Dead exceptions

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

while browsing a bit through our exception framework, I stumbled upon a significant number of exception classes for all of which I neither found any sender in my Trunk image, nor any subclass:

Abort EndOfStream ExceptionAboutToReturn FontSubstitutionDuringLoading NanError UndeclaredVariableReference

So here is my question: Would you agree to deprecate them all? Or could any of them still be relevant for non-in-trunk senders? I can prepare a changeset if you think we should get rid of them.

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Dead exceptions

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Christoph,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 11:30 AM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

while browsing a bit through our exception framework, I stumbled upon a significant number of exception classes for all of which I neither found any sender in my Trunk image, nor any subclass:

Abort EndOfStream ExceptionAboutToReturn FontSubstitutionDuringLoading NanError UndeclaredVariableReference

So here is my question: Would you agree to deprecate them all? Or could any of them still be relevant for non-in-trunk senders? I can prepare a changeset if you think we should get rid of them.

I would like to see us keep at least EndOfStream. ExceptionAboutToReturn and Abort can be deleted, not just deprecated.  They're ancient and obsolete.

Best,

Christoph

best, Eliot

Re: Dead exceptions

Christoph Thiede

Hi all!

1. What is the purpose of EndOfStream if we don't use it even longer in Trunk? Sounds like an alternative iteration concept (cf. Python's StopIteration) which however would be contrary to the existing mechanism using #next and #atEnd.

2. What's about the other exception classes I have listed below? May I deprecate them all? :-)

Best,

Christoph