[ENH Request] FFI Wide-character Support

1 message Options

[ENH Request] FFI Wide-character Support

Ron Teitelbaum

All,

After using FFI for a short time now I would say that it is a very important part of the development platform.  There is a lot of power to being able to communicate to external systems.  Consider talking to databases, report writers, OS api’s   …

Given that this is an important part of our platform, I think that the lack of wide character support is a real problem for squeak.  Without wide character support we loose the capabilities to communicate with systems that use languages that are not supported by Ascii.  I personally saw this problem in the Microsoft API where there is a lot of support for wide characters.  It appears that my problem is solvable by not supporting non Ascii string names however since we have recently started supporting wide characters I’m asking the community to support wide characters in FFI.

I do not feel that I have the expertise or the understanding currently to make this change so if anyone has the skills and time to make the change could you please consider it.  Send patches to Andreas([hidden email]).

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Ron Teitelbaum

Mantis Bug # 4379

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4379