DrGeo as a part bins

Hilaire Fernandes-4
Hello,

I have redesigned the Dr. GeoII[1] user interface to make it looks like
a Morph component. It is more in the Squeak Morph constructivist
philosophy approach (see screenshot).

Now you can create an interactive geometry canvas (a PasteUpMorph
exactly) from the PartBins ([Alt]+O). From the halo menu or the canvas
menu you access two submenus, one to select a construction tool, the
other one to get buttons you can plug any where you want.

These changes mean you can take a DrGeo canvas and plug it in a
BookMorph page, then take some construction buttons you want the kids to
use and plug them in the page book as well. Well the usual stuff you
expect with Squeak.

Sorry the menu are still only in French, but you know that English and
French vocabulary are very close, don't you?

Fetch the latest source from
http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII.html. It should work with 3.8, 3.9
and SqueakLand.

It will be great if someone could produce a screencast.

Really designing stuff with Squeak is of great pleasure!

Hilaire

[1] Dr. GeoII is an interactive geometry tool for Squeak

drgeo-service.png (32K) Download Attachment

Re: DrGeo as a part bins

Hilaire Fernandes-4
I have posted a note in my blog at
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire/?post/2007/06/23/Dr-Geo-II-un-composant-Squeak

Even if the article is in French (it is my target audience), do not
hesitate to post there comment in English.

Hilaire

Hilaire Fernandes a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I have redesigned the Dr. GeoII[1] user interface to make it looks like
> a Morph component. It is more in the Squeak Morph constructivist
> philosophy approach (see screenshot).

Re: DrGeo as a part bins

Karl-19
Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have redesigned the Dr. GeoII[1] user interface to make it looks
> like a Morph component. It is more in the Squeak Morph constructivist
> philosophy approach (see screenshot).
>
> Now you can create an interactive geometry canvas (a PasteUpMorph
> exactly) from the PartBins ([Alt]+O). From the halo menu or the canvas
> menu you access two submenus, one to select a construction tool, the
> other one to get buttons you can plug any where you want.
>
> These changes mean you can take a DrGeo canvas and plug it in a
> BookMorph page, then take some construction buttons you want the kids
> to use and plug them in the page book as well. Well the usual stuff
> you expect with Squeak.
>
> Sorry the menu are still only in French, but you know that English and
> French vocabulary are very close, don't you?
>
> Fetch the latest source from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII.html. It should work with 3.8, 3.9
> and SqueakLand.
>
> It will be great if someone could produce a screencast.
>
> Really designing stuff with Squeak is of great pleasure!
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1] Dr. GeoII is an interactive geometry tool for Squeak
Looks very interesting. To bad I don't read any french, I have a hard
time understanding what to do with the different objects.
Here is a link to another project I have been using a little :
http://mathsnet.net/campus/construction/

You could publish the project on Squeak Map for even easier access
Karl

Re: DrGeo as a part bins

Hilaire Fernandes-4
2007/6/23, Karl <[hidden email]>:

Thanks to take a look!

> Looks very interesting. To bad I don't read any french, I have a hard

Yeah, I know it is really a pity, especially regarding DrGeoI
translated in more than 20 languages (including Swedish).  I don't
know yet how to fix reliably the issue within Squeak.

> time understanding what to do with the different objects.

Which ones did you try to use? May be there a some accessibility
problems not related to the language...

> Here is a link to another project I have been using a little :
> http://mathsnet.net/campus/construction/

Yes, Cinderella is a very famous interactive geometry software from
Germany. Although I do not know it I heard good things about it.

> You could publish the project on Squeak Map for even easier access

I try from SqueakSource but I got the page
http://bugs.impara.de/index.html?id=2753 when asking for a SqueakMap
release.
I never did SueakMap release before. How should I proceed?

Hilaire

RE : DrGeo as a part bins

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

Hi
v-geom is written using  E-toys with an intuitive interface.

All objects are in a figure on a playfield checked as parts bin and available by clicking on them.
Parameters are given using the player's type variable widgets attached to the objects.

Help balloon are indicating the kind of object needed.

the color of the widget is:
yellow for points.
black for lines
magenta for circles

This project is modifying the polygonMorph class and adds  two new categories:
morphing (used for animations)
vertices  which enable working with the handles in E-toys scripts.

See:
the superswiki  page for download:
http://ofset.org:8000/super.275

see the project in your browser using olpc or squeakplugin image:

http://superswikifr.ofset.org:8000/super/launcher?en-V-geom.002.pr

The page of ofset Wiki  (In French but with pictures explaining the constructions in the international visual langage for v-toys.
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Construction_interactive_de_figure_g%C3%A9om%C3%A8triques_avec_E-toy

The widgets used in the interface of V-geom is the start point for v-toys.

English pages about v-toys. A visual programing language based on E-toys.
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/En-V-toys

Cheers.

> I have redesigned the Dr. GeoII[1] user interface to make it looks
> like a Morph component. It is more in the Squeak Morph constructivist
> philosophy approach (see screenshot).
>
> Now you can create an interactive geometry canvas (a PasteUpMorph
> exactly) from the PartBins ([Alt]+O). From the halo menu or the canvas
> menu you access two submenus, one to select a construction tool, the
> other one to get buttons you can plug any where you want.
>
> These changes mean you can take a DrGeo canvas and plug it in a
> BookMorph page, then take some construction buttons you want the kids
> to use and plug them in the page book as well. Well the usual stuff
> you expect with Squeak.
>
> Sorry the menu are still only in French, but you know that English and
> French vocabulary are very close, don't you?
>
> Fetch the latest source from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII.html. It should work with 3.8, 3.9
> and SqueakLand.
>
> It will be great if someone could produce a screencast.
>
> Really designing stuff with Squeak is of great pleasure!
>
> Hilaire
>
> [1] Dr. GeoII is an interactive geometry tool for Squeak
Looks very interesting. To bad I don't read any french, I have a hard
time understanding what to do with the different objects.
Here is a link to another project I have been using a little :
http://mathsnet.net/campus/construction/

You could publish the project on Squeak Map for even easier access
Karl

Re: RE : DrGeo as a part bins

Karl-19
In  the OLPC image its even simpler to make a project like this because
there is already a polygon category so you drop a ellipse and a polygon
in the world and make a script like the attached pict.
Karl

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU) wrote:

> Hi
> v-geom is written using  E-toys with an intuitive interface.
>
> All objects are in a figure on a playfield checked as parts bin and available by clicking on them.
> Parameters are given using the player's type variable widgets attached to the objects.
>
> Help balloon are indicating the kind of object needed.
>
> the color of the widget is:
> yellow for points.
> black for lines
> magenta for circles
>
> This project is modifying the polygonMorph class and adds  two new categories:
> morphing (used for animations)
> vertices  which enable working with the handles in E-toys scripts.
>
> See:
> the superswiki  page for download:
> http://ofset.org:8000/super.275
>
> see the project in your browser using olpc or squeakplugin image:
>
> http://superswikifr.ofset.org:8000/super/launcher?en-V-geom.002.pr
>
> The page of ofset Wiki  (In French but with pictures explaining the constructions in the international visual langage for v-toys.
> http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Construction_interactive_de_figure_g%C3%A9om%C3%A8triques_avec_E-toy
>

> The widgets used in the interface of V-geom is the start point for v-toys.
>
> English pages about v-toys. A visual programing language based on E-toys.
> http://community.ofset.org/wiki/En-V-toys
>
> Cheers.

polygon path.jpeg (43K) Download Attachment

RE : RE : DrGeo as a part bins

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDUM)

"In  the OLPC image its even simpler to make a project like this because
there is already a polygon category so you drop a ellipse and a polygon
in the world and make a script like the attached pict."

Hi,
I just discover this while searching solution for the question pen trail as object in the discussion list.
All this job was done about 4 or 5 years ago using squeak 3.6.

I have worked on connecting interactive geometry and expert system in squeak prolog.
The expert system (forward chaining)was doing deductions about the figure using rules about geometry.

But squeak prolog is no more working for squeak version higher then 3.6

I have tried to use Scheme and Schelog , but too slow to be useful.

What I did now is an interface to get affirmations in a text and to paste this text in other programs  for instance swiprolog which is very fast.

I have an interface doing the same thing for Squeak DrGeo  too.

You can see a screen shot  of this and comment (in French) on the wiki of the French Squeak community:

http://community.ofset.org/wiki/G%C3%A9om%C3%A9trie_et_syst%C3%A8me_expert

This is a project on which I'm working now.

I'll do a new version of v-geom for OLPC using olpc's tiles so that OLPC image  will not be changed.

The change set  used was adding two new categories one about vertices no more useful and one for morphing,which enable to keep the successive positions of the vertices in an array and to generate intermediate positions (Morphing) for creating animation of frames.

The attached change set will just add the Morphing category to polygons.

See balloon help of tiles for documentation.

Regards

In  the OLPC image its even simpler to make a project like this because
there is already a polygon category so you drop a ellipse and a polygon
in the world and make a script like the attached pict.
Karl

Dreyfuss Pierre-André (EDU) wrote:

> Hi
> v-geom is written using  E-toys with an intuitive interface.
>
> All objects are in a figure on a playfield checked as parts bin and available by clicking on them.
> Parameters are given using the player's type variable widgets attached to the objects.
>
> Help balloon are indicating the kind of object needed.
>
> the color of the widget is:
> yellow for points.
> black for lines
> magenta for circles
>
> This project is modifying the polygonMorph class and adds  two new categories:
> morphing (used for animations)
> vertices  which enable working with the handles in E-toys scripts.
>
> See:
> the superswiki  page for download:
> http://ofset.org:8000/super.275
>
> see the project in your browser using olpc or squeakplugin image:
>
> http://superswikifr.ofset.org:8000/super/launcher?en-V-geom.002.pr
>
> The page of ofset Wiki  (In French but with pictures explaining the constructions in the international visual langage for v-toys.
> http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Construction_interactive_de_figure_g%C3%A9om%C3%A8triques_avec_E-toy
>

> The widgets used in the interface of V-geom is the start point for v-toys.
>
> English pages about v-toys. A visual programing language based on E-toys.
> http://community.ofset.org/wiki/En-V-toys
>
> Cheers.

morphing.2.cs (10K) Download Attachment