Downloading files with Metacello?

hernanmd
Hi guys,
I have a project which interfaces some DLL's using FFI, but I don't want the user to have to manually download the files and locate them in the proper VM path. Is there any way with Metacello to download these files in the VM folder automatically by just providing an URL?
Cheers,

Hernán

Re: Downloading files with Metacello?

Dale Henrichs
Hernán,

For .mcz repositories, no.

If you use a github repository, Metacello will download the whole repository into the local github-cache directory. So if the dlls etc. are stashed in the git repository (in a lib directory, for example), they will be downloaded along with the Monticello packages.

If you install the Metacello Preview[1] and cruise around the github-cache in your image directory, you should be able to `cd` through a couple of subdirectories[2] to the metacello-work directory you can see that the docs directory is included in addition to the repository directory...

Executing the following expression:

  ((Metacello image
    baseline: 'Metacello';
    list) repositorySpecs collect: [:repoSpec |
      repoSpec createRepository]) first directory

will return the repository directory and from there you'll be able to navigate to any of the other subdirectories...This also works for filetree:// repositories which you would be using during development.

Of course all of this depends upon the Metacello Preview which is not in general release...yet.

Check out the Getting Started doc[3] if this is an interesting approach...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/README.md
[2] dalehenrich/metacello-work/cecd1626d27f67175f22e6075ca2d1177da1d525/dalehenrich-metacello-work-cecd162
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/GettingStartedWithGitHub.md
| I have a project which interfaces some DLL's using FFI, but I don't
| want the user to have to manually download the files and locate them
| in the proper VM path. Is there any way with Metacello to download
| these files in the VM folder automatically by just providing an URL?
| Cheers,
|
| Hernán

Re: Downloading files with Metacello?

hernanmd
Hi Dale,
For this project I do not use social coding, but thanks for your pointers and suggestions, maybe it would be useful for other people too.
Best regards,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Downloading files with Metacello?

Frank Shearar-3
On 5 August 2012 05:35, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dale,
> For this project I do not use social coding, but thanks for your pointers
> and suggestions, maybe it would be useful for other people too.
> Best regards,

I never understand what people mean by "social coding". I think of hackdays.

Do you mean you develop software in isolation? If so, you should still
consider using version control, because it eases the burden of setting
up a new environment when your current machine's drive crashes.

Do you mean you don't share code/you work on a proprietary codebase?
If so, you should still consider using version control :). GitHub
provides private repositories (but that might be at a cost). Other
folks might also provide private repositories, or of course you could
set up your own. (It's not hard to do.) FileTree doesn't, as far as I
know, care _where_ the repository lives - github, your own drive,
whereever - so you could still use Dale's suggestion.

frank

> Hernán
>

> 2012/8/4 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hernán,
>>
>> For .mcz repositories, no.
>>
>> If you use a github repository, Metacello will download the whole
>> repository into the local github-cache directory. So if the dlls etc. are
>> stashed in the git repository (in a lib directory, for example), they will
>> be downloaded along with the Monticello packages.
>>
>> If you install the Metacello Preview[1] and cruise around the github-cache
>> in your image directory, you should be able to `cd` through a couple of
>> subdirectories[2] to the metacello-work directory you can see that the docs
>> directory is included in addition to the repository directory...
>>
>> Executing the following expression:
>>
>>   ((Metacello image
>>     baseline: 'Metacello';
>>     list) repositorySpecs collect: [:repoSpec |
>>       repoSpec createRepository]) first directory
>>
>> will return the repository directory and from there you'll be able to
>> navigate to any of the other subdirectories...This also works for
>> filetree:// repositories which you would be using during development.
>>
>> Of course all of this depends upon the Metacello Preview which is not in
>> general release...yet.
>>
>> Check out the Getting Started doc[3] if this is an interesting approach...
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/README.md
>> [2]
>> dalehenrich/metacello-work/cecd1626d27f67175f22e6075ca2d1177da1d525/dalehenrich-metacello-work-cecd162
>> [3]
>> https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/GettingStartedWithGitHub.md

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hernán Morales Durand wrote
Is there any way with Metacello to download these files in
the VM folder automatically by just providing an URL?
#preLoadDoIt or #postLoadDoIt?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Downloading files with Metacello?

hernanmd
Hi Frank,

2012/8/5 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
On 5 August 2012 05:35, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dale,
> For this project I do not use social coding, but thanks for your pointers
> and suggestions, maybe it would be useful for other people too.
> Best regards,

I never understand what people mean by "social coding". I think of hackdays.

There is a nice paper explaining the social features of GitHub

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~xia/resources/Documents/cscw2012_Github-paper-FinalVersion-1.pdf

Do you mean you develop software in isolation? If so, you should still
consider using version control, because it eases the burden of setting
up a new environment when your current machine's drive crashes.

Do you mean you don't share code/you work on a proprietary codebase?
If so, you should still consider using version control :). GitHub
provides private repositories (but that might be at a cost). Other
folks might also provide private repositories, or of course you could
set up your own. (It's not hard to do.) FileTree doesn't, as far as I
know, care _where_ the repository lives - github, your own drive,
whereever - so you could still use Dale's suggestion.

Yes, I know what version control is :) however I don't really need GitHub now, although I will take a look at FileTree. Thanks for the feedback.

frank

On 5 August 2012 16:00, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> 2012/8/5 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 5 August 2012 05:35, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Dale,
>> > For this project I do not use social coding, but thanks for your
>> > pointers
>> > and suggestions, maybe it would be useful for other people too.
>> > Best regards,
>>
>> I never understand what people mean by "social coding". I think of
>> hackdays.
>>

> There is a nice paper explaining the social features of GitHub
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~xia/resources/Documents/cscw2012_Github-paper-FinalVersion-1.pdf

I use GitHub every day. I just don't understand what people mean when
they say "social coding", hence why I asked the question. It sounds
like something you'd do in a pub.

frank

>> Do you mean you develop software in isolation? If so, you should still
>> consider using version control, because it eases the burden of setting
>> up a new environment when your current machine's drive crashes.
>>
>> Do you mean you don't share code/you work on a proprietary codebase?
>> If so, you should still consider using version control :). GitHub
>> provides private repositories (but that might be at a cost). Other
>> folks might also provide private repositories, or of course you could
>> set up your own. (It's not hard to do.) FileTree doesn't, as far as I
>> know, care _where_ the repository lives - github, your own drive,
>> whereever - so you could still use Dale's suggestion.
>>

> Yes, I know what version control is :) however I don't really need GitHub
> now, although I will take a look at FileTree. Thanks for the feedback.
>

>> frank
>>
>> > Hernán

One minor point ... you _are_ using "social coding" if you expect other folks to download your code:)

Dale

| For this project I do not use social coding, but thanks for your
| pointers and suggestions, maybe it would be useful for other people
| too.
| Best regards,
|
| Hernán
|

| 2012/8/4 Dale Henrichs < [hidden email] >
|

| Hernán,
|
| For .mcz repositories, no.
|
| If you use a github repository, Metacello will download the whole
| repository into the local github-cache directory. So if the dlls
| etc. are stashed in the git repository (in a lib directory, for
| example), they will be downloaded along with the Monticello
| packages.
|
| If you install the Metacello Preview[1] and cruise around the
| github-cache in your image directory, you should be able to `cd`
| through a couple of subdirectories[2] to the metacello-work
| directory you can see that the docs directory is included in
| addition to the repository directory...
|
| Executing the following expression:
|
| ((Metacello image
| baseline: 'Metacello';
| list) repositorySpecs collect: [:repoSpec |
| repoSpec createRepository]) first directory
|
| will return the repository directory and from there you'll be able to
| navigate to any of the other subdirectories...This also works for
| filetree:// repositories which you would be using during
| development.
|
| Of course all of this depends upon the Metacello Preview which is not
| in general release...yet.
|
| Check out the Getting Started doc[3] if this is an interesting
| approach...
|
| Dale
|
| [1]
| https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/README.md
| [2]
| dalehenrich/metacello-work/cecd1626d27f67175f22e6075ca2d1177da1d525/dalehenrich-metacello-work-cecd162
| [3]
| https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/GettingStartedWithGitHub.md

| |
| | Hi guys,
| | I have a project which interfaces some DLL's using FFI, but I don't
| | want the user to have to manually download the files and locate
| | them
| | in the proper VM path. Is there any way with Metacello to download
| | these files in the VM folder automatically by just providing an
| | URL?
| | Cheers,
| |
| | Hernán