Dev toolbar in IE

12

Dev toolbar in IE

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Is it just me or the toolbar doesn't stick to the bottom of the screen
anymore in IE?

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

ietoolbar.jpg (20K) Download Attachment

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Ramon Leon-5

> Is it just me or the toolbar doesn't stick to the bottom of
> the screen anymore in IE?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Boris

Did it ever? I don't recall it ever being on the bottom in IE.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Philippe Marschall
It never did. But then, which web dev uses IE anyway?

Philippe

2006/10/6, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:

> Is it just me or the toolbar doesn't stick to the bottom of the screen
> anymore in IE?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Ron Teitelbaum
I don't get this!  Since IE is still > 50% of the market how can you ignore
it?

> From: Philippe Marschall
>
> It never did. But then, which web dev uses IE anyway?
>
> Philippe
>
> 2006/10/6, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:
> > Is it just me or the toolbar doesn't stick to the bottom of the screen
> > anymore in IE?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > -Boris
> >
> > --
> > +1.604.689.0322
> > DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> > 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> > Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> >
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >
> > This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> > header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> > private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> > notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> > attachments.
> >
> > Thank you.

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Philippe Marschall
Yeah, for users sure. But for web developers? Seriously?

2006/10/6, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

> I don't get this!  Since IE is still > 50% of the market how can you ignore
> it?
>
> > From: Philippe Marschall
> >
> > It never did. But then, which web dev uses IE anyway?
> >
> > Philippe
> >
> > 2006/10/6, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:
> > > Is it just me or the toolbar doesn't stick to the bottom of the screen
> > > anymore in IE?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > -Boris
> > >
> > > --
> > > +1.604.689.0322
> > > DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> > > 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> > > Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> > >
> > > [hidden email]
> > >
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> > >
> > > This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> > > header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> > > private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> > > notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> > > attachments.
> > >
> > > Thank you.

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
This is in development only though, and I tend to side with Philippe, no
serious web developer is using IE for anything other than testing, where
the toolbar is disabled anyhow :)

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

I don't get this!  Since IE is still > 50% of the market how can you
ignore
it?

> From: Philippe Marschall
>
> It never did. But then, which web dev uses IE anyway?
>
> Philippe
>
> 2006/10/6, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>:
> > Is it just me or the toolbar doesn't stick to the bottom of the
screen

> > anymore in IE?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > -Boris
> >
> > --
> > +1.604.689.0322
> > DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> > 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> > Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> >
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >
> > This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> > header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> > private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> > notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> > attachments.
> >
> > Thank you.

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Boris!

I see the browser as the end product for testing.  I'm not even to the point
yet of testing code on other browsers, but I do stay away from any code that
says it may be an issue and especially anything that may be in issue for IE.
(I was planning on using AJAX until I saw that IE 6.0 may not support it if
active x is turned off [which happens frequently]) So my question:  Why
would it matter which browser is used for development?

Ron

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Ron Teitelbaum
Besides my over use of the ! which may have added emphasis that I didn't
really intend, I'd be interested.  What benefits are there to developers?

Seriously.

Ron

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Here are few reasons why I personally find Firefox as a best tool for
development (that's not to say some of these tools don't exist for IE
though),

- TABS! :)
- Less quirks in treating Web Standards compliant XHTML (Strict) and CSS
- DOM inspector
- JavaScript console
- JavaScript debugger
   - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/
- Web Developer toolbar
   - http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

Our designer tests the visual aspects against the variety of browsers
before delivering the markup and CSS, I test everything else on various
versions of IE, Firefox and Opera, but I never use IE in the normal
course of development.

To sum it up, just because there's no reliable way to get the toolbar to
stick to the bottom of the screen in IE, don't discount Seaside as
'incapable', this one is really IE's fault.

Hope this helps,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

I see the browser as the end product for testing.  I'm not even to the
point
yet of testing code on other browsers, but I do stay away from any code
that
says it may be an issue and especially anything that may be in issue for
IE.
(I was planning on using AJAX until I saw that IE 6.0 may not support it
if
active x is turned off [which happens frequently]) So my question:  Why
would it matter which browser is used for development?

Ron

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Rick Flower
Boris Popov wrote:

> Here are few reasons why I personally find Firefox as a best tool for
> development (that's not to say some of these tools don't exist for IE
> though),
>
> - TABS! :)
> - Less quirks in treating Web Standards compliant XHTML (Strict) and CSS
> - DOM inspector
> - JavaScript console
> - JavaScript debugger
>    - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/
> - Web Developer toolbar
>    - http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

Boris did a pretty good job of summing it up.. Ideally, if you find that
you write code that works for IE, in my limited experience, you may find
that your code does NOT work for the standards-compliant browsers unless
you're very diligent.. I develop mostly against Safari (on Mac's) and
test w/ Firefox and lastly pester IE when needed.  I'll have to keep an
eye out for who uses what, but with what I've seen so far with my
existing PHP based application (soon to be replaced hopefully), it's
primarily being used by Safari, IE6, and Firefox users.. I'm glad I
don't see many IE5 users as that browser is REALLY old and has even more
problems than IE6 does.

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Ron Teitelbaum
Ok I'll give it a try and see.  Thanks for the answer.

The - Less quirks seems odd.  Are you saying that because other browsers are
strict they are more likely to work in IE, or that IE has quirks that do not
show up on Firefox?

Ron

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Firefox is more compliant with Web Standards than IE6 in Strict mode. As
I understand, IE7 goes a long way towards treating them better, but as
it stands if you want to develop with Web Standards in mind, your best
bet is Firefox. Once you get things working there, you then apply IE6
fixes for anything that breaks (hence ie6win.css via @import
url("ie6win.css"); in our application).

Same goes for JavaScript. I find it easier to develop/debug JavaScript
in Firefox where tools for that are superior, then test in IE and go
back and fix issues in Firefox until everything works as expected. Opera
is much more in line with Firefox, so usually things just work there.

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Ok I'll give it a try and see.  Thanks for the answer.

The - Less quirks seems odd.  Are you saying that because other browsers
are
strict they are more likely to work in IE, or that IE has quirks that do
not
show up on Firefox?

Ron

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Bryce Kampjes
Rick Flower writes:
 > Boris did a pretty good job of summing it up.. Ideally, if you find that
 > you write code that works for IE, in my limited experience, you may find
 > that your code does NOT work for the standards-compliant browsers unless
 > you're very diligent.. I develop mostly against Safari (on Mac's) and
 > test w/ Firefox and lastly pester IE when needed.  I'll have to keep an
 > eye out for who uses what, but with what I've seen so far with my
 > existing PHP based application (soon to be replaced hopefully), it's
 > primarily being used by Safari, IE6, and Firefox users.. I'm glad I
 > don't see many IE5 users as that browser is REALLY old and has even more
 > problems than IE6 does.

Any chance you could write something up about migrating from PHP to
Seaside and why? Sounds like a potentually great story for marketing.

Bryce

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Rick Flower
[hidden email] wrote:

> Any chance you could write something up about migrating from PHP to
> Seaside and why? Sounds like a potentually great story for marketing.

I think I've mentioned it here from time to time before, but when I get
a chance, I'll have to do that.. After all, it was a blog posting that I
was reading (from a Ruby-on-Rails (RoR) user) that mentioned Seaside and
its benefits and got me interested and then hooked.. (8->

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Brad Fuller
Boris Popov wrote:
> Firefox is more compliant with Web Standards than IE6 in Strict mode. As
> I understand, IE7 goes a long way towards treating them better, but as
> it stands if you want to develop with Web Standards in mind, your best
> bet is Firefox. Once you get things working there, you then apply IE6
> fixes for anything that breaks (hence ie6win.css via @import
> url("ie6win.css"); in our application).

Really? I've been hearing that Opera v9 is better than firefox for
standards compliance.

> Same goes for JavaScript. I find it easier to develop/debug JavaScript
> in Firefox where tools for that are superior, then test in IE and go
> back and fix issues in Firefox until everything works as expected. Opera
> is much more in line with Firefox, so usually things just work there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Boris

\

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I don't know, that was just my impression, maybe it is.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> Firefox is more compliant with Web Standards than IE6 in Strict mode.
As
> I understand, IE7 goes a long way towards treating them better, but as
> it stands if you want to develop with Web Standards in mind, your best
> bet is Firefox. Once you get things working there, you then apply IE6
> fixes for anything that breaks (hence ie6win.css via @import
> url("ie6win.css"); in our application).

Really? I've been hearing that Opera v9 is better than firefox for
standards compliance.

> Same goes for JavaScript. I find it easier to develop/debug JavaScript
> in Firefox where tools for that are superior, then test in IE and go
> back and fix issues in Firefox until everything works as expected.
Opera
> is much more in line with Firefox, so usually things just work there.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Boris

\

RE: Dev toolbar in IE

Ron Teitelbaum
I saw this recently http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
it looks like IE5 is at 4%

Ron

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno ven, 06/10/2006 alle 14.02 -0700, Rick Flower ha scritto:
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Any chance you could write something up about migrating from PHP to
> > Seaside and why? Sounds like a potentually great story for marketing.
>
> I think I've mentioned it here from time to time before, but when I get
> a chance, I'll have to do that.. After all, it was a blog posting that I
> was reading (from a Ruby-on-Rails (RoR) user) that mentioned Seaside and
> its benefits and got me interested and then hooked.. (8->

I'd be interested in publishing such an article on The Weekly Squeak
blog, and submit it to various news sites (such as Digg or reddit).

        Giovanni

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

cbeler
yes and testing is boring !!! because CSS dosn't respond the same in ie ...

do you know if there are advices, workaround, things to do so as to have
a compatible design in ie and in all the other browser that respect W3C
norms. The position relative of div is not working well for instance in
ie. It seems it positions it outside of the containing div.

so if someone has a pointer that explain how to keep css design
compatible with all browser, I'll apreciate
> This is in development only though, and I tend to side with Philippe, no
> serious web developer is using IE for anything other than testing, where
> the toolbar is disabled anyhow :)
>
> -Boris

Thanks

Cédrick

Re: Dev toolbar in IE

Jason Johnson-3
There are whole websites dedicated to this topic.  I took the easy way
out:  I make CSS's that only work on IE, and CSS's that only work for
Mozzilla, and CSS's for everyone else and sniff the client to decide
what they get.  And before you decide I am doing tons of work;
everything but the mozilla is pretty basic and has an "upgrade to
mozzilla" link on it. :)

Cédrick Béler wrote:

> yes and testing is boring !!! because CSS dosn't respond the same in
> ie ...
>
> do you know if there are advices, workaround, things to do so as to
> have a compatible design in ie and in all the other browser that
> respect W3C norms. The position relative of div is not working well
> for instance in ie. It seems it positions it outside of the containing
> div.
>
> so if someone has a pointer that explain how to keep css design
> compatible with all browser, I'll apreciate
>> This is in development only though, and I tend to side with Philippe, no
>> serious web developer is using IE for anything other than testing, where
>> the toolbar is disabled anyhow :)
>>
>> -Boris
>>

> Thanks
>
> Cédrick