can use the
existing .so file.  Maybe this will help you.

Robert

On Aug 20, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Malte Zacharias wrote:

> Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>
>> Hello Malte,
>>
>> You can find the plugins here:
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/2410/
> Thank you, unfortunately the .so file there is linked
> against a different libc version as mince, is the source
> available somewhere so I could recompile?
>> Just place the file in your squeak directory.  Use the Dll for
>> Windows
>> platforms.

Re: DES Encryption

Malte Zacharias
Could you explain that further? Getting another libc installed is
not directly my preferred option...

> A DESPlugin class comes along with the Cryptography package.  From
> memory, you load up all the VMMaker stuff along with Cryptography,
> then you can generate the plugin.
>
> Robert
>
> On Aug 20, 2006, at 12:27 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I wasn't able to find the source code for DESPlugin.  I'm still
>> looking into
>> it.  Does anyone know where the source code is?  I was hoping to
>> see it in
>> the VMMaker but it is not there.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ron Teitelbaum

Re: DES Encryption

Rob Withers
You can have more than 1 libc installed, but only one is linked as libc.so, if I recall correctly.   With an alternate libc named libc.3.5.0.so for example (made up numbers) then DESPlugin.so can resolve its external needs.

I tried generating and building the VM and ran into issues.  What you need to do is take a 3.7 or 3.8 image, load Crypto package and then launch VMMaker and generate this plugin external.  You may need to generate all internal with DESPlugin external to meet the platform needs.   Then you can go to the source and build it.  You will need to read the instructions for building the VM on linux for the details.

I hope this helps,
Robert