Dr .Geo under Dynabook perspective

HilaireFernandes
Hello,

Some reflexions I want to share when looking at Dr. Geo under the
Dynabook perspective

http://blog.drgeo.eu/post/2018/Dr.-Geo-and-Dynamic-media

I am looking at more though on the Dynabook concept in the future.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Dr .Geo under Dynabook perspective

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Hilaire

Congratulations to your recent Dr. Geo release! I downloaded Dr. Geo
for the first time since a long time.

It is usefult to have the definition of 'Active Essay' restated in
your blog post

"
Alan Kay's personal dynamic media concept[1] and its implementation in
the interim Dynabook[2], [3] and later the Etoys system propose a mix
of written static contents and computer programs. The former is the
old world of book, the later the new world of computerised dynamic
simulation, model and hand-on experience; put together these contents
are the essence of an Active Essay[4].
"

So actually a static text together with code (most often a Domain
Specific Language) in a regular Smalltalk image may be considered an
'Active Essay'. And a collection of these Essays a 'Dynabook'.

Questions are of course also who writes these texts, how are they kept
and maintained over a long time along side with the code examples.

And about the Dr. Geo DSL. Is it well constructed and easy to learn.

--Hannes

On 7/10/18, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some reflexions I want to share when looking at Dr. Geo under the
> Dynabook perspective
>
> http://blog.drgeo.eu/post/2018/Dr.-Geo-and-Dynamic-media
>
> I am looking at more though on the Dynabook concept in the future.
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Dr .Geo under Dynabook perspective

HilaireFernandes
Hello Hannes,

Le 23/07/2018 à 11:38, H. Hirzel a écrit :
> So actually a static text together with code (most often a Domain
> Specific Language) in a regular Smalltalk image may be considered an
> 'Active Essay'. And a collection of these Essays a 'Dynabook'.
In the Smalltalk world of dynamic code, I guess you are right or mostly
right.
Mostly right because the simulated micro-world (think of geometry canvas
as DrGeo) still need to have a dedicated DSL to make simple to
instantiate a dedicated simulation from Smalltalk code only.
> Questions are of course also who writes these texts, how are they kept
> and maintained over a long time along side with the code examples.
Indeed that is important questions: how do you keep these texts, but
also share, and even more importantly glue them together to build a
simulation out of other simulations following a recursive pattern.
> And about the Dr. Geo DSL. Is it well constructed and easy to learn.
It try my best to make it easy, but you already found points to improve ;-)

Self embedded documentation is something that need to be improved in Dr.
Geo.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo