DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

Chris Muller-4
To get the ball rolling, here's a list culled from the prior exchange
we had.  Let's see if we can stick to our words today and knock this
out before next meeting!  Expand it, trim it, word-it-up.  :)  Thanks.

- Squeak release 4.5 with the initial alpha implementation of Environments.
- Jenkins-bsaed automated builds and testing of the Squeak image.
- Tim's new alpha-release of Scratch on the Rasberry Pi was mentioned
in Ebon Upton's January 14th blog.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5742.
- Craig presented the "State of Squeak" presentation at FOSDEM in Brussels.
- Eliot is about to release his first alpha of "Spur", the successor
to the vaunted "Cog".  Spur will further improve the raw peformance of
Squeak applications by another significant factor, and paving the way
for 64-bit Squeak VM expected in 2015.

Re: DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

timrowledge

On 05-06-2014, at 12:28 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To get the ball rolling, here's a list culled from the prior exchange
> we had.  Let's see if we can stick to our words today and knock this
> out before next meeting!  Expand it, trim it, word-it-up.  :)  Thanks.
>
> - Squeak release 4.5 with the initial alpha implementation of Environments.
> - Jenkins-bsaed automated builds and testing of the Squeak image.
‘based' not ‘bsaed’. Unless there is a new word out there…

> - Tim's new alpha-release of Scratch on the Rasberry Pi was mentioned
> in Ebon Upton's January 14th blog. http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5742.

Could also mention the talks I gave on the Scratch updating at STIC’13 in Phoenix last june and at the THINK conference in Santa Cruz last November. How about -
"A new and performance improved version of the MIT Scratch system, as originally implemented in Squeak, but aimed at the Raspberry Pi was presented at talks for the ’13 Smalltalk Industry Council conference in Phoenix in July, at the THINK conference in Santa Cruz in November and publicly announced by the Raspberry Pi Foundation in January; see http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5742"

> - Craig presented the "State of Squeak" presentation at FOSDEM in Brussels.
Is there anything online to point to?

> - Eliot is about to release his first alpha of "Spur", the successor
> to the vaunted "Cog".  Spur will further improve the raw peformance of
> Squeak applications by another significant factor, and paving the way
> for 64-bit Squeak VM expected in 2015.
If they’re after ‘up-to-end-Feb’ news it should probably be more like 'Eliot started work on..'

tim
Fractured Idiom:- VENI, VIPI, VICI - I came; I'm a very important person; I conquered

Re: DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 02:28:21PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:

> To get the ball rolling, here's a list culled from the prior exchange
> we had.  Let's see if we can stick to our words today and knock this
> out before next meeting!  Expand it, trim it, word-it-up.  :)  Thanks.
>
> - Squeak release 4.5 with the initial alpha implementation of Environments.
> - Jenkins-bsaed automated builds and testing of the Squeak image.
> - Tim's new alpha-release of Scratch on the Rasberry Pi was mentioned
> in Ebon Upton's January 14th blog.
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5742.
> - Craig presented the "State of Squeak" presentation at FOSDEM in Brussels.
> - Eliot is about to release his first alpha of "Spur", the successor
> to the vaunted "Cog".  Spur will further improve the raw peformance of
> Squeak applications by another significant factor, and paving the way
> for 64-bit Squeak VM expected in 2015.

Chris,

Thanks for getting this started. It's on my to-do list for the coming
weekend.

Dave

re: DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Tim--

> [Chris] - Craig presented the ["Annual Squeak Shoutout"] presentation
> [Chris] at FOSDEM in Brussels.
>
> Is there anything online to point to?

     Yes, the video of that talk is at [1], along with my "A Spoonful of
Raspberry Pi" talk at [2].

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/p2ko4pe (video.fosdem.org)
[2] http://tinyurl.com/ksqetwn (video.fosdem.org)

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org

re: DRAFT: list of accomplishments for SFC for FY-2013

Karl Ramberg
Thanks.
Nice videos.
The second one on Spoon is unfortunately a little hard to listen to because network traffic is interfering with microphone.

Cheers,
Karl

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hoi Tim--

> [Chris] - Craig presented the ["Annual Squeak Shoutout"] presentation
> [Chris] at FOSDEM in Brussels.
>
> Is there anything online to point to?

     Yes, the video of that talk is at [1], along with my "A Spoonful of
Raspberry Pi" talk at [2].

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/p2ko4pe (video.fosdem.org)