Dimensions in Croquet space

Holz, Marc
Dimensions in Croquet space

Hello,

When creating an object in a croquet space e.g. a floor like this here:

 floor := self makeFloor: space fileName: 'lawn.bmp'.
 floor extentX: 300 y: 0 z: 300.

what are the dimensions in the above example ? Meter or feet ?

Best regards,

Marc Holz

Siemens AG
A&D ATS4
D-90475 Nürnberg
Gleiwitzerstrasse 555
Tel ++49 911 895-3578
Fax ++49 911 895-4903
Email: [hidden email]

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinrich v. Pierer; Vorstand: Klaus Kleinfeld, Vorsitzender; Johannes Feldmayer, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Jürgen Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef, Klaus Wucherer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München
Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684
WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: [croquet-user] Dimensions in Croquet space

Bert Freudenberg
Croquet doesn't really use units ... but the default eye height is
1.6 if I remember correctly so meters is what everybody assumes.

- Bert -

On May 14, 2007, at 16:52 , Holz, Marc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When creating an object in a croquet space e.g. a floor like this
> here:
>
>  floor := self makeFloor: space fileName: 'lawn.bmp'.
>  floor extentX: 300 y: 0 z: 300.
>
> what are the dimensions in the above example ? Meter or feet ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marc Holz
>
> Siemens AG
> A&D ATS4
> D-90475 Nürnberg
> Gleiwitzerstrasse 555
> Tel ++49 911 895-3578
> Fax ++49 911 895-4903
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
> Heinrich v. Pierer; Vorstand: Klaus Kleinfeld, Vorsitzender;
> Johannes Feldmayer, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes,
> Jürgen Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J.
> Sharef, Klaus Wucherer
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München
> Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684
> WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: [croquet-user] Dimensions in Croquet space

David A Smith
Let's assume meters, but note that this makes the avatars quite tall. I
did not choose a size, per se. I wanted the TWindows to be 3x4 units,
and this stuck, so an avatar is just a little over 4 units tall - just a
bit taller than a TWindow. I think meters is the right thing to use,
though - so if someone wants to take the time to fix up the default size
values, that would be nice.

David

Holz, Marc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When creating an object in a croquet space e.g. a floor like this here:
>
>  floor := self makeFloor: space fileName: 'lawn.bmp'.
>  floor extentX: 300 y: 0 z: 300.
>
> what are the dimensions in the above example ? Meter or feet ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marc Holz
>
> Siemens AG
> A&D ATS4
> D-90475 Nürnberg
> Gleiwitzerstrasse 555
> Tel ++49 911 895-3578
> Fax ++49 911 895-4903
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinrich
> v. Pierer; Vorstand: Klaus Kleinfeld, Vorsitzender; Johannes
> Feldmayer, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Jürgen
> Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef, Klaus
> Wucherer
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München
> Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684
> WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: Re: [croquet-user] Dimensions in Croquet space

David P. Reed
You know, I think of the windows as being about 3 cm x 4 cm.   The
avatars are just over 4 cm tall, in my mind.   Why do you think that
avatars are as big as humans?   It never occurred to me that they would
be, since they are so much less capable physically or intellectually.

I "peek into" the Croquet world - I don't live there.

David A Smith wrote:

> Let's assume meters, but note that this makes the avatars quite tall.
> I did not choose a size, per se. I wanted the TWindows to be 3x4
> units, and this stuck, so an avatar is just a little over 4 units tall
> - just a bit taller than a TWindow. I think meters is the right thing
> to use, though - so if someone wants to take the time to fix up the
> default size values, that would be nice.
>
> David
>

> Holz, Marc wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When creating an object in a croquet space e.g. a floor like this here:
>>
>>  floor := self makeFloor: space fileName: 'lawn.bmp'.
>>  floor extentX: 300 y: 0 z: 300.
>>
>> what are the dimensions in the above example ? Meter or feet ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Marc Holz
>>
>> Siemens AG
>> A&D ATS4
>> D-90475 Nürnberg
>> Gleiwitzerstrasse 555
>> Tel ++49 911 895-3578
>> Fax ++49 911 895-4903
>> Email: [hidden email]
>>
>> Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinrich
>> v. Pierer; Vorstand: Klaus Kleinfeld, Vorsitzender; Johannes
>> Feldmayer, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Jürgen
>> Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef,
>> Klaus Wucherer
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München
>> Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684
>> WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

RE: Re: [croquet-user] Dimensions in Croquet space

David Gleason
RE: [croquet-dev] Re: [croquet-user] Dimensions in Croquet space

I'm new to Croquet, but I think the reason it's a great paradigm is that it's intuitive, because it mimics our 3d space-time reality.  Well, real numbers almost always have some kind of units associated with them (unless it's a dimensionless quantity such as a ratio).  e.g. if I order some carpet and say "I need 100 x 200 of tan carpet" they are going to ask "100 x 200 what?, feet? yards? meters?).

And from an API perspective, I think for the long term success of a system, it should be possible to just specify the units, instead of having to go and lookup whatever arbitrary units are being used by every thing you call, which would waste a lot of time, and facilitate bugs.  (e.g. the NASA Mars mission that crashed because the thing that calculated distance to the surface returned feet, and the thing that decided when to inflate the landing system interpreted the return value in meters.)

For things to be simple and intuitive we should be able to say simply "floor extentX: 300 meters y: 0 z: 300 feet." for example.  Is there some uniform support in Croquet for this to happen, i.e. can number objects store what units they are in?  I would be happy to contibute some time to look into this if there is interest.

-David Gleason

David A Smith wrote:
> Let's assume meters, but note that this makes the avatars quite tall.
> I did not choose a size, per se. I wanted the TWindows to be 3x4
> units, and this stuck, so an avatar is just a little over 4 units tall
> - just a bit taller than a TWindow. I think meters is the right thing
> to use, though - so if someone wants to take the time to fix up the
> default size values, that would be nice.
>
> David
>

> Holz, Marc wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When creating an object in a croquet space e.g. a floor like this here:
>>
>>  floor := self makeFloor: space fileName: 'lawn.bmp'.
>>  floor extentX: 300 y: 0 z: 300.
>>
>> what are the dimensions in the above example ? Meter or feet ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Marc Holz
>>
>> Siemens AG
>> A&D ATS4
>> D-90475 Nürnberg
>> Gleiwitzerstrasse 555
>> Tel ++49 911 895-3578
>> Fax ++49 911 895-4903
>> Email: [hidden email]
>>
>> Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinrich
>> v. Pierer; Vorstand: Klaus Kleinfeld, Vorsitzender; Johannes
>> Feldmayer, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Jürgen
>> Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef,
>> Klaus Wucherer
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München
>> Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684
>> WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: Re: [croquet-user] Dimensions in Croquet space

john_sellers@sellers.com
Actually dimensions are a great idea.  If any of you have see MathCad, it has a good implementation of dimensioning. It is really wonderful and enables conversion to be gracefully and effectively handled for just about any situation where dimensions are involved, no matter how complicated.

To explain such a system in its simplest and most crude form, all you have to do is define the unit conversions factors as values TO whatever global system of units you decide for the current standard.  This could be MKS, CGS, or whatever.  You would certainly need a set of length and time constants.  Then depending on how much you want to be able to simulate, the system could possibly also include mass, substance, charge, temperature, and luminosity, giving you a comprehensive method of scaling all kinds of dimensional values simulated in croquet or just used as pure data.

To extend it is simple.  If you decide you need a new measure like bigNose as 3.21 inches, where her hand is 2.3 bigNoses long then:

        bigNose := 3.21 * in.  "inches per bigNose times meters per inch is going to be meters per bigNose."
        herHand := 2.3 * bigNose.  "bigNoses times meters per bigNose is going to be meters"
        DisplayValueInCentimeters := herHand / cm.  "meters divided by meters per centimeter is going to be centimeters"

Another example: if you want to talk about 23 inches per second and convert this to miles per hour, it would look something like this:

     currentVelocity := 23 * inches / sec.
     displayValueInMilesPerHour := currentVelocity / (  mi / hr ).

This gracefully generalizes to just about any measure.  For example if you want to convert from 111112 cubic feet per day to cubic yards per minute, you could say:

    volumeRate := 111112 * (ft raisedTo: 3) / day.
   displayValueInCubicYardsPerSecond := volumeRate /( (yd raisedTo: 3) / sec ).

Otherwise, as you do your calculations, you don't really have to worry about conversions, because once you incorporate the dimensions into your input quantities, any calculations you do will be internally correct to your MKS , CGS, or whatever system.  It is only upon displaying results you need to convert to apply the correct dimensions in whatever different units you wish to display.

David A Smith wrote:
> Let's assume meters, but note that this makes the avatars quite tall.
> I did not choose a size, per se. I wanted the TWindows to be 3x4
> units, and this stuck, so an avatar is just a little over 4 units tall
> - just a bit taller than a TWindow. I think meters is the right thing
> to use, though - so if someone wants to take the time to fix up the
> default size values, that would be nice.
>
> David
>

> Holz, Marc wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When creating an object in a croquet space e.g. a floor like this here:
>>
>>  floor := self makeFloor: space fileName: 'lawn.bmp'.
>>  floor extentX: 300 y: 0 z: 300.
>>
>> what are the dimensions in the above example ? Meter or feet ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Marc Holz
>>
>> Siemens AG
>> A&D ATS4
>> D-90475 Nürnberg
>> Gleiwitzerstrasse 555
>> Tel ++49 911 895-3578
>> Fax ++49 911 895-4903
>> Email: [hidden email]
>>
>> Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Heinrich
>> v. Pierer; Vorstand: Klaus Kleinfeld, Vorsitzender; Johannes
>> Feldmayer, Joe Kaeser, Rudi Lamprecht, Eduardo Montes, Jürgen
>> Radomski, Erich R. Reinhardt, Hermann Requardt, Uriel J. Sharef,
>> Klaus Wucherer
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München
>> Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684
>> WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: Dimensions in Croquet space

Bert Freudenberg
You might want to check out the Units package:

        http://map.squeak.org/package/8664cb28-916b-4e8a-8cd6-b6db73f5024c

- Bert -