Develop plug-in for Croquet

david li-5
Hi,

   I am new to Croquet and have browse much of the mailing list and
web site. I have also downloaded the demo and play with it. I am
interested in integrating some web cam based input similar to Sony's
eye toy with Croquet but I can't find a starting pointer to integrate
native library. Appreciate if you could give me some pointers or
document to start. Also, where could I find full source of Croquet to
build from scratch?

   Thanks.

David

Re: Develop plug-in for Croquet

Frank Urbach
Hallo David,

for the integration of an native C library see examples like OpenAL
or OpenGL. This stands in the context of FFI. Here the link to the entry
of the squeak-wiki http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1414.
The source of croquet you 've gotten with the download of croquet.
Goto the window of programming tools you see
on the first screen. In the system-browser you can walk through the
whole system.
Not much, hope this helps for starting.

Cheers,
   Frank

>    I am new to Croquet and have browse much of the mailing list and
> web site. I have also downloaded the demo and play with it. I am
> interested in integrating some web cam based input similar to Sony's
> eye toy with Croquet but I can't find a starting pointer to integrate
> native library. Appreciate if you could give me some pointers or
> document to start. Also, where could I find full source of Croquet to
> build from scratch?
>
>    Thanks.
>
> David

Re: Develop plug-in for Croquet

Andreas.Raab
Hi David -

 > Also, where could I find full source of Croquet to build from scratch?

Almost all of the source code for Croquet is in the download already. It
comes in the form of the files CroquetV1.sources and
Hedgehog1.0.10.changes. However, these are fairly unstructured code
representations (as they're basically only used for displaying code in
browsers). A more structured representation can be found in the
appropriate repositories:

   http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Homebase.html
   http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/hegehogRC.html
   http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/Contributions.html

In addition to the above, there is some platform specific support code
that's needed by the virtual machine and written in C which is available
at http://squeakvm.org (browse the SVN repository to get access to it).

For building Croquet "from scratch" (where I'll take a certain
definition of "from scratch" that'll work for our purposes ;-) you
should start out with the homebase image in the deployment directory.
It's sole purpose is to give us a point of departure for building custom
images that should contain more or less of the stuff we deliver in the
"regular" croquet version. In order to build an image from that base you
effectively need to visit all of the above repositories and load the
"install" Monticello configuration from each of those. Beware though,
this is a rarely tested feature so YMMV.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

David Li wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I am new to Croquet and have browse much of the mailing list and web
> site. I have also downloaded the demo and play with it. I am interested
> in integrating some web cam based input similar to Sony's eye toy with
> Croquet but I can't find a starting pointer to integrate native library.
> Appreciate if you could give me some pointers or document to start.
> Also, where could I find full source of Croquet to build from scratch?
>
>   Thanks.
>
> David

Re: Develop plug-in for Croquet

david li-5
Hi David,

On the subject of physical interaction, here is an interesting system
called QiuQiu, a web based dragon game out of the research team in
Helsinki University of Technology and University of Tampere. I think
it may be interesting to test out web cam based interaction with
Croquet walk, especially for little children.

Some information on QiuQiu:

http://www.cs.uta.fi/kukakumma/htmls_en/sanomat/frset.html

Croquet looks like a great system but it seems still carry some of
the PARC's legacy. It's well known that the team in PARC worked with
younger kids to construct the early Smalltalk and also in the era
that computer literate meaning to be able to program. However, as I
can see now, evolutionary computing, machine learning and other are
making progress and I think the system is more to let kids to get
used to the environments and be comfortable with these paradigms.

Oh, I am speaking from the point of view that my targeted audiences
of the applications are pre-schoolers ranged from 2 to 5.

David