DejaVu fonts with Freetype for 3.9

Gilrandir
I've somehow managed to get the Sophie Freetype fonts working (with the
unicode DejaVu free fonts available at
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download ) in a
Squeak 3.9 image /squeak-web-72, on Win32 VM/, but there are still some
caveats.

The FreetypeFont is usable in the whole system, pretty rendered, but it
misses another emhasis' (can't be bold or italic), the line(glyph?)
height is much bigger than appropriate for the size given and it can't
handle national characters (which are present in the original TTF, part
of Latin-2 aka iso-8859-2 codepage).

With the same TTF source file and same font size, a HostFont loads a
proper emhasis for italic and bold and whats most important: handles all
national characters properly (but it's far not as nice and the italic
style is virtually unreadable).

In this stage, i have no repeatable process to make this work, so you
can try to rip the appropriate packages from Sophie and load them
(Multilingual-Display, Sophie-FontManager, Freetype-Base and
Freetype-Fonts at least -> there may be some cross-references and
Undeclared, you can quietly ignore anything Rome-related).

I think a can handle the line heights and emphasis issues in a few
days/weeks, but i would welcome any guidelines, in particular how to
make the complete unicode working.

Viktor

Re: DejaVu fonts with Freetype for 3.9

Andrew Tween
Hi,
I did some work, in the past, on porting the Sophie Freetype font support to
3.9.
I also extended it to support Sub-pixel anti-aliasing, a.k.a ClearType /
CoolType.

My previous downloads are still available, please see my previous post for
details...
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-August/106984.html

I hope that you find it helpful.

Cheers,
Andy

> I've somehow managed to get the Sophie Freetype fonts working (with the
> unicode DejaVu free fonts available at
> http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download ) in a
> Squeak 3.9 image /squeak-web-72, on Win32 VM/, but there are still some
> caveats.
>
> The FreetypeFont is usable in the whole system, pretty rendered, but it
> misses another emhasis' (can't be bold or italic), the line(glyph?)
> height is much bigger than appropriate for the size given and it can't
> handle national characters (which are present in the original TTF, part
> of Latin-2 aka iso-8859-2 codepage).
>
> With the same TTF source file and same font size, a HostFont loads a
> proper emhasis for italic and bold and whats most important: handles all
> national characters properly (but it's far not as nice and the italic
> style is virtually unreadable).
>
> In this stage, i have no repeatable process to make this work, so you
> can try to rip the appropriate packages from Sophie and load them
> (Multilingual-Display, Sophie-FontManager, Freetype-Base and
> Freetype-Fonts at least -> there may be some cross-references and
> Undeclared, you can quietly ignore anything Rome-related).
>
> I think a can handle the line heights and emphasis issues in a few
> days/weeks, but i would welcome any guidelines, in particular how to
> make the complete unicode working.
>
> Viktor

Re: DejaVu fonts with Freetype for 3.9

Gilrandir
It would be sure very helpful to have your work available, but the
download doesn't seem to work for me (unable to resolve the server name;
sorry if i'm doing something wrong).
Did you publish a VM patch (via VMMaker or a C diff against some svn
revision)..? I need to use a bit tweaked VM to get the mouse
scrollweheel working correctly (an one-liner, but still needs to rebuild
the whole VM).
Much thanks for every support :)
Viktor

Andrew Tween napsal(a):

> Hi,
> I did some work, in the past, on porting the Sophie Freetype font support to
> 3.9.
> I also extended it to support Sub-pixel anti-aliasing, a.k.a ClearType /
> CoolType.
>
> My previous downloads are still available, please see my previous post for
> details...
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-August/106984.html
>
> I hope that you find it helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Re: DejaVu fonts with Freetype for 3.9 + (How to get write access to ftp.squeak.org)

Gilrandir
Thank you very much, i managed to download these files from my workplace (i still don't know the reason the server was inaccessible, maybe my isp).
It all works as it should, i can even use your precompiled VM, cause it seems to be a little modified and works ok with Genius mice (unlike any stock Squeak/Croquet win32 VM). If you can give me any guidelines to how to get the Unicode working, i could try to fix it myself (i have a complete set of the latest DejaVu fonts loaded and they behave as if there was only the basic character set - if i load them as TrueType, they look ugly, but the character set is complete).
Thank you for this great work once again :)

Viktor