Download location for Etoys 4.0 image ?

dcorking
Can you suggest a place where I can download the Etoys 4.0 2206 image,
please? (I don't want to download the whole of Sugar: just the image
and changes)

I couldn't spot it on the sugarlabs or squeakland sites, but maybe I
didn't look carefully enough.

The http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84/Etoys
suggests that 4.0.2206 is an official release for end users.  Do I
understand that page correctly?

Have there been any updates to the Linux VM since Etoys 3.0?

David

Re: Download location for Etoys 4.0 image ?

Bert Freudenberg
On 15.06.2009, at 22:17, David Corking wrote:

> Can you suggest a place where I can download the Etoys 4.0 2206 image,
> please? (I don't want to download the whole of Sugar: just the image
> and changes)

The latest Sugar Etoys test image is at

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

You can see what's new at

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/NEWS

> I couldn't spot it on the sugarlabs or squeakland sites, but maybe I
> didn't look carefully enough.

We will have a new Squeakland release based on 4.0 this summer. Betas
should start to be available soon on the Squeakland site.

Note that despite of the major version change, from a user's point of
view 4.0 will not be much different from 3.0. The new version number
signifies a change in license (now fully under a Free Software
license, namely MIT+Apache) and a change in leadership (the Squeakland
Foundation is taking over from Viewpoints Research). Of course there
will be bug fixes and maybe some new niceties but no major new features.

> The http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84/Etoys
> suggests that 4.0.2206 is an official release for end users.  Do I
> understand that page correctly?

Well, these are obviously developer pages. Sugar 1.0 will be the
actual release for end users. We consider the Etoys version in Sugar
stable and usable, but it's not yet "official". Preliminary releases
are at

http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/etoys/

End users on Linux should use the version included in their Linux
distribution if it is available, otherwise the download at
squeakland.org is what we recommend everyone to use.

> Have there been any updates to the Linux VM since Etoys 3.0?

Yes.

- Bert -

Re: Download location for Etoys 4.0 image ?

dcorking
Thank you, Bert, for the detailed explanation and download locations.

You wrote:

>> The
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84/Etoys
>> suggests that 4.0.2206 is an official release for end users.  Do I
>> understand that page correctly?
>
> Well, these are obviously developer pages. Sugar 1.0 will be the actual
> release for end users.

My misunderstanding then  (I guess this explains why  "Utilities
updateFromServer" on my end-user 3.0 image downloads nothing.)

I will be glad to have the bug fixed code in my hands early, (even
though I have not exercised the bugs yet.)  Thanks again.

A follow up question as my search skills failed me again:  have
release criteria for Sugar 1.0 been posted yet ?  (What I have read so
far is a roadmap from 0.84 in April to 0.86 in the fall :
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Roadmap/0.86  .
I wondered if  0.86 will be a 1.0 release candidate, or if more new
features are planned for 1.0?)

David

Re: Download location for Etoys 4.0 image ?

David Farning-5
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM, David Corking<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Bert, for the detailed explanation and download locations.
>
> You wrote:
>
>>> The
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84/Etoys
>>> suggests that 4.0.2206 is an official release for end users.  Do I
>>> understand that page correctly?
>>
>> Well, these are obviously developer pages. Sugar 1.0 will be the actual
>> release for end users.
>
> My misunderstanding then  (I guess this explains why  "Utilities
> updateFromServer" on my end-user 3.0 image downloads nothing.)
>
> I will be glad to have the bug fixed code in my hands early, (even
> though I have not exercised the bugs yet.)  Thanks again.
>
> A follow up question as my search skills failed me again:  have
> release criteria for Sugar 1.0 been posted yet ?  (What I have read so
> far is a roadmap from 0.84 in April to 0.86 in the fall :
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Roadmap/0.86  .
> I wondered if  0.86 will be a 1.0 release candidate, or if more new
> features are planned for 1.0?)

>From the Sugar side of things I don't foresee a 1.0 coming out anytime
soon.  Our release cycle is base on adding .02 to the number every
release which occurs ever 6 months.

First we need to get a a stead release cycle, every six months like
clockwork.  Then we can start the debate of what is 1.0?:)

david

On 16.06.2009, at 23:12, David Corking wrote:

> Thank you, Bert, for the detailed explanation and download locations.
>
> You wrote:
>
>>> The
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84/Etoys
>>> suggests that 4.0.2206 is an official release for end users.  Do I
>>> understand that page correctly?
>>
>> Well, these are obviously developer pages. Sugar 1.0 will be the
>> actual
>> release for end users.
>
> My misunderstanding then  (I guess this explains why  "Utilities
> updateFromServer" on my end-user 3.0 image downloads nothing.)

For one, Etoys is deployed as part of Sugar but developed
independently, so the Sugar version isn't really indicative of the
maturity of the included Etoys release.

Secondly, the update stream is now only used for development, not for
updating user installations. Etoys is now installed as a regular
application, users do not have to deal with Squeak images, updates
etc. In fact, in any regular installation the image is read-only so
couldn't even be modified from inside Etoys.

> I will be glad to have the bug fixed code in my hands early, (even
> though I have not exercised the bugs yet.)  Thanks again.
>
> A follow up question as my search skills failed me again:  have
> release criteria for Sugar 1.0 been posted yet ?  (What I have read so
> far is a roadmap from 0.84 in April to 0.86 in the fall :
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Roadmap/0.86  .
> I wondered if  0.86 will be a 1.0 release candidate, or if more new
> features are planned for 1.0?)

That's a question better directed at the Sugar developers:

- Bert -

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>  (I guess this explains why  "Utilities
>> updateFromServer" on my end-user 3.0 image downloads nothing.)
> Secondly, the update stream is now only used for development, not for
> updating user installations. Etoys is now installed as a regular
> application, users do not have to deal with Squeak images, updates etc. In
> fact, in any regular installation the image is read-only so couldn't even be
> modified from inside Etoys.

This is a good feature.  Would it be helpful (or mischievous) if I
proposed an enhancement request to remove the 'update code from
server' command from the help menu?

(Similarly, file list ...  in the 3.0 image points to an ftp site at
tinlizzie.org that does not permit anonymous logins, and appears not
to be as current as etoys.laptop.org/dev .)