Deprecating code

timrowledge
As part of my quest to improve the file related dialogs I had to deprecate quite a few methods. Currently I’ve moved all of them (I think!) to a package ‘60Deprecated’, which may or may not be the right one. If it isn’t which is?

It would be nice if someone with a firm grip on the subject could spend a few minutes updating the swiki page - http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3940
- to give people like me a better view of what to do.

Further, whilst looking for all the places where I might have deprecated stuff I noticed quite a few methods marked with
self flag: #deprecated instead of self deprecated: ‘explanation of why and what to use instead’. And a some simply marked with self deprecated, with no sort of hint about why. It *looks* like pretty much all of them are marked ‘mt' or ‘topa', so if you folks could spend five minutes to update them a little it would help with deciding what to do for the next release.

tim
Semolina - a  system of signalling with pudding.

Re: Deprecating code

marcel.taeumel
Hi, Tim.

Yes, new deprecations go into '60Deprecated'.

Only use #deprecated or #deprecated: and move it into '60Deprecated' AFTER you removed all senders in the image to it. That is not yet the case for #setBalloonText: and #setBalloonText:maxLineLength:. That's why they are simple #flag: sends for now.

Best,
Marcel