Developer theme/image?

Dirk Vleugels
Hello,

im using squeak3.8-6665full (standard download) on a G4 powerbook to
play around with seaside. Everything works (as expected), but i don't
like the interface for development:

Two questions:

Is there a theme (or image) available which removes 90% of the eye
candy and adds some nice monospace fonts for all text-fields (Browser,
Workspace, Transcript, etc.)? I played around with preferences &
appearance from the world menu, but wasn't able to produce a usable
UI.

Squeak feels slow:

I don't mean the vm execution speed for bytecode (seaside apps are
fast enough), but the visual and/or tactile (i lack a better word
here) feedback of the UI just feels slow. Even when typing the output
sometimes lags behind ! It seems to get worse when adding things like
Shout or eCompletion (which i would like to use). Drag & drop of
window outlines is also slow.

Maybe it's possible to tweak the scheduler? Remove morphic, use MVC
world only? Im currently only interested in seaside development....

Emacs (well Aquamacs now) user here, so maybe im just spoiled .-)

Regards,
Dirk

Re: Developer theme/image?

stéphane ducasse-2
use squeak3.9 (gamma version coming soon ;)) but the latest version
is really good :)

> Is there a theme (or image) available which removes 90% of the eye
> candy and adds some nice monospace fonts for all text-fields (Browser,
> Workspace, Transcript, etc.)? I played around with preferences &
> appearance from the world menu, but wasn't able to produce a usable
> UI.
>
> Squeak feels slow:
>
> I don't mean the vm execution speed for bytecode (seaside apps are
> fast enough), but the visual and/or tactile (i lack a better word
> here) feedback of the UI just feels slow. Even when typing the output
> sometimes lags behind ! It seems to get worse when adding things like
> Shout or eCompletion (which i would like to use). Drag & drop of
> window outlines is also slow.

in 3.8 a character cache was not activated so .....

> Maybe it's possible to tweak the scheduler? Remove morphic, use MVC
> world only? Im currently only interested in seaside development....
>
> Emacs (well Aquamacs now) user here, so maybe im just spoiled .-)

me too :)
load the keybinding :)

stef

Re: Developer theme/image?

Dirk Vleugels
Hello,

On 8/11/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> use squeak3.9 (gamma version coming soon ;)) but the latest version
> is really good :)

It's a lot faster for sure. Thanx for the hint....

> in 3.8 a character cache was not activated so .....

Ok.

> me too :)
> load the keybinding :)

Do you mean Emacs key bindings from SqueakMap? Do they work for you
(on macosx)? Ctrl-a is still mark-whole-buffer afterwards, not
beginning-of-line ....

Cheers,
Dirk
ps: is there a way to define _one_ font for all Editors, Browsers,
Debuggers, etc.? 'Lucida sans Typewriter' would be awesome ....

Re: Developer theme/image?

Damien Cassou-3
Dirk Vleugels wrote:
> On 8/11/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> load the keybinding :)
>
> Do you mean Emacs key bindings from SqueakMap? Do they work for you
> (on macosx)? Ctrl-a is still mark-whole-buffer afterwards, not
> beginning-of-line ....

I heard about a package with vi keybindings that is easy to configure
for emacs key bindings too. Can't find it however

Re: Developer theme/image?

Klaus D. Witzel
Name: SVI

is on SqueakMap...

/Klaus

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:38:46 +0200, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Dirk Vleugels wrote:
>> On 8/11/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> load the keybinding :)
>>  Do you mean Emacs key bindings from SqueakMap? Do they work for you
>> (on macosx)? Ctrl-a is still mark-whole-buffer afterwards, not
>> beginning-of-line ....
>
> I heard about a package with vi keybindings that is easy to configure
> for emacs key bindings too. Can't find it however

Re: Re: Developer theme/image?

Dirk Vleugels
On 8/16/06, Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Name:           SVI
>
> is on SqueakMap...

Yes, but is not installable on 3.9+.

Regards,