Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Mike Lee-12
Hi,

I have Etoys-to-Go 5.0 installed and initialized on a USB drive. There is also an Etoys folder present. What I would like to do is have a project from the Etoys folder open immediately when Etoys-to-Go is launched from this USB drive (bypassing the clouds, car and script, but leaving that Home screen accessible with the back arrow).

It looks like this can be made to happen by editing the world script1, but I don't have a clue how to edit that code.

Mike

Re: Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-08-07, at 07:13, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Etoys-to-Go 5.0 installed and initialized on a USB drive. There is also an Etoys folder present. What I would like to do is have a project from the Etoys folder open immediately when Etoys-to-Go is launched from this USB drive (bypassing the clouds, car and script, but leaving that Home screen accessible with the back arrow).
>
> It looks like this can be made to happen by editing the world script1, but I don't have a clue how to edit that code.

This should do it:

        self setTextVersion.
        (Project named: 'MyProject') ifNil: [
                [Project fromUrl: 'MyProject.pr'] ifError: [].
        ].

(Explanation: The "ifNil:" test is needed to prevent opening MyProject again every time you navigate to the home project. The "ifError:" lets the opening proceed normally if MyProject.pr is not found)

To make the change permanent, you will need to save the Etoys image:
* start "clean" (no additional projects loaded yet)
* make the "script1" change
* press Cmd-Shift-W to open the full world menu, select "jump to project..." and go to the hidden "Unnamed1" top-level project
* press Cmd-Shift-W again and select "save and quit"

Note that this will load the home screen first, then your project. If you want to bypass the home screen completely, do this instead of the above:
* start "clean" (no additional projects loaded yet)
* press Cmd-Shift-W to open the full world menu, select "jump to project..." and go to the hidden "Unnamed1" top-level project
* insert a line near the bottom of the SugarLauncher>>startUp method, it should look like:
        [Project fromUrl: 'MyProject.pr'] ifError: [].
        self welcome: ''
* press Cmd-Shift-W again and select "save and quit"

- Bert -

Re: Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Mike Lee-12
Thanks!

So I'm clear, do I replace *all* of what is in world's script1, prepend or append?

I'm fine with the suggested change going to the Etoys home screen first, then the desired project, but it's good to know how to do it the other way.

The key commands are obviously for Mac. Aside from different key command, will this procedure be the same when working on Windows or Linux?

I'm planning to drag other projects in the Etoys folder on the custom USB drive into the new default project to generate thumbnails making that screen function as a simple launcher for a collection of projects.

The real world user scenario will be my youths in Zambia doing this change on a copy of the Etoys-to-Go image on a USB drive to prepare some projects for staff at partners like the Ministry of Education to view on their locked-down machines. Etoys-to-Go is shaping up to be a great solution for this situation.

Mike

On 2013-08-07, at 07:13, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Etoys-to-Go 5.0 installed and initialized on a USB drive. There is also an Etoys folder present. What I would like to do is have a project from the Etoys folder open immediately when Etoys-to-Go is launched from this USB drive (bypassing the clouds, car and script, but leaving that Home screen accessible with the back arrow).
>
> It looks like this can be made to happen by editing the world script1, but I don't have a clue how to edit that code.

This should do it:

        self setTextVersion.
        (Project named: 'MyProject') ifNil: [
                [Project fromUrl: 'MyProject.pr'] ifError: [].
        ].

(Explanation: The "ifNil:" test is needed to prevent opening MyProject again every time you navigate to the home project. The "ifError:" lets the opening proceed normally if MyProject.pr is not found)

To make the change permanent, you will need to save the Etoys image:
* start "clean" (no additional projects loaded yet)
* make the "script1" change
* press Cmd-Shift-W to open the full world menu, select "jump to project..." and go to the hidden "Unnamed1" top-level project
* press Cmd-Shift-W again and select "save and quit"

Note that this will load the home screen first, then your project. If you want to bypass the home screen completely, do this instead of the above:
* start "clean" (no additional projects loaded yet)
* press Cmd-Shift-W to open the full world menu, select "jump to project..." and go to the hidden "Unnamed1" top-level project
* insert a line near the bottom of the SugarLauncher>>startUp method, it should look like:
        [Project fromUrl: 'MyProject.pr'] ifError: [].
        self welcome: ''
* press Cmd-Shift-W again and select "save and quit"

- Bert -

Re: Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Steve Thomas
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Mike Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm planning to drag other projects in the Etoys folder on the custom USB drive into the new default project to generate thumbnails making that screen function as a simple launcher for a collection of projects.

The real world user scenario will be my youths in Zambia doing this change on a copy of the Etoys-to-Go image on a USB drive to prepare some projects for staff at partners like the Ministry of Education to view on their locked-down machines. Etoys-to-Go is shaping up to be a great solution for this situation.

So a simpler solution might be to simply place the starting project in the same folder as the etoys application then ask "staff" to simply drag and drop the project onto the Etoys App icon. Or perhaps I am missing your point/goal.

Also another option would be to "add your own quick guides, which could perhaps open projects"  If that would be of use let me know and I will look up how to do it.  There are some gotcha's but with proper instructions it should be easy to do.

Lastly, what format are you using for the USB stick?  Need to be sure it will work on Windows/Linux/Mac.  Part of the reason I ask is that I am having a heck of a time trying to prepare 40 USB sitcks for some kids at an orphanage in Colombia.  May be because I bought cheap USBs.  I have one USB that works fine in all and it is FAT32, but for whatever reason when I try to format FAT32 then use on the Ubuntu laptops I put together, I can't change permissions in Linux to allow etoys.sh to run.

Stephen

Stephen

Re: Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Mike Lee-12
Steve,

The simpler drag and drop should work except that the Windows exe us nested inside the Macintosh app bundle. It seemed easier, and it's what the team knows, to keep the projects inside the one Etoys projects folder.

I also ran into the same permissions problem trying out Etoys to Go in Ubuntu on VirtualBox on a Mac. I haven't turned my attention back to that and would also love to know of a workaround or fix.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 7, 2013, at 12:45 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That shouldn't depend on how cheap your USB stick is, but only on the configuration of the Linux machine you plug it in.

FAT32 is indeed the right format to use if you want the stick to be compatible across all platforms.  However, with FAT32 you cannot change permissions for individual files. All files get the same permission.

You should be able to change the default permissions to include the executable bit though, but this may not be trivial.

Another "trick" to try might be renaming etoys.sh to etoys.bat, then eject and insert the stick again. Apparently, files with a .bat/.com/.exe extension are made executable: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udisks/+bug/663815

These and more ideas are posted here:

- Bert -

Re: Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Steve Thomas
So some more details:
I have two USB sticks both formated to FAT32 (which yes is the preferred format) one works fine the other doesn't.

I looked at them using gparted in Ubuntu and see USB that works has the flags: boot and lba set, where as the one that does not has no flags set.

I simply added the flags: boot, lba using gparted and now my simple test with creating a shell script works (ie -rwxr-xr-x 1 steve steve 10 Aug  7 15:33 test.sh).

WooHoo!!!!  Now I just need to prep and test 36 USB sticks by 10pm tonight then deliver them to folks heading to airport by 11pm.

Cheers,
Stephen

Steve,

--

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)

Re: Default project on launch of Etoys-to-Go

Steve Thomas
Okay, may not be that simple. It did work on one Ubuntu machine but not another.  Tried the instructions in one of Bert's links: by creating http://askubuntu.com/questions/61448/how-to-configure-to-record-data-to-pendrive-instantly by creating the file below, but now dismount from file folder does not work :(

Will play more later and see what I find.
KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

# Import FS infos
IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# Get a label if present, otherwise specify one
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usbhd-%k"

# Global mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{mount_options}="relatime,sync"
# Filesystem-specific mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs", ENV{mount_options}="$env{mount_options},utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=002"

# Mount the device
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mkdir -p /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/mount -o $env{mount_options} /dev/%k /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Clean up after removal
ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/bin/umount -l /media/%E{dir_name}", RUN+="/bin/rmdir /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Exit
LABEL="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

K K Subbu
On Thursday 08 August 2013 04:25 AM, Steve Thomas wrote:

> # Global mount options
> ACTION=="add", ENV{mount_options}="relatime,sync"
> # Filesystem-specific mount options
> ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs", ENV{mount_options}="$env{mount_options},utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=002"|

You need the 'exec' option to allow Ubuntu to run programs off a mounted
volume. E.g, 'uid=1000,gid=1000,exec'. This is not very safe so please
use it with caution. See the man page for 'mount' command for more details.

There is also a simple way to launch programs off a flash drive. Add the
following file (with exec permissions) to the Desktop (modify the
/media/... path suitably) for launching etoys off the flash drive :

--------
#!/bin/sh
sh /media/*/*/Etoys/etoys.sh
--------

Please don't turn on the "boot" flag on flash drives. These drives often
pick up boot viruses from other computers. If the machine is booted with
an infected flash drive plugged in, boot viruses can take over this host
too.

Regards .. Subbu