Documenting which GCC version is supposed to be used

Documenting which GCC version is supposed to be used

Mariano Martinez Peck

Hi. Coming from the problem of the "-mno-fused-madd"  and some personal comments from Andres, I think it is important to know and document which is the GCC version  that is expected to work (taking into account all compiler flags for example).

Now that we have the CMakeVMMaker classes, I think it may be a good place to put such info in class comments and class side methods. For example, in SqueakDBX, in the OpenDBX class (which is the class that does the binding with FFI to OpenDBX) I have a class method  called  expectedOpenDBXVersion  which is something like.

expectedOpenDBXVersion
^ '1.5.6'

So...when I update SqueakdBX to use a new version of OpenDBX I just change that. In addition, in the documentation (the website) I document that the OpenDBX version they should use, is defined in #expectedOpenDBXVersion.

Maybe something like this can be done in CMakeVMMaker classes.

Cheers

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Documenting which GCC version is supposed to be used

Igor Stasenko

IMO: Nonono.. VM should be compileable by any standard compliant C compiler.

In presence of JIT it makes no sense to produce non-portable C code,
which works only under special compiler.

And then we don't need to maintain this info.
For OpenDBX is another story, because you are linking with specific
version of library, which API might change.
But for compiling stuff.. i'd prefer to not mess with it.

On 12 April 2011 19:03, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi. Coming from the problem of the "-mno-fused-madd"  and some personal comments from Andres, I think it is important to know and document which is the GCC version  that is expected to work (taking into account all compiler flags for example).
>
> Now that we have the CMakeVMMaker classes, I think it may be a good place to put such info in class comments and class side methods. For example, in SqueakDBX, in the OpenDBX class (which is the class that does the binding with FFI to OpenDBX) I have a class method  called  expectedOpenDBXVersion  which is something like.
>
> expectedOpenDBXVersion
> ^ '1.5.6'
>
> So...when I update SqueakdBX to use a new version of OpenDBX I just change that. In addition, in the documentation (the website) I document that the OpenDBX version they should use, is defined in #expectedOpenDBXVersion.
>
> Maybe something like this can be done in CMakeVMMaker classes.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com