Debugging Squeak with GDB: "Cannot find new threads: generic error"

Debugging Squeak with GDB: "Cannot find new threads: generic error"

André Wendt-3

Hi all,

I'm trying to debug a Squeak VM I built using GDB. However, I can't even
start up Squeak:

$ gdb ./bld/squeak
GNU gdb 6.7.1-debian
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) run squeak.image
Starting program: /home/andre/mysqueakvm/platforms/unix/bld/squeak
squeak.image
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Cannot find new threads: generic error
Cannot find new threads: generic error
(gdb)

Do I have to compile the VM differently in order to get it to work?

I'd appreciate any hints.

Best,
André

Re: Debugging Squeak with GDB: "Cannot find new threads: generic error"

André Wendt-3

André Wendt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to debug a Squeak VM I built using GDB. However, I can't even
> start up Squeak:
>
> $ gdb ./bld/squeak
> GNU gdb 6.7.1-debian
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
> (gdb) run squeak.image
> Starting program: /home/andre/mysqueakvm/platforms/unix/bld/squeak
> squeak.image
> Error while reading shared library symbols:
> Cannot find new threads: generic error
> Cannot find new threads: generic error
> (gdb)
>
> Do I have to compile the VM differently in order to get it to work?

OK, I found out I *can* debug it if I start the VM normally and then
attach GDB to the running process...

I kinda wish I had tried this earlier ;-)

André