DisplayHostWindow questions

LawsonEnglish
OK, managed to download Squeak 4.4 and the first thing I noticed was the
comment about host windows.

So, I found the example DisplayHostWindow examplePaint and "did it."

Kool. Random color drawing in an external window. So.. the thought
processes went sorta like this...

Let's make a video. First, let's practice. Execute the example code.
Hmmm. Freezes out the rest of squeak. OK... Grab the example code. Paste
into a workspace. Tidy up references to PooledDictionary event
definitions. Execute. Um. Hm...

OK, let's try something simple:

Execute a really simple subset of the example code in a workspace...

win := DisplayHostWindow extent: 400@400 depth: 32.
     win offset: 50@50; open; windowTitle: 'Paint Test'

doit... Squeak still frozen.

OK...

myTest := [win := DisplayHostWindow extent: 400@400 depth: 32.
     win offset: 50@50; open; windowTitle: 'Paint Test'] fork

doIt...

Squeak still frozen.

and...

I'm stuck.  Is there any way to have an external window up and
manipulate it interactively while still having access to the Class
Browser, Workspace, etc?

This could be a very cool demo if I can get it working, but...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Lawson

--
Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian Kernighan

Re: DisplayHostWindow questions

Bert Freudenberg

On 13.01.2014, at 03:56, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, managed to download Squeak 4.4 and the first thing I noticed was the comment about host windows.
>
> So, I found the example DisplayHostWindow examplePaint and "did it."
>
> Kool. Random color drawing in an external window. So.. the thought processes went sorta like this...

> Let's make a video. First, let's practice. Execute the example code. Hmmm. Freezes out the rest of squeak.

Works fine for me on Mac OS. You can still see the text cursor blinking in your workspace, which means Squeak is not frozen.

To make the main Squeak window accept input, you have to raise it to the top using its title bar. This is something the VM should do automatically, but since nobody uses multiple windows, this has not been necessary yet.

YMMV on other platforms.

- Bert -

Re: DisplayHostWindow questions

timrowledge

On 13-01-2014, at 3:13 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> YMMV on other platforms.

It’s been a while since I tried it but Ffenestri worked pretty well on RISC OS.

It has been a source of wry amusement that after years of widespread whining about the desperate - desperate I say!! - need to have host windows, since John McI & I implemented the basic support in ’04 pretty much nothing has been done with it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PUS: PUrge System

On 13.01.2014, at 19:29, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13-01-2014, at 3:13 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> YMMV on other platforms.
>
> It’s been a while since I tried it but Ffenestri worked pretty well on RISC OS.
>
> It has been a source of wry amusement that after years of widespread whining about the desperate - desperate I say!! - need to have host windows, since John McI & I implemented the basic support in ’04 pretty much nothing has been done with it.

Well, Sophie wasn't exactly nothing. But other than that you're right of course.

- Bert -