ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

12345

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks a lot steven for pissing on us.
This is fun nobody ever told us anything when the complete board was programming in VW. And nobody told us anything when the complete board
was using Squeak. Strange no. And ESUG even manage money for the squeak foundation.

But you are welcome. Do you not worry, you are damaging ESUG and this is great. You are an hero.

Keep going. Thanks for all these positive energy.

Stef

On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Steven Kelly wrote:

> Since I didn't really see an answer to Michael Haupt's question, about what is the main Smalltalk dialect of the board members, I did a quick Google on their home pages, looking there or on CVs for which Smalltalk is mentioned. Obviously this is not an accurate method, and I'd much rather the board members answered the question  - please, please don't get annoyed because Google says this, just tell us what the real situation is. But for what little it's worth:
>
>> here are the members of the ESUG's board:
>>
>> President: Stéphane Ducasse  <- Pharo
>> Treasurer: Luc Fabresse      <- Pharo
>> Damien Cassou                <- Pharo
>> Jordi Delgado                <- Pharo
>> Marcus Denker                <- Squeak, Pharo
>> Alain Plantec                <- Pharo
>> Serge Stinckwich             <- none on home page, adding various Smalltalk names to the search terms shows several, with Pharo giving most hits
>
> If that's the impression a casual web browse gives, then even if it is totally and utterly incorrect, hopefully the board can understand why it seems reasonable to members who don't know all the details to mention potential conflicts of interest.
>
> So, what does it mean that if so many on the board have a Pharo link? First, it's brilliant that these people are active in doing something for a Smalltalk, as well as their great work in ESUG. Second, it's brilliant that Pharo people are active in wider promotion of Smalltalk in general. And third, it's going to be rather difficult to have a sensible vote on the board, and discussions on the members email list may be a little tense :).
>
> No worries from me, though. I think it's great what ESUG are doing, and great what Pharo is doing. Personally I'd rather not have ESUG sponsor Pharo, but that's just one person's opinion, and hopefully nobody gets upset about it.
>
> Go Smalltalk!
> Steve

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

thanks graham.
But you see I think that this all discussions killed my fun.
I'm getting sick of Smalltalk. Sad isn't.
And marcus probably too. I probably spent too much time pushing this community.

Stef

> [...]
> which flow into the broader Smalltalk community.
>
> I would like to publicly thank all volunteers on the ESUG board and the Pharo group for their work and efforts which have made and are making major contributions.
> Please don't be discouraged by the discussion on this thread. C++ has users, Java enthusiasts, and Smalltalk zealots! People are passionate and want to see good things -
> lets harness the positive energy.
>
> At a technical level, I have had experience over 20 years of working in various Smalltalks and attempting projects in C++, Java, Java Script and various other languages.
> Every time I come back to the comfort zone that is Smalltalk. It is simply more "right", better and consistent than the other environments. I have looked at Python, Ruby, Coffee Script,
> Objective C, Erlang.... etc. There is still nothing with the breadth of capabilities, purity, accessibility and openness (in the sense that an average developer can get at the internals and implementation of the language and libraries) of Smalltalk. Yes, it is old and there are some messy bits and frustrations. Alan Kay himself has said he is frustrated that there is not something better to replace Smalltalk. What I see in  the Pharo space over the last two years gives me hope that this could be it. There is a critical mass of innovation and community activity that is generating a very dynamic, capable system and eco-system. I would hate to see the very good work of many towards this dissipated when we are close to realisation of a really great environment. We should give every encouragement to those pushing things forward.
>
> Go, Stef, Damien, Luc, Marcus, et al....
>
> Best
> Graham
>
> Damien Cassou wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Michael Haupt <[hidden email]>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> How long are terms?
>>>

>> as far as I know, we don't have such a thing:
>>
>> - the board has no minimum/maximum size
>> - anybody willing to help seriously is invited to send an email to the
>> board to offer his free time. Then we ask the community during the
>> conference if they accept this new board member.
>> - when somebody wants to quit to take back part of his free time, he
>> just does so (as Noury recently did after years and years of handling
>> ESUG's money, a job that requires a lot of effort and rigor). In this
>> case we ask all board members who is willing to take some more work to
>> replace the leaving member (and Luc accepted to do that, thank you
>> Luc).
>>
>> You are right, we should improve our communication and probably have a
>> dedicated web page, let me add that to my todo list :-).
>>

> <mcleod.vcf>_______________________________________________
> Esug-list mailing list

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

> Personally I'd like to see GST, VW, GemStone ... "people" on the board

Don't you think that we are not welcoming people from other dialects since years?
When we started to move esug the board was large but nobody was doing much: there was ***NO*** promotion actions.
So now people should show their real willingness to act.

Stef

> It would make ESUG's broad intentions more obvious. I'd
> also love to be able to contribute more directly myself, which I can't
> at this time.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

>> If there's a conflict, can someone tell me, what will be direct
>> personal benefit(s) for ESUG board members if they will decide to
>> sponsor Pharo?
>
> Because we are quite "opiniated" community it is clear what is a
> personal benefit in that case :) Money is not the only thing someone can
> benefit from…

are you serious?
Do you know that in the board nearly none of us earn one euros based on Smalltalk work?

> What counts is how evenly ESUG is spreading its sponsorship around
> Smalltalk projects.  Because if ESUG sponsor Pharo, it can and it is
> already sponsoring others too. So, is there one who asked for ESUG
> sponsorship and was denied?

No but even the board has the right to not accept a sponsoring.

> Let me ask directly (I'm a direct man, as those who know me, know very
> well :) Is Squeak community asked for ESUG sponsorship recently?

No.
Then can I ask you a question? Who managed the money of the squeak foundation during 4 years?
ESUG but probably people forgot.

What is the point you want to make?

> Best regards
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

> Hi guys,
>
> One concrete proposal: let the ESUG board write a short report after
> every meeting and decision like sponsoring some project. Like Squeak
> board is doing regularly: http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/.

we do not work with regular meetings talking. We take decision voting over emails.
And frnakly I do not have the time to write report. I'm not payed for that.

And the results of our decisions are presented at each ESUG.
Take the ESUG presentation of each last years and you will see the summary of our actions.

> I'm pretty sure with such simple act most of suspicions expressed in
> this thread will vanish immediately.

Don't worry I do not think that I will stay in the board because I'm fed up
with such kind of emails.

On Jul 5, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 5 July 2012 11:42, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think there's a misunderstanding about what "conflict of interest" means. It doesn't mean that person is bad. It doesn't mean they are abusing their power. It doesn't mean they would get money through it. All it means is that they have an interest in the matter at hand, in addition to their role on the board.
>>
>> In academic circles, often you can't review a paper if you have been a co-author with one of its authors in the last N years. That's a similar kind of thing - nobody's saying that because of that, you'd accept the paper, or would be incapable of being objective, or the paper's authors would pay you(!). It's just agreed that it's better if you don't review it.
>>

> You miss an important detail: an academic circles is a competitive
> environment, and that's why it is completely reasonable to have such
> rules and watch for potential conflict(s) , because most of those
> rules were developed by taking competition in mind.
>
> ESUG, in contrast, does not operates in competitive environment, and
> based solely on the good will and enthusiasm of the people.
> So i actually wondering why we blindly applying the principles from
> competitive environment to something which is not?

:)
Thanks igor you are so refreshing….

>> One of the reasons why people with "conflicts of interest" don't get to vote or take part in the discussion, is that people with an extra interest are likely to get annoyed with the discussion. That's bad for the community - those people may be demotivated, and the rest may feel less trust in their board.
>>

> Every decision made will divide people on those who fine with it and
> those who not.. You cannot make everyone happy. This is fact of
> reality :)
> The only way how to not make new enemies is to not do anything..

Yes this is what we should have probably do over the years.

>> In any case, as far as I understand it, the ESUG board makes decisions about sponsorship - not the ESUG membership. They've heard our opinions, both for and against, and they can go ahead and make their decision. I for one will support them, whatever they decide. Not because as individuals they've done so much for Smalltalk, for so little reward, but because they're smart people who we've trusted to make ESUG decisions on our behalf.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Steve

what argument! you could find better.
We sponsored students from HPI do attend the talks of eliot, we payed eliot trips and we did not asked them if they were using Squeak or Pharo.

> Secondly, the membership in Pharo is perpetual; if some other project raises in popularity there will *still* 100% of the money be going to Pharo. For eternity. That's just as unfair.

ESUG can decide to stop anytime. So your augment is just for the sake of argumenting. Well done. But not recevable.

> There is nothing wrong with sponsoring Pharo projects by ESUG. What's wrong is giving the money, which would otherwise be spent in some relation to the popularity of each dialect, to one dialect only.

Fun you never complained when Squeake.v. promoting etoy was sponsored, nor when most of the summer talk projects were done in Squeak.
You did not complained when ESUG payed John mcIntosh to clean the mac squeak vm. Of course it was helping pharo too. For ESUG it was pushing the Smalltalk community.

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

sorry andreas but apparently you do not know what is to take the risk to organize a conference and get broken
Now it happens with ESUG certain years and

>> I would agree with you if ESUG was spending 100% of the money it has.

I don't. Because it would kill ESUG.

>> Sponsoring Pharo won't affect other potential sponsoring (unless we
>> get 5 times more sponsoring requests than last year in which case we
>> might not positively answer to all of them). I invite all
>> representatives of other dialects to send the board sponsoring
>> requests. But we can't wait for all dialects to ask for money before
>> spending part of it.
>
> Which is fine. And perhaps there is a really simple answer then: First, sponsor all the projects that apply to ESUG. If, at the end of year, there is money left, donate it based on the relative distribution of projects over the year.

No we did not work like that and we will not work like that.
People send their requests and we evaluate the impact for the community.

> So for example:
>
> ESUG budget: 15k
> Projects:
> 5 Pharo projects x 1k = 5k
> 2 Squeak projects x 1k = 2k
> 1 GST project x 2k = 2k
> 2 high profile papers x 500 = 1k
>

> Squeak e.V. is not about developing Squeak as such you can't compare it membership in the Pharo consortium (it would be more like sponsoring a book or so which ESUG certainly does). As for the Squeak VM, first of all I have no clue who got sponsored by ESUG. Probably John Macintosh because I know neither me, nor Ian, nor Eliot, nor David, nor Dan, nor John ever got any support from ESUG.

It was officially announced by john

> Secondly, (and I'm guessing here since I really don't know who got sponsored for what) I would think that the scope was probably rather specific, i.e., support for this or that Mac feature or somesuch, rather than "oh, just do some Squeak VM development we don't care what it is" which is the style of support for the Pharo consortium. I think sponsoring specific projects is good, it's handing out money without specific goals and targets that I don't like.

I will not continue this nice discussion because you like too much to twist our arms.

Bye

>   - Andreas

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Steven

I would be really curious to see if cincom wants this kind of press and marketing. It would be really funny.
VisualWorks the Smalltalk flagship sponsored by a free association to develop better product.
I'm not sure that it will make laugh a lot of people but at least I would laugh a lot.

Stef

On Jul 5, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Steven Kelly wrote:

> Maarten Mostert wrote:
>>> And except from the difficulty of who to give the money
>>> to in the case of VW,
>>
>> The case for VW is easy you should give it in person to Holger
>> Kleinsorgen for having written the Windows 7 Look and feel !!
>
> Great idea!
>
> I hadn't been aware of the 100-150€ that ESUG gives out for each research paper or article published on Smalltalk, or about a product made with Smalltalk (http://esug.org/wiki/pier/Promotion, YourArticle, YourPublication). Another category in a similar vein might be YourCode, for things like Holger's Windows 7 Look and Feel. That would be different from YourProject, where you apply for the money beforehand, and different from the Innovation Technology Awards, in that YourCode would be for things that are useful to a large number of Smalltalkers - a framework or similar rather than a complete product.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

I propose that we/you talk at ESUG about this point.
BTW

here are the old list of actions done by ESUG.

        http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Promotion/PastActions

We should refresh it because we have done much more since then.
Like lectures in the temple of the type systems: university of Turino ;D - it was fun.

Stef

On Jul 4, 2012, at 5:01 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> The ESUG board currently considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium
> (see http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2012-June/066881.html).
> We believe that Pharo is important for the Smalltalk ecosystem.
>
> Note that ESUG is promoting Smalltalk in general and this action is in
> the same vein as previous actions such as sponsoring local Smalltalk
> groups (FAST, Catalan, Russian, …), Smalltalk dialects
> (SqueakFoundation, etoy), development projects (Mars, DBXTalk, DrGeo
> II, SqueakVirtual Machine cleaning), and books (Seaside and GNU book).
>
> Before deciding, the board would like to gather feedback from the
> community. We want to be clear that there is a strict distinction
> between ESUG and Pharo (both consortium and association) even if some
> people are involved in both.
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Stéphane Ducasse
BTW since people are reading this nice thread I would like to take the advantage to get the following message:

ESUG would like to get some lectures done in Afrika. If you happened to know good university that would be interested
we would like to sponsor a lecture.

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

johnmci
As I see my name bantered about just a few too many times now, allow me to comment on this tomorrow as it does directly affect me. Since I'm about to start a 7 hour plane trip I don't have the time to give a proper comment right now.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 5, 2012, at 2:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> As for the Squeak VM, first of all I have no clue who got sponsored by ESUG. Probably John Macintosh because I know neither me, nor Ian, nor Eliot, nor David, nor Dan, nor John ever got any support from ESUG.
>
> It was officially announced by john

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Andreas.Raab

>> Sponsoring Pharo won't affect other potential sponsoring (unless we
>> get 5 times more sponsoring requests than last year in which case we
>> might not positively answer to all of them). I invite all
>> representatives of other dialects to send the board sponsoring
>> requests. But we can't wait for all dialects to ask for money before
>> spending part of it.
>
> Which is fine. And perhaps there is a really simple answer then: First, sponsor all the projects that apply to ESUG. If, at the end of year, there is money left, donate it based on the relative distribution of projects over the year.

No we did not work like that and we will not work like that.
People send their requests and we evaluate the impact for the community.

But how does this statement go together with you proposing to send 4000EUR a year to Pharo automatically and without anyone applying for it? Where is the difference to what I just proposed? It seems to me that you've just said that the very proposal you have been making is not "how we did work and we will not work like that". And that's quite all right with me. I'm all right with leaving the status quo, sponsoring specific projects after they make their requests, and not have automated lump sum contributions. But IF ESUG wants to make such contributions I expect them to be done fairly and transparently, and not to favor one project at the expense of other projects.

I will not continue this nice discussion because you like too much to twist our arms.

And you still haven't learned how to have an insightful discussion with someone who has a different opinion. Fortunately, Damien is less preoccupied.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Steven Kelly
Hi Stef,

You seem angry. Let's try to keep things civil and calm, even if we have different opinions.

> This is fun nobody ever told us anything when the complete board was
> programming in VW. And nobody told us anything when the complete board
> was using Squeak. Strange no. And ESUG even manage money for the squeak
> foundation.

I think in some cases the reason is simply that we didn't know, or we weren't asked. If VW is the flagship Smalltalk as you said, it's not that surprising if sometimes the board has lots of VW users. But if the board was led by a Cincom manager, had top figures from within Cincom, and suggested paying 2000 EUR per year to Cincom "to foster business around VW and to promote VW", I think you would have some questions.

>> The case for VW is easy you should give it in person to Holger
>> Kleinsorgen for having written the Windows 7 Look and feel !!
>
> I would be really curious to see if cincom wants this kind of press
> and marketing. It would be really funny.
> VisualWorks the Smalltalk flagship sponsored by a free association
> to develop better product. I'm not sure that it will make laugh
> a lot of people but at least I would laugh a lot.

Holger isn't a Cincom employee. His code is released for free to the Smalltalk community. Why would it be ridiculous to give a VW user 100-150€ once? That sounds like just the kind of project that ESUG has funded in the past.

Personally I'm happiest with ESUG sponsorship going to individual Smalltalk users of any dialect, for projects that benefit other Smalltalkers. I'm happy to consider a project on the core of any particular dialect on its merits. But a large, repeating, non-earmarked sum of money to one dialect is something I am unlikely to support.

Please, for the sake of both ESUG and Pharo, talk to the INRIA lawyers about this. IANAL, but I think you'd be risking your reputation and that of ESUG and Pharo, by being one of 3 Pharo board members, asking for money no strings attached, and then agreeing to that as the President of ESUG.

If the lawyers are happy and the board decides to do this, that's fine by me, I just want to make sure.

All the best,
Steve

> On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Steven Kelly wrote:
>
> > Since I didn't really see an answer to Michael Haupt's question,
> about what is the main Smalltalk dialect of the board members, I did a
> quick Google on their home pages, looking there or on CVs for which
> Smalltalk is mentioned. Obviously this is not an accurate method, and
> I'd much rather the board members answered the question  - please,
> please don't get annoyed because Google says this, just tell us what
> the real situation is. But for what little it's worth:
> >
> >> here are the members of the ESUG's board:
> >>
> >> President: Stéphane Ducasse  <- Pharo
> >> Treasurer: Luc Fabresse      <- Pharo
> >> Damien Cassou                <- Pharo
> >> Jordi Delgado                <- Pharo
> >> Marcus Denker                <- Squeak, Pharo
> >> Alain Plantec                <- Pharo
> >> Serge Stinckwich             <- none on home page, adding various
> Smalltalk names to the search terms shows several, with Pharo giving
> most hits
> >
> > If that's the impression a casual web browse gives, then even if it
> is totally and utterly incorrect, hopefully the board can understand
> why it seems reasonable to members who don't know all the details to
> mention potential conflicts of interest.
> >
> > So, what does it mean that if so many on the board have a Pharo link?
> First, it's brilliant that these people are active in doing something
> for a Smalltalk, as well as their great work in ESUG. Second, it's
> brilliant that Pharo people are active in wider promotion of Smalltalk
> in general. And third, it's going to be rather difficult to have a
> sensible vote on the board, and discussions on the members email list
> may be a little tense :).
> >
> > No worries from me, though. I think it's great what ESUG are doing,
> and great what Pharo is doing. Personally I'd rather not have ESUG
> sponsor Pharo, but that's just one person's opinion, and hopefully
> nobody gets upset about it.
> >
> > Go Smalltalk!
> > Steve

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Maarten Mostert-2

Steve,

I do not agree with you on all points. The fact that they (Stef) managed to convince INRIA to keep on spending about 200k€ year on Smalltalk must take them a huge effort. So the frustration is very much understandable. Critisizing is easy selling ideas however is about the most difficult thing to do, we all know that !

If you are looking for problems you invite the juridical guys we all know that too !! (and for 3000€  stop stop stop !!)

Besides maybe leaving my app as a free dwonload I do absolutely nothing for the community so what can I do else then just admire these guys !!!

Even for us as VW users the Pharo principles are really cool and I only hope they find their way to our phones and desktops the sooner the better !

Regards,

@+Maarten,

> [...]

> > mention potential conflicts of interest.
> > >
> > > So, what does it mean that if so many on the board have a Pharo link?
> > First, it's brilliant that these people are active in doing something
> > for a Smalltalk, as well as their great work in ESUG. Second, it's
> > brilliant that Pharo people are active in wider promotion of Smalltalk
> > in general. And third, it's going to be rather difficult to have a
> > sensible vote on the board, and discussions on the members email list
> > may be a little tense :).
> > >
> > > No worries from me, though. I think it's great what ESUG are doing,
> > and great what Pharo is doing. Personally I'd rather not have ESUG
> > sponsor Pharo, but that's just one person's opinion, and hopefully
> > nobody gets upset about it.
> > >
> > > Go Smalltalk!
> > > Steve

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Reza Razavi
At 10:28 06/07/2012, Maarten MOSTERT wrote:
Critisizing is easy

Maarten,

The valuable contributions of Steve and others to the issue raised by Damien on behalf of the ESUG board are not intended to criticize anybody; this is at least least my understanding, and I don't think I'm mistaken. They (simply) try to explain the rules that govern such situations.

For example, to "talk to the INRIA lawyers about this" appears really essential, specifically given the role of this institution in both Pharo Consortium and also as the employer of several Pharo contributors, who also play major roles in ESUG.

This looks like technical and complex enough situation to refer to experts in that area (i.e. lawyers); isn't it?

Best,
Reza
(Smalltalker and ESUG member since 1992)
http://linkedin.com/in/razavi
http://aas-platform.com
http://rezarazavi.com

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

NiallRoss
Dear Reza,

Reza Razavi wrote:

> At 10:28 06/07/2012, Maarten MOSTERT wrote:
>
>> Critisizing is easy
>

> Maarten,
>
> The valuable contributions of Steve and others to the issue raised by
> Damien on behalf of the ESUG board are not intended to criticize
> anybody; this is at least least my understanding, and I don't think
> I'm mistaken. They (simply) try to explain the rules that govern such
> situations.

I agree that the contributions by Steve Kelly have been courteous,
well-phrased, and a very legitimate offer of his opinion on the question
sensibly raised by Damien.

Steve himself has stressed that the ESUG board, not the membership, make
decisions.  The board, having asked for input, can consider what has
been offered, and in due course decide whether they agree or disagree
with any particular point.

If disagreement has to be expressed, SteveK's style offers an example of
how to express contrary ideas with courtesy.

> For example, *to "talk to the INRIA lawyers about this" appears really
> essential, specifically given the role of this institution in both
> Pharo Consortium and also as the employer of several Pharo
> contributors, who also play major roles in ESUG*.

On this particular point, my instinct is not to involve lawyers more
than needed, lest mares' nests be created.  Stephane knows INRIA, ESUG
and what legal discussions have already taken place.  If he feels no
more is needed, my instinct would agree.

(I don't _know_ anything of course - the opinion is offered FWIW.)

             Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

> This looks like technical and complex enough situation to refer to
> experts in that area (i.e. lawyers); isn't it?
>
> Best,
> Reza
> (Smalltalker and ESUG member since 1992)
> http://linkedin.com/in/razavi
> http://aas-platform.com
> <http://aas-platform.com/> http://rezarazavi.com <http://rezarazavi.com/>

Fwd: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Igor Stasenko
Let's make it clear..

A project X, which is a smalltalk-based project bootstrapping a consortium and
inviting all organizations/individuals who want to participate.

Question 1: what is a logical reaction from ESUG should be, which
mission is to support and popularize smalltalk?

Question 2: if you replace X with 'Pharo', how this changing the situation?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

NiallRoss
Dear Andreas,

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>sorry andreas but apparently you do not know what is to take the risk to organize a conference and get broken
>Now it happens with ESUG certain years and
>

>>>I would agree with you if ESUG was spending 100% of the money it has.

I agree with Stephane.

Over a period of many years, I believe ESUG does spend "all the money it
has", in that any money ESUG gets is sooner or later spent on Smalltalk.

In a single year, ESUG must budget to ensure the conference succeeds.

Last year, I got a special insight ( :-) ) into how that means
estimating and hoping.

Especially at this time of year, there is both hope and some stress for
those who run ESUG.

For the good of Smalltalk, failure is not an option!  That means the
year's budget plan must ensure it is not - and at the same time, deliver
great value to all who come to ESUG.

So I believe in a given year, ESUG should not plan to spend 100% of all
the money it hopes to raise that year.

                Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

jarober
Personally, I'd like to thank the ESUG board in general, and Stef in particular, for all of the work they put into promoting Smalltalk.  I have a pretty good idea as to how thankless a job that often is, and I for one appreciate all of their efforts!

On Jul 5, 2012, at 2:31 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks a lot steven for pissing on us.
> This is fun nobody ever told us anything when the complete board was programming in VW. And nobody told us anything when the complete board
> was using Squeak. Strange no. And ESUG even manage money for the squeak foundation.
>
> But you are welcome. Do you not worry, you are damaging ESUG and this is great. You are an hero.
>
> Keep going. Thanks for all these positive energy.
>
> Stef
>

> On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Steven Kelly wrote:
>
>> Since I didn't really see an answer to Michael Haupt's question, about what is the main Smalltalk dialect of the board members, I did a quick Google on their home pages, looking there or on CVs for which Smalltalk is mentioned. Obviously this is not an accurate method, and I'd much rather the board members answered the question  - please, please don't get annoyed because Google says this, just tell us what the real situation is. But for what little it's worth:
>>
>>> here are the members of the ESUG's board:
>>>
>>> President: Stéphane Ducasse  <- Pharo
>>> Treasurer: Luc Fabresse      <- Pharo
>>> Damien Cassou                <- Pharo
>>> Jordi Delgado                <- Pharo
>>> Marcus Denker                <- Squeak, Pharo
>>> Alain Plantec                <- Pharo
>>> Serge Stinckwich             <- none on home page, adding various Smalltalk names to the search terms shows several, with Pharo giving most hits
>>
>> If that's the impression a casual web browse gives, then even if it is totally and utterly incorrect, hopefully the board can understand why it seems reasonable to members who don't know all the details to mention potential conflicts of interest.
>>
>> So, what does it mean that if so many on the board have a Pharo link? First, it's brilliant that these people are active in doing something for a Smalltalk, as well as their great work in ESUG. Second, it's brilliant that Pharo people are active in wider promotion of Smalltalk in general. And third, it's going to be rather difficult to have a sensible vote on the board, and discussions on the members email list may be a little tense :).
>>
>> No worries from me, though. I think it's great what ESUG are doing, and great what Pharo is doing. Personally I'd rather not have ESUG sponsor Pharo, but that's just one person's opinion, and hopefully nobody gets upset about it.
>>
>> Go Smalltalk!
>> Steve

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com