Dummy question

nacho
Hi Cuisers...

When I file-in some package or source code, sometimes all the lines appear terminating with a litlle "pi" surrounded by square. I guess has something to do with the encoding of the file.
Is there a way to remove all this garbage?
thanks in advance
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Dummy question

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Nacho,

Yes, it is the CR/LF vs LF or CR only issue. It has been discussed on
the ML in the past but I do not remember what the workaround was.

In any case text files you produce with Cuis on a particular platform
do not show the inverted P sign.

--Hannes

On 4/14/14, nacho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cuisers...
>
> When I file-in some package or source code, sometimes all the lines appear
> terminating with a litlle "pi" surrounded by square. I guess has something
> to do with the encoding of the file.
> Is there a way to remove all this garbage?
> thanks in advance
> Nacho
>

> -----
> Nacho
> Smalltalker apprentice.
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Dummy question

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

The usual way to is to convert the whole file to use LF, the chosen line
terminator in Cuis (and Unix, Mac, etc). Select the file in the
FileList, move the cursor to the file contents, do alt-a (select all)
alt-shift-u (normalize line endings). Save the file (with a different
name!!!!).

There might be some situations where you specifically want to use CR or
CRLF. If so, in the Cuis editors, use Ctrl-Enter or Alt-Enter. The
"paragraph mark in a box" glyph is used to show what's really there. In
the FileList you can also right-click and "view as hex" to check the
results of your edits.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 14/04/2014 11:15 a.m., H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hi Nacho,
>
> Yes, it is the CR/LF vs LF or CR only issue. It has been discussed on
> the ML in the past but I do not remember what the workaround was.
>
> In any case text files you produce with Cuis on a particular platform
> do not show the inverted P sign.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 4/14/14, nacho<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi Cuisers...
>>
>> When I file-in some package or source code, sometimes all the lines appear
>> terminating with a litlle "pi" surrounded by square. I guess has something
>> to do with the encoding of the file.
>> Is there a way to remove all this garbage?
>> thanks in advance
>> Nacho
>>

>> -----
>> Nacho