Disabling halos and the world menu

Jens Pall
Hi

How can I prevent the halos from appearing when clicking the middle
mouse button?

I tried Preferences>>disableProgrammerFacilities but the halos still
appear. The World menu (left mouse button) also still appears. Shouldn't
this command also disable it?

I'm interested in locking the image down as much as possible in order to
be able to ship it running a product sold by my company.

I'm using VM 3.7.1 on Windows and image 3.9-final-7067.

Thanks,
JP

Re: Disabling halos and the world menu

Brad Fuller-3
Jens Pall wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can I prevent the halos from appearing when clicking the middle
> mouse button?
>
> I tried Preferences>>disableProgrammerFacilities but the halos still
> appear. The World menu (left mouse button) also still appears.
> Shouldn't this command also disable it?
>
> I'm interested in locking the image down as much as possible in order
> to be able to ship it running a product sold by my company.
>
> I'm using VM 3.7.1 on Windows and image 3.9-final-7067.
check this out:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Jens Pall wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> How can I prevent the halos from appearing when clicking the middle
>> mouse button?
>>
>> I tried Preferences>>disableProgrammerFacilities but the halos still
>> appear. The World menu (left mouse button) also still appears.
>> Shouldn't this command also disable it?
>>
>> I'm interested in locking the image down as much as possible in order
>> to be able to ship it running a product sold by my company.
>>
>> I'm using VM 3.7.1 on Windows and image 3.9-final-7067.
> check this out:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518

Thanks Brad, but it doesn't seem to be working as described on that
page. The message should disable halos and the world menu but it doesn't
(those are easy to check - haven't checked the other features).

Do I need to use the code from bike-nomad (which seems to from a 3.4 image)?

Jens Pall wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Jens Pall wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> How can I prevent the halos from appearing when clicking the middle
>>> mouse button?
>>>
>>> I tried Preferences>>disableProgrammerFacilities but the halos still
>>> appear. The World menu (left mouse button) also still appears.
>>> Shouldn't this command also disable it?
>>>
>>> I'm interested in locking the image down as much as possible in
>>> order to be able to ship it running a product sold by my company.
>>>
>>> I'm using VM 3.7.1 on Windows and image 3.9-final-7067.
>> check this out:
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518
>>
> Thanks Brad, but it doesn't seem to be working as described on that
> page. The message should disable halos and the world menu but it
> doesn't (those are easy to check - haven't checked the other features).
>
> Do I need to use the code from bike-nomad (which seems to from a 3.4
> image)?
You're right, seems it only works a bit = for instance,  the menus are
modified (e.g. there is no "do it"), but not as advertised in the swiki..

If you install the Squeakmap package "Lockdown", it does work, but ends
in a error after installation. Seems to work fine, though.

You could file a defect on the mantis server and explain that it doesn't
work identical to the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518

I copied Ned. Maybe he can explain more.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: Disabling halos and the world menu

Ned Konz
Brad Fuller wrote:

> Jens Pall wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> check this out:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518
>>>
>> Thanks Brad, but it doesn't seem to be working as described on that
>> page. The message should disable halos and the world menu but it
>> doesn't (those are easy to check - haven't checked the other features).
>>
>> Do I need to use the code from bike-nomad (which seems to from a 3.4
>> image)?
> You're right, seems it only works a bit = for instance,  the menus are
> modified (e.g. there is no "do it"), but not as advertised in the swiki..
>
> If you install the Squeakmap package "Lockdown", it does work, but ends
> in a error after installation. Seems to work fine, though.
>
> You could file a defect on the mantis server and explain that it doesn't
> work identical to the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518
>
> I copied Ned. Maybe he can explain more.

I haven't touched Squeak in a while. Probably the package needs to be
updated; there have been a number of changes to the menu system.

Really, the way I wrote it was to just take the things that I wanted to
disable one by one and just figured out how to do so.

--
Ned Konz
[hidden email]

Ned Konz wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>> Jens Pall wrote:

>>> Thanks Brad, but it doesn't seem to be working as described on that
>>> page. The message should disable halos and the world menu but it
>>> doesn't (those are easy to check - haven't checked the other features).
>>>
>>> Do I need to use the code from bike-nomad (which seems to from a 3.4
>>> image)?
>> You're right, seems it only works a bit = for instance,  the menus
>> are modified (e.g. there is no "do it"), but not as advertised in the
>> swiki..
>>
>> If you install the Squeakmap package "Lockdown", it does work, but
>> ends in a error after installation. Seems to work fine, though.
>>
>> You could file a defect on the mantis server and explain that it
>> doesn't work identical to the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518
>>
>> I copied Ned. Maybe he can explain more.
>>

> I haven't touched Squeak in a while. Probably the package needs to be
> updated; there have been a number of changes to the menu system.
>
> Really, the way I wrote it was to just take the things that I wanted
> to disable one by one and just figured out how to do so.

Ok, thanks. I'll try the code in the swiki and also see if I can follow
Ned's approach to figure out how I can disable the things I want to have
disabled.

Cheers,

Jens Pall wrote:

> Ned Konz wrote:
>> Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> You're right, seems it only works a bit = for instance,  the menus
>>> are modified (e.g. there is no "do it"), but not as advertised in
>>> the swiki..
>>>
>>> If you install the Squeakmap package "Lockdown", it does work, but
>>> ends in a error after installation. Seems to work fine, though.
>>>
>>> You could file a defect on the mantis server and explain that it
>>> doesn't work identical to the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/518
>>>
>>> I copied Ned. Maybe he can explain more.
>>>

>> I haven't touched Squeak in a while. Probably the package needs to be
>> updated; there have been a number of changes to the menu system.
>>
>> Really, the way I wrote it was to just take the things that I wanted
>> to disable one by one and just figured out how to do so.
>>

> Ok, thanks. I'll try the code in the swiki and also see if I can
> follow Ned's approach to figure out how I can disable the things I
> want to have disabled.
After you get it to work, how about making it a package?

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Jens Pall wrote:
>> Ned Konz wrote:

>>> I haven't touched Squeak in a while. Probably the package needs to
>>> be updated; there have been a number of changes to the menu system.
>>>
>>> Really, the way I wrote it was to just take the things that I wanted
>>> to disable one by one and just figured out how to do so.
>>>

>> Ok, thanks. I'll try the code in the swiki and also see if I can
>> follow Ned's approach to figure out how I can disable the things I
>> want to have disabled.
> After you get it to work, how about making it a package?

Sure. How do I do that?

Jens Pall wrote:
>> After you get it to work, how about making it a package?
>>
> Sure. How do I do that?
I searched wiki.squeak.org for "Squeak Packages" and found these
relevant pages:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/779
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2726
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1287

If you have questions, I suggest you send them to the squeak-dev mailing
list. to subscribe:

brad

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Jens Pall wrote:
>>> After you get it to work, how about making it a package?
>>>
>> Sure. How do I do that?
> I searched wiki.squeak.org for "Squeak Packages" and found these
> relevant pages:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/779
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2726
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1287
>
> If you have questions, I suggest you send them to the squeak-dev
> mailing list. to subscribe:

oppss.. Sorry, that didn't sound right!

What I meant to say was:
Since creating packages and placing them on SqueakMap is more advanced,
further questions about SqueakMap/Packages should be sent to the
developers mailing list (squeak-dev). There are plenty of people on that
list who can help.

brad

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>>>>
>>> Sure. How do I do that?
>> I searched wiki.squeak.org for "Squeak Packages" and found these
>> relevant pages:
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/779
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2726
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1287
>>
>> If you have questions, I suggest you send them to the squeak-dev
>> mailing list. to subscribe:
>>
> oppss.. Sorry, that didn't sound right!
>
> What I meant to say was:
> Since creating packages and placing them on SqueakMap is more
> advanced, further questions about SqueakMap/Packages should be sent to
> the developers mailing list (squeak-dev). There are plenty of people
> on that list who can help.
>
> brad

Thanks Brad. I'll take a look at the links and see how it goes.

JP