Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I was looking for the latest version of the

Loke/BabyIDE image

at https://data.mendeley.com/datasets/5xxgzv7fsp/1

>> > The image is my program repository. It includes some examples of DCI
>> > programming, Ellen's Personal Programming IDE, Squeak Reverse
>> > Engineering
>> > (SRE), and more.)

It is no longer available at this mendeley url as it is not a dataset
but a program.
Could somebody who has downloaded it please make it available on the
squeak web site?

Thank you
Regards
Hannes

On 10/4/20, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Trygve,
>
> I confirm also that the image runs very well on my Ubuntu Linux laptop
> with a VM compiled per http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 07:56:43PM +0900, masato sumi wrote:
>> Dear Trygve,
>>
>> I confirmed that I could launch the Loke/BabyIDE image with the included
>> SqueakVM for Windows (8.1 and 10)
>> and I could also launch it in a web browser by using the SqueakJS VM (
>> https://squeak.js.org/run ).
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>> --
>> sumim

>> > Dear Sumim,
>> > Thank you for your kind words.
>> >
>> > The latest version of Loke/BabyIDE written on Squeak3.10.2 is at
>> > https://data.mendeley.com/datasets/5xxgzv7fsp/1
>> > The image is my program repository. It includes some examples of DCI
>> > programming, Ellen's Personal Programming IDE, Squeak Reverse
>> > Engineering
>> > (SRE), and more.
>> >
>> > Best
>> > --Trygve
>> >
>> > On 2020-10-02 20:14, masato sumi wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear Trygve,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your very long term contribution and efforts.
>> >
>> > I'm very sorry that I couldn't help you at all now.
>> >
>> > I'm afraid, but could you please make your latest version of
>> > Loke/BabyIDE
>> > written on Squeak3.10.2 available for future generations of researchers
>> > and/or followers?
>> >
>> > Anyway, I think your ideas and thoughts should be passed on to future
>> > generations as faithfully as we can possible, and I myself will try to
>> > make
>> > sure that.
>> >
>> > Thank you so much and goodbye.
>> > Please take care of yourself.
>> >
>> > --
>> > sumim

>> > --
>> >
>> > *The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborate  to
>> > achieve
>> > a goal. *
>> > Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email] <%[hidden email]>
>> > Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
>> > N-0378 Oslo             http://fullOO.info
>> > Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625

Re: Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

Trygve
Hi,
I downloaded it to Mendeley because this should be a safe haven for data. It was accepted, given a DOI and published. Somebody low down in the Mendeley hierarchy has decided it is not a valid data set after all. They have broken my agreement with them and removed it  without informing me. This is now an ongoing discussion.

Here's is a version of the BabyIDE zip:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/trygver/assets/BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip

It may not be identical to the published version, but should be very close.
I have also finished a user guide for the image, I'll probably just make it an attachment to a squeak-Dev message.

How do I make files available on the Squeak web site?

Trygve

On 2020-10-02 20:14, masato sumi wrote:

Dear Trygve,

[...]

From around 1970, I was working on Prokon, a distributed system for

Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/trygver/
N-0378 Oslo
http://fullOO.info
Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625

Re: Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

fniephaus

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 9:28 pm, Trygve Reenskaug <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I downloaded it to Mendeley because this should be a safe haven for data. It was accepted, given a DOI and published. Somebody low down in the Mendeley hierarchy has decided it is not a valid data set after all. They have broken my agreement with them and removed it  without informing me. This is now an ongoing discussion.

Here's is a version of the BabyIDE zip:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/trygver/assets/BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip

It may not be identical to the published version, but should be very close.
I have also finished a user guide for the image, I'll probably just make it an attachment to a squeak-Dev message.

How do I make files available on the Squeak web site?

Hi Trygve,

Our website is on GitHub [1] and we accept pull requests. I'm part of the Squeak web team and am happy to assist or upload files to our file server.

Fabio

Trygve

Re: Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

David T. Lewis
Hi Fabio,

CC Squeak oversight board who I expect will support this enthusiastically.

If you could put the BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip file from Trygve's site on
http://files.squeak.org site, that would be great.

I would suggest saving it as:

  http://files.squeak.org/various_images/BabyIDE/BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip

Also, the zip file contains a README.txt so it might be a good idea to
save that README.txt file in the same folder with the zip.

I don't know that Trygve is a git user, but I'll try to help with a pull
request to tie this into our squeak.org site.

Thanks very much for your help,

Dave

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 11:18:08PM +0100, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> [...]
> > achieve
> > a goal. *
> > Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email] <%[hidden email]> <%[hidden email]>Morgedalsvn. 5A <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Morgedalsvn.+5A?entry=gmail&source=g>       http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
> > N-0378 Oslo             http://fullOO.info
> > Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625
> >

> > --
> >
> > *The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborate  to achieve
> > a goal. *
> > Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email] <%[hidden email]>
> > Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/trygver/
> > N-0378 Oslo             http://fullOO.info
> >

> > Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625

Re: Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

Hi Dave,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 3:46 AM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Fabio,
>
> CC Squeak oversight board who I expect will support this enthusiastically.
>
> If you could put the BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip file from Trygve's site on
> http://files.squeak.org site, that would be great.
>
> I would suggest saving it as:
>
>   http://files.squeak.org/various_images/BabyIDE/BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip
>
> Also, the zip file contains a README.txt so it might be a good idea to
> save that README.txt file in the same folder with the zip.

Done! I've also added BabyIDE to the project list on squeak.org:
https://squeak.org/projects/

Fabio

> [...]
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > *The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborate  to
> > > achieve
> > > a goal. *
> > > Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email] <%[hidden email]> <%[hidden email]>Morgedalsvn. 5A <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Morgedalsvn.+5A?entry=gmail&source=g>       http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
> > > N-0378 Oslo             http://fullOO.info
> > > Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > *The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborate  to achieve
> > > a goal. *
> > > Trygve Reenskaug      mailto: [hidden email] <%[hidden email]>
> > > Morgedalsvn. 5A       http://heim.ifi.uio.no/trygver/
> > > N-0378 Oslo             http://fullOO.info
> > >

> > > Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625

Re: [Board] Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

David T. Lewis
Fabio,

Thank you very much for updating https://squeak.org/projects with BabyIDE,
and thank you to Trygve Reenskaug for making this work available.

Dave

On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 03:51:54PM +0100, Fabio Niephaus wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 3:46 AM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Fabio,
> >
> > CC Squeak oversight board who I expect will support this enthusiastically.
> >
> > If you could put the BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip file from Trygve's site on
> > http://files.squeak.org site, that would be great.
> >
> > I would suggest saving it as:
> >
> >   http://files.squeak.org/various_images/BabyIDE/BabyIDE-2019.07.23.zip
> >
> > Also, the zip file contains a README.txt so it might be a good idea to
> > save that README.txt file in the same folder with the zip.
>
> Done! I've also added BabyIDE to the project list on squeak.org:
> https://squeak.org/projects/
>
> Fabio
>

> > I don't know that Trygve is a git user, but I'll try to help with a pull
> > request to tie this into our squeak.org site.
> >
> > Thanks very much for your help,
> >
> > Dave

> > > Hi Trygve,
> > >
> > > Our website is on GitHub [1] and we accept pull requests. I'm part of the
> > > Squeak web team and am happy to assist or upload files to our file server.
> > >
> > > Fabio
> > >

> > > [1]
> > > https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org

Re: [Board] Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

timrowledge

> On 2020-11-05, at 6:46 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Fabio,
>
> CC Squeak oversight board who I expect will support this enthusiastically.

Definitely.

tim
Strange OpCodes: L: Lie!

Re: Download of latest version of Loke/BabyIDE image? (was Re: A Sad Day ??? concluded)

Trygve
I have a long and a short story. The short story is

The BabyIDE image in now back on Mendeley
https://data.mendeley.com/datasets/5xxgzv7fsp/1

I have also written a user guide for all the programs in the image.

I'm working on making both files available on the Squeak website (on GitHub).

Cheers
Trygve