ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

12345

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Thorsten Seitz
Am 06.07.2012 um 16:36 schrieb James Robertson:

> Personally, I'd like to thank the ESUG board in general, and Stef in particular, for all of the work they put into promoting Smalltalk.  I have a pretty good idea as to how thankless a job that often is, and I for one appreciate all of their efforts!

Well said and I wholeheartedly agree!

-Thorsten

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Reza Razavi
At 15:39 06/07/2012, Niall Ross wrote:
what legal discussions have already taken place.

Dear Niall,

Thanks for your insightful comments!

Issues related to Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) are in general complex. They are raised when institutions invest in developing a piece of software, and depend on their business model. They typically determine who is legally authorized to make decisions, e.g. about licensing policy, and exploit the product(s), etc. In these specific case, it would also involve deciding whether or not to accept such donations.

If these questions have been discussed and the Community is aware of the underlying policies (I personally didn't followed these topics in details), that's fine. Otherwise, IMHO, it would make sense to address them as soon as possible in a systematic way.

Cheers,
Reza

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

EstebanLM
That has been addressed long time ago (and is no matter of ESUG, but Pharo).

Pharo is MIT.
All the code we push into Pharo has to be MIT.
The fact that INRIA pays my salary doesn't change that at all.

Esteban

On Jul 6, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Reza Razavi wrote:

[...]

Re: Fwd: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Andreas.Raab

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 15:57:28 +0200
Von: Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
An: ESUG Mailing list <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [Esug-list] Fwd: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Let's make it clear..

A project X, which is a smalltalk-based project bootstrapping a consortium and
inviting all organizations/individuals who want to participate.

Question 1: what is a logical reaction from ESUG should be, which
mission is to support and popularize smalltalk?

My understanding of the situation is that the question isn't "if", the question is "how". I haven't seen anyone saying anything about ESUG not supporting Pharo. The question that was asked is: "Should ESUG join the Pharo consortium and pay a perpetual fee of EUR XXXX per year"?

Question 2: if you replace X with 'Pharo', how this changing the situation?

Not at all. It's still about the "how", not the "if".

Cheers,
  - Andreas

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Fwd: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Igor Stasenko
On 6 July 2012 18:45, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 15:57:28 +0200
> Von: Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
> An: ESUG Mailing list <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [Esug-list] Fwd: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium
>
> Let's make it clear..
>
> A project X, which is a smalltalk-based project bootstrapping a consortium
> and
> inviting all organizations/individuals who want to participate.
>
> Question 1: what is a logical reaction from ESUG should be, which
> mission is to support and popularize smalltalk?
>

> My understanding of the situation is that the question isn't "if", the
> question is "how". I haven't seen anyone saying anything about ESUG not
> supporting Pharo. The question that was asked is: "Should ESUG join the
> Pharo consortium and pay a perpetual fee of EUR XXXX per year"?

To my thinking ESUG should participate at bootstrapping stage (which
happens right now) to help giving it enough momentum.
And this is right and absolutely in spirit of ESUG mission.

Sponsoring consortium by ESUG on a perpetual basis, makes little
sense, as to me,
because if we figure that it doesn't flies, no help from ESUG alone
could make it fly.. and spending
money on it would be just a waste.

I don't know, of course, what ESUG board members thinking about it..
it is just my guess.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Dave Mason

On 2012-Jul-6, at 10:48 , Thorsten Seitz wrote:

> Am 06.07.2012 um 16:36 schrieb James Robertson:
>
>> Personally, I'd like to thank the ESUG board in general, and Stef in particular, for all of the work they put into promoting Smalltalk.  I have a pretty good idea as to how thankless a job that often is, and I for one appreciate all of their efforts!
>
> Well said and I wholeheartedly agree!

Me too!

../Dave

At 18:15 06/07/2012, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>All the code we push into Pharo has to be MIT.

That's fine. But, which entity can decide legally about the licensing policy?
Is that the Pharo Community or any other legal entity investing in Pharo?

>The fact that INRIA pays my salary doesn't change that at all.

If this is explicitly written in your work contract, i.e. legally
recognized by their lawyers, that's fine. Otherwise, I would ask.

Regards,

On 2012-Jul-6, at 13:30 , Igor Stasenko wrote:

> To my thinking ESUG should participate at bootstrapping stage (which
> happens right now) to help giving it enough momentum.
> And this is right and absolutely in spirit of ESUG mission.
>
> Sponsoring consortium by ESUG on a perpetual basis, makes little
> sense, as to me,
> because if we figure that it doesn't flies, no help from ESUG alone
> could make it fly.. and spending
> money on it would be just a waste.

That certainly makes sense to me.  So perhaps a 1 or 2 year commitment.  Not at the top level, but at a level that shows support.

../Dave

jb

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

jb
Mee too!

Johannes
Am 06.07.2012 um 19:32 schrieb Dave Mason:

> On 2012-Jul-6, at 10:48 , Thorsten Seitz wrote:
>
>> Am 06.07.2012 um 16:36 schrieb James Robertson:
>>
>>> Personally, I'd like to thank the ESUG board in general, and Stef in particular, for all of the work they put into promoting Smalltalk.  I have a pretty good idea as to how thankless a job that often is, and I for one appreciate all of their efforts!
>>
>> Well said and I wholeheartedly agree!
>
> Me too!
>
> ../Dave

________________________________

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Elmshorn, HRB 1682

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

NiallRoss
Dear Dave, Thorsten, James et al,

Dave Mason wrote:

>On 2012-Jul-6, at 10:48 , Thorsten Seitz wrote:
>

>>Am 06.07.2012 um 16:36 schrieb James Robertson:
>>

>>>Personally, I'd like to thank the ESUG board in general, and Stef in particular, for all of the work they put into promoting Smalltalk.  I have a pretty good idea as to how thankless a job that often is, and I for one appreciate all of their efforts!
>>>

>>Well said and I wholeheartedly agree!
>>

>Me too!
>
>../Dave

and me.  Indeed, in my earlier email, where I wrote

 > Especially at this time of year, there is both hope
 > and some stress for those who run ESUG.

I trust everyone appreciated that the word 'some' was an example of
English understatement. :-)  As James said, it is a job that, if not
literally 'thankless' - this subthread offers some thanks - is certainly
little thanked relative to the work involved.  Several people said nice
things to me about last year's conference, but Stef and the others get
this every year;  I only had to do it once.

             Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Geert Claes
Administrator
jarober wrote
Personally, I'd like to thank the ESUG board in general, and Stef in particular, for all of the work they put into promoting Smalltalk.  I have a pretty good idea as to how thankless a job that often is, and I for one appreciate all of their efforts!
+1 well said James!

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Simply thanks.

And not counting the amount of hours organizing ESUG (I even payed all the registrations to the conferences I organized)!!!!
Silly me.

Stef

> [...]
> > >
> > > I would be really curious to see if cincom wants this kind of press
> > > and marketing. It would be really funny.
> > > VisualWorks the Smalltalk flagship sponsored by a free association
> > > to develop better product. I'm not sure that it will make laugh
> > > a lot of people but at least I would laugh a lot.
> >
> > Holger isn't a Cincom employee. His code is released for free to the Smalltalk community. Why would it be ridiculous to give a VW user 100-150€ once? That sounds like just the kind of project that ESUG has funded in the past.
> >
> > Personally I'm happiest with ESUG sponsorship going to individual Smalltalk users of any dialect, for projects that benefit other Smalltalkers. I'm happy to consider a project on the core of any particular dialect on its merits. But a large, repeating, non-earmarked sum of money to one dialect is something I am unlikely to support.
> >
> > Please, for the sake of both ESUG and Pharo, talk to the INRIA lawyers about this. IANAL, but I think you'd be risking your reputation and that of ESUG and Pharo, by being one of 3 Pharo board members, asking for money no strings attached, and then agreeing to that as the President of ESUG.
> >
> > If the lawyers are happy and the board decides to do this, that's fine by me, I just want to make sure.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Steve

> > > about what is the main Smalltalk dialect of the board members, I did a
> > > quick Google on their home pages, looking there or on CVs for which
> > > Smalltalk is mentioned. Obviously this is not an accurate method, and
> > > I'd much rather the board members answered the question - please,
> > > please don't get annoyed because Google says this, just tell us what
> > > the real situation is. But for what little it's worth:

> > > most hits

> > > is totally and utterly incorrect, hopefully the board can understand
> > > why it seems reasonable to members who don't know all the details to
> > > mention potential conflicts of interest.

> > > First, it's brilliant that these people are active in doing something
> > > for a Smalltalk, as well as their great work in ESUG. Second, it's
> > > brilliant that Pharo people are active in wider promotion of Smalltalk
> > > in general. And third, it's going to be rather difficult to have a
> > > sensible vote on the board, and discussions on the members email list
> > > may be a little tense :).

> > > and great what Pharo is doing. Personally I'd rather not have ESUG
> > > sponsor Pharo, but that's just one person's opinion, and hopefully
> > > nobody gets upset about it.

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Johan Brichau-2
Dear all,

I think that bootstrapping the Pharo consortium is a legitimate target for ESUG sponsoring.
The goals is to create a sustainable Smalltalk principally sponsored by PME industry. In that way, Pharo is the direct harvester of the funds but Smalltalk benefits in general if this project succeeds.

I also think the contribution should be revised yearly (this goes without saying) and it should be in proportion to the amount of funding that is given/available to other projects.
Given the history of ESUG (and the current board in particular), I see no reason to doubt the honest intentions. The opening of this question on the mailinglist is a testament to that.

Best regards
Johan Brichau

disclaimer: I am concerned in the sense that my company will contribute to the consortium as well. I use Pharo and am the local organizer for the ESUG conference this year. This should make my 'conflict of interest' clear as well ;-)

On 05 Jul 2012, at 15:43, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Andreas
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Here is how it is unfair: If I understand the basic process of selecting and
>> supporting projects by ESUG, then the distribution of projects supported by
>> ESUG is roughly equivalent to the popularity of the various communities.
>> This seems entirely fair and reasonable to me, and ESUG is doing a good job
>> with the various projects it supports.
>>
>> However, once ESUG starts giving chunks of money to particular dialects
>> directly, then first of all that money is no longer spent across the various
>> dialects.
>

> I would agree with you if ESUG was spending 100% of the money it has.
> Sponsoring Pharo won't affect other potential sponsoring (unless we
> get 5 times more sponsoring requests than last year in which case we
> might not positively answer to all of them). I invite all
> representatives of other dialects to send the board sponsoring
> requests. But we can't wait for all dialects to ask for money before
> spending part of it.
>

>> So for an approx. 3000 EUR Pharo membership the board could
>> sponsor 20 students with 150 EUR each. And while it may be that 15 of those
>> are indeed Pharo related, there is still sponsorshop done for the remaining
>> 5 which would fall under the table if the money went directly to Pharo.
>> That's seems obviously unfair.
>

> Please encourage students around you to submit sponsoring requests. We
> will be really happy to support them.
>

>> Secondly, the membership in Pharo is perpetual; if some other project raises
>> in popularity there will *still* 100% of the money be going to Pharo. For
>> eternity. That's just as unfair.
>

> I agree with you, a permanent sponsorship is probably not the best
> idea and we should discuss the options. Still, we are not talking
> about 100% of the money.
>

>> There is nothing wrong with sponsoring Pharo projects by ESUG. What's wrong
>> is giving the money, which would otherwise be spent in some relation to the
>> popularity of each dialect, to one dialect only.
>

> In the past, ESUG supported Squeak e.V. and the Squeak VM. What is the
> difference?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

jtuchel
Stef,

I partly understand your frustration about this dsicussion. But take a
step back: how many people said they do not want ESUG to help sponsor
the Pharo consortium? If I remember correctly, nobody said it's
completely unacceptable.

Most commenters either said they fully support the idea, some expressed
doubts about the fact that ESUG joining the Pharo Consortium could water
lines that should better be sharp, just to avoid possible problems for
either ESUG or the community. People who expressed their worries came up
with real arguments, maybe not always expressed in a clear or "neutral"
way. I can only see one or two comments which either say "I'd rather not
want ESUG to do that" or strictly are negative about the idea.

So I am not sure I see the reason why you and Marcus are so upset about
this thread and the fact that doubts/worries were expressed. The way you
react to counter-arguments probably keeps some people from joining this
thread, most of which might even support the suggested idea per se.

To me the essence of the thread so far is that most people like the idea
of ESUG supporting the Pharo Consortium, but some have doubts whether
Membership would be better than sponsorship. And the arguments that were
brought up make sense.

So we should possibly rather use this thread to find out what ESUG can
do to supprt the evolution of Pharo and how it should best do it.

I think it already became obvious that it's neither about the amount of
4K p.a. nor the question if ESUG would lose neutrality (is it even
possible?), but only about how to do it without risking that it seems as
if ESUG is misused for Pharo's advantage.

Maybe all people really ask for is that ESUG makes it more transparent
what it does with money that it uses to sponsor. At least that is my
feeling when I skim through some of the comments. And it's probably
understandable: would 4000 Euros be more like 100% of the money ESUG
donates to Smalltalk efforts (no matter if lectures, books, student
volunteers, project sponsorship, whatever) or is it closer to 30%. What
is the plan for years in which the conference is a financial desaster,
would ESUG still give 4K to Pharo and nothing to anybody else?

I think between the lines people are only asking questions, not accusing
you or anybody else of corruption, bad intentions or anything like that.
All they want to make sure is that the good work that has been done will
continue and bare fruit.

Does it make us a bad community? I don't think so.
We are a caring community, and some of us do really invest time and
emotion into Smalltalk, some by helping ESUG and/or Pharo directly, some
by doing something else.

Joachim

Am 12.07.12 08:27, schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Personally I'm happiest with ESUG sponsorship going to individual Smalltalk users of any dialect, for projects that benefit other Smalltalkers. I'm happy to consider a project on the core of any particular dialect on its merits. But a large, repeating, non-earmarked sum of money to one dialect is something I am unlikely to support.
>>>
>>> Please, for the sake of both ESUG and Pharo, talk to the INRIA lawyers about this. IANAL, but I think you'd be risking your reputation and that of ESUG and Pharo, by being one of 3 Pharo board members, asking for money no strings attached, and then agreeing to that as the President of ESUG.
>>>
>>> If the lawyers are happy and the board decides to do this, that's fine by me, I just want to make sure.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Steve

Re: ESUG considers sponsoring the Pharo Consortium

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok I'm resting now on holidays but I understand your point.
Now to reply to your question: have a look at the welcome slide of last year esug there are pie chart about where esug is spending money and
the percentage it represents. 4K is less than two Summer Projects - where often we do not have real output. :)

Our goal is to make sure that we can always take the risk not to break even and that we can continue to organize ESUG.
Some years we make money like at Brest, Barcelona and sometimes we lose money like at Amsterdam - even if the conference was great.
We have no umbrella or insurance so we are picky about our actions but at the same time we want to get impact and
move the community.

Stef

PS: now I have a couple of questions of us:
                - what really exciting happened recently in our little computer world?
                        d3 the javascript framework?
                        luaJit?
                        Dart?
                        I do not count the crazy number of excellents JS or Ruby projects nor the Java one.

                - I see a couple but not much in our micro world: Amber, Pharo, Xtream, FS, Roassal, Athens, PetitParser, Seaside (now getting old)

                - Passion is cool but rationally why should somebody start a project in Smalltalk nowadays? when we can see the
                ecosystem of Java in terms of libraries (soon it will be the same with JS)? So as a little community how can we create
                a niche where wealth can bloom? I think that this is with such mindset that people should think about what
                ESUG is doing and what they could be doing, they are plenty of simple actions.

                Now the goal of Pharo is to create such a niche. ***We are not doing Pharo for the fun
                or the fame***, I would love not to have to do it, I would prefer to be able to use a nice cross platform smalltalk with
                amazingly well design libraries and the rest… but so far we had to do it, so we do it and we try to give it a real chance.

Stef

12345