Directory name sorting in file list and file chooser/saver dialogues

Directory name sorting in file list and file chooser/saver dialogues

timrowledge
I've not made a lot of use of the filelist in a long time but recently it seems to be something I need more frequently. It was bugging me for some reason and I finally realised why - the directory tree isn't sorting subdirectories alphabetically - they're just random (presumably strictly speaking in order of unix file node number of linkage or whatever) and that makes finding stuff surprisingly hard. The file dialogues are sorted but...

There's an easy fix but there is also a UI issue; sort by strict ASCII type sort or by case-ignore ASCII? I prefer case-ignore but I suspect that isn't universal. So, before I commit something, chime in about your preferences. I'd really prefer not to add yet another preference - we have orders of magnitude too many - but if it is really neccessary...

And I suppose there may be some issue about hidden files too.

Your hate mail will be graded.

tim
May the bugs of many programs nest on your hard drive.

Re: Directory name sorting in file list and file chooser/saver dialogues

Karl Ramberg
I would prefer that files and directories sort by the same rule.

I think file names are ignoring cases now.
But whatever, the same rule for both keeps sanity

Best,
Karl

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 6:44 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

K K Subbu
On 20/06/20 10:13 am, tim Rowledge wrote:
> There's an easy fix but there is also a UI issue; sort by strict
> ASCII type sort or by case-ignore ASCII? I prefer case-ignore but I
> suspect that isn't universal.

+1 for sorting subdirs ignoring case. The context is a search, not
input. I don't think the precise ASCII code used in the name matters here.

> And I suppose there may be some issue about hidden files too.

I would just go with whatever subdir entries is returned by the
FilePlugin. Oh dear! did I just open a can of worms ;-)?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Directory name sorting in file list and file chooser/saver dialogues

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-20, at 1:05 AM, K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And I suppose there may be some issue about hidden files too.
>
> I would just go with whatever subdir entries is returned by the
> FilePlugin. Oh dear! did I just open a can of worms ;-)?

A *hidden* can of worms

tim
A)bort, R)etry, P)ee in drive door

Re: Directory name sorting in file list and file chooser/saver dialogues

timrowledge
Try this and see if it makes life a little better  -

tim
Useful random insult:- Low on thinking gas.

FileDirectory-listing-sorter.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

On 20/06/20 10:44 pm, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Try this and see if it makes life a little better  -

+1. Works like charm! This should go into the trunk.

Thanks and Regards .. Subbu