Debugging a headless image

Giovanni Corriga
Hi all,

I have a Pier image that I'd like to run on my corriga.net server. It
works fine if I start it in a VNC session, but if I run it with the
-headless option I can't connect to it. Do you have any hints on the
possible cause or on how to debug it?

        Thanks,

                Giovanni

Re: Debugging a headless image

NorbertHartl

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:16 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Pier image that I'd like to run on my corriga.net server. It
> works fine if I start it in a VNC session, but if I run it with the
> -headless option I can't connect to it. Do you have any hints on the
> possible cause or on how to debug it?

Are you using the RemoteFramebuffer as VNC connection or do you use
a native one. With -headless you have to use the RemoteFramebuffer
from inside squeak because there is no other framebuffer to copy
from.

http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/

hope this helps,

Norbert

Il giorno gio, 08/11/2007 alle 15.25 +0100, Norbert Hartl ha scritto:

> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:16 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Pier image that I'd like to run on my corriga.net server. It
> > works fine if I start it in a VNC session, but if I run it with the
> > -headless option I can't connect to it. Do you have any hints on the
> > possible cause or on how to debug it?
> >
> Are you using the RemoteFramebuffer as VNC connection or do you use
> a native one. With -headless you have to use the RemoteFramebuffer
> from inside squeak because there is no other framebuffer to copy
> from.
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/

No, I used the vncviewer that comes with Debian Sarge. But the problem
isn't related to RFB/VNC, since when I run the image headless I can't
even telnet the WAKom instance that is running.

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:28 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> Il giorno gio, 08/11/2007 alle 15.25 +0100, Norbert Hartl ha scritto:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:16 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have a Pier image that I'd like to run on my corriga.net server. It
> > > works fine if I start it in a VNC session, but if I run it with the
> > > -headless option I can't connect to it. Do you have any hints on the
> > > possible cause or on how to debug it?
> > >
> > Are you using the RemoteFramebuffer as VNC connection or do you use
> > a native one. With -headless you have to use the RemoteFramebuffer
> > from inside squeak because there is no other framebuffer to copy
> > from.
> >
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/
>
> No, I used the vncviewer that comes with Debian Sarge. But the problem
> isn't related to RFB/VNC, since when I run the image headless I can't
> even telnet the WAKom instance that is running.

Is WAKom running? check with

netstat -atn | grep [yourport] | grep LISTEN

If there is a listening socket than everything should be ok. If it is
not running try a little startup script with content

WAKom startUp

Then you can specify the port of the WAKom by issuing

squeak -headless squeak.image [full-path-to-startscript] port 9090

It should then start on port 9090. So

netstat -atn | grep 9090 | grep LISTEN

should give the output you need.

Norbert

Re: Debugging a headless image

Klaus D. Witzel
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:28:43 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:

> Il giorno gio, 08/11/2007 alle 15.25 +0100, Norbert Hartl ha scritto:
>> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:16 +0100, Giovanni Corriga wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have a Pier image that I'd like to run on my corriga.net server. It
>> > works fine if I start it in a VNC session, but if I run it with the
>> > -headless option I can't connect to it. Do you have any hints on the
>> > possible cause or on how to debug it?
>> >
>> Are you using the RemoteFramebuffer as VNC connection or do you use
>> a native one. With -headless you have to use the RemoteFramebuffer
>> from inside squeak because there is no other framebuffer to copy
>> from.
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/
>
> No, I used the vncviewer that comes with Debian Sarge. But the problem
> isn't related to RFB/VNC, since when I run the image headless I can't
> even telnet the WAKom instance that is running.

After transfering a pier/seaside .image to my debian server, I invoke it
with

... -memory 20m -vm-display-null name.of.image

Perhaps this helps.

/Klaus

> Giovanni

RE: Debugging a headless image

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Giovanni,

        I run several images with -headless without that problem. If you
want to perform internal diagnostic I think you can use:

        1. rST open in some port and connect from another headfull image
        2. do the same but with RemoteObjects
        3. Use the REPLServer from squeak map to telnet to the headless
image

Possible causes I don't know but I think I would make sure to try reloading
all (and not loading what is not needed) in a fresh image to guarantee the
"house is clean".

        cheers,

Sebastian

Il giorno gio, 08/11/2007 alle 13.53 -0200, Sebastian Sastre ha scritto:

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> I run several images with -headless without that problem. If you
> want to perform internal diagnostic I think you can use:
>
> 1. rST open in some port and connect from another headfull image
> 2. do the same but with RemoteObjects
> 3. Use the REPLServer from squeak map to telnet to the headless
> image
>
> Possible causes I don't know but I think I would make sure to try reloading
> all (and not loading what is not needed) in a fresh image to guarantee the
> "house is clean".

Hi all,

of course five seconds after sending the message I solved the problem. I didn't
have the write permission for the directory I was in, so the image couldn't open the
.changes file.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni