Delete translations

Antonio Moreno
Hello,

I am learning the use of NaturalLanguageTranslator,
I'm testing with an etoys-dev-2.2 image (OLPC),

It is very easy to add languages, merge, etc, but I do not find how to delete one of them.

Another question:
Which is Babel function?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Delete translations

Bert Freudenberg
On Oct 11, 2007, at 9:59 , antonio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am learning the use of NaturalLanguageTranslator,
> I'm testing with an etoys-dev-2.2 image (OLPC),

Actually, we do not use NLT anymore for OLPC. We exported all
translations to po files:

https://translations.launchpad.net/etoys/first-deployment/+pots/etoys

This lets use use the "gettext" translation tools that are the
standard in Linux.

> It is very easy to add languages, merge, etc, but I do not find how
> to delete one of them.
>
> Another question:
> Which is Babel function?

Not sure what the question is.

- Bert -

Re: Delete translations

Antonio Moreno
Thanks, Bert.
> I am learning the use of NaturalLanguageTranslator,
> I'm testing with an etoys-dev-2.2 image (OLPC),

Actually, we do not use NLT anymore for OLPC. We exported all
translations to po files:

https://translations.launchpad.net/etoys/first-deployment/+pots/etoys

This lets use use the "gettext" translation tools that are the
standard in Linux.
yes, I know, but I load:
desktop menu... / open / language editor
and now I can do both, isn't it?:
- I can load po files with gettext button (up on the right)
- I can load *.translation files with "load" and with "merge" buttons
Besides:
- I can add word/translated word pairs with "add" button and after this I can do "gettext export"
(that's because sometimes I introduce  'tatatatatat' translated at any method and the expression does not appear inside the right column, so I put on the other side manually).

This mixed use can create problems to me?

translations will be OUT of the image file?
etoys-dev-2.2.image has translations inside or they are only at squeak/po/subdirectories?
I can load german language by menu but I have not any  *.de at my squeak/po/subdirectories, so I'm confusing.

that's the question because I wanted to clean translations information from NLT, it's easy to load after anyway.
    > It is very easy to add languages, merge, etc, but I do not find how
   > to delete one of them.

About Babel (Preferences... menu),  which is the diference between translationWithBabel activated or not?

Thanks again

Re: Delete translations

Takashi Yamamiya
Hi Antonio,

> It is very easy to add languages, merge, etc, but I do not find how to
> delete one of them.

If your question is about a word, there is a button named "remove". If
the question is about a language, there is no UI but you can do it:

NaturalLanguageTranslator removeLocaleID: (LocaleID isoString: 'tlh')

> This mixed use can create problems to me?
>
> translations will be OUT of the image file?
> etoys-dev-2.2.image has translations inside or they are only at
> squeak/po/subdirectories?
> I can load german language by menu but I have not any  *.de at my
> squeak/po/subdirectories, so I'm confusing.

Now we use NaturalLanguageTranslator only for internal use. It will be
replaced more gettext compatible way. Meanwhile, you can use the
language editor, but I recommend to get used to gettext tools. Now
translation data is in the image as a cache. So you don't need external
po file. But this behavior might be changed.

> About Babel (Preferences... menu),  which is the diference between
> /translationWithBabel/ activated or not?

Babel is old name of NaturalLanguageTranslator. This preference is no
more used. Thanks for informing about it.

Cheers,
- Takashi

Re: Delete translations

Antonio Moreno
It's clearer for me now,  thanks a lot

Re: Delete translations

stephane ducasse
Bert

How do you store the translations?
Because it would be cool to get them per packages as ressources package.
I know that OLPC does not have mc but it would be good for Squeak.

I would like to see a merge or flow from OLPC new features to Squeak.
What would be the process to make sure that nothing is lost for squeak?

Stef

> Actually, we do not use NLT anymore for OLPC. We exported all
> translations to po files:
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/etoys/first-deployment/+pots/etoys
>
> This lets use use the "gettext" translation tools that are the
> standard in Linux.
>
>> It is very easy to add languages, merge, etc, but I do not find
>> how to delete one of them.
>>
>> Another question:
>> Which is Babel function?
>
> Not sure what the question is.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Delete translations

Bert Freudenberg
Per-package translation files can provide translations for a specific
class category. This overrides the default translation file provided
with the system. We are testing this with DrGeoII in fact, we made a
DrGeoII.mo file and place that next to the etoys.mo file containing
the system translations, and translations from the new file will get
picked up for all classes in the DrGeoII-* categories.

This work is not finished and integrated yet, but supporting
independent translations for add-on packages has been a design
requirement from the beginning, since we do want to support those
additions as well as possible.

To get features like this into the squeak.org version, someone would
have to take on the task of "harvesting" interesting things from the
OLPC etoys update stream.

- Bert -

On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:35 , stephane ducasse wrote:

> Bert
>
> How do you store the translations?
> Because it would be cool to get them per packages as ressources
> package.
> I know that OLPC does not have mc but it would be good for Squeak.
>
> I would like to see a merge or flow from OLPC new features to Squeak.
> What would be the process to make sure that nothing is lost for
> squeak?
>
> Stef
>>
>> Actually, we do not use NLT anymore for OLPC. We exported all
>> translations to po files:
>>
>> https://translations.launchpad.net/etoys/first-deployment/+pots/etoys
>>
>> This lets use use the "gettext" translation tools that are the
>> standard in Linux.
>>
>>> It is very easy to add languages, merge, etc, but I do not find
>>> how to delete one of them.
>>>
>>> Another question:
>>> Which is Babel function?
>>
>> Not sure what the question is.
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Re: Delete translations

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 10/23/07 11:00 AM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> To get features like this into the squeak.org version, someone would
> have to take on the task of "harvesting" interesting things from the
> OLPC etoys update stream.
>
> - Bert -

I always wish do !
Any leads is appreciated and mail private if you need.

Edgar

Re: Delete translations

stephane ducasse

On 23 oct. 07, at 16:00, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Per-package translation files can provide translations for a
> specific class category. This overrides the default translation
> file provided with the system. We are testing this with DrGeoII in
> fact, we made a DrGeoII.mo file and place that next to the etoys.mo
> file containing the system translations, and translations from the
> new file will get picked up for all classes in the DrGeoII-*
> categories.

Ok I would have to really have a look to understand.
With hilaire we always wanted to have translations attached to packages.

> This work is not finished and integrated yet, but supporting
> independent translations for add-on packages has been a design
> requirement from the beginning, since we do want to support those
> additions as well as possible.
>
> To get features like this into the squeak.org version, someone
> would have to take on the task of "harvesting" interesting things
> from the OLPC etoys update stream.

yes I would like to do this task if I participate to the 3.11
Now I was wondering how I could keep tracks of this (besides reading
the changesets)

> - Bert -
>
> On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:35 , stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Bert
>>
>> How do you store the translations?
>> Because it would be cool to get them per packages as ressources
>> package.
>> I know that OLPC does not have mc but it would be good for Squeak.
>>
>> I would like to see a merge or flow from OLPC new features to Squeak.
>> What would be the process to make sure that nothing is lost for
>> squeak?
>>
>> Stef
>>>
>>> Actually, we do not use NLT anymore for OLPC. We exported all
>>> translations to po files:
>>>
>>> https://translations.launchpad.net/etoys/first-deployment/+pots/
>>> etoys
>>>
>>> This lets use use the "gettext" translation tools that are the
>>> standard in Linux.

>>> Not sure what the question is.
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: Delete translations