EToys : Problem Saving & Executing Modified Script

EToys : Problem Saving & Executing Modified Script

Indrajith
Version Tested : Squeak 5.3 (Seems to happen in 5.2 also)

Problem: In the textual version of the script "show code textually" any
modification cannot be saved and executed.

Steps to reproduce.

1. Create any object like Sketch, Rectangle etc
2. Create an emptyScript
3. In the menu (top left button of the script window) click and choose "show
code textually"
4. Type some code like "self forward: 10" (without quotes of course!)
5. Try Ctrl-S to save the code. :( The orange dog ear don't go away,
indicating the script not saved
6. Try executing the script; still the script don't execute.

PS: The same scenario works on the etoys version 5 from squeakland.org.

<http://forum.world.st/file/t372264/steps_to_reproduce.jpg>

Re: EToys : Problem Saving & Executing Modified Script

K K Subbu
On 16/08/19 5:21 PM, Indrajith wrote:

> Steps to reproduce.
>
> 1. Create any object like Sketch, Rectangle etc
> 2. Create an emptyScript
> 3. In the menu (top left button of the script window) click and choose "show
> code textually"
> 4. Type some code like "self forward: 10" (without quotes of course!)
> 5. Try Ctrl-S to save the code. :( The orange dog ear don't go away,
> indicating the script not saved
> 6. Try executing the script; still the script don't execute.

I tried these steps in Squeak 5.3-18625 (Linux 64b) and don't see any
problem. Could you share more details about the specific image version,
platform and any additional packages loaded?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: EToys : Problem Saving & Executing Modified Script

Indrajith
Thank you for looking into it. I forgot to mention that I tried on Windows
10.
Any 5.3 or 5.2 Squeak has the same issue. I tried with
Squeak5.3alpha-18784-64bit-201810190412-Windows.zip

Re: EToys : Problem Saving & Executing Modified Script

Indrajith
I just tried the same scenario on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit. The
problem is seen on Linux also. So, it seems to me that there is something
different I am doing that it is happening on my side. I doubt whether the
etoys is started the same way or not. I start by invoking etoys from the
workspace with the following command.

ReleaseBuilderSqueakland
     intermediatePrepareForUsers.
    Preferences
     disable: #noviceMode;
     enable: #generalizedYellowButtonMenu;
     enable: #showAdvancedNavigatorButtons;
     disable: #eToyFriendly.
    TheWorldMainDockingBar showWorldMainDockingBar: true.

Please let me know if you are doing the same way or if different I am
interested to know how you invoke it. I will try it on my side and see.
Thanks.

On 17/08/19 5:11 PM, Indrajith wrote:
> Please let me know if you are doing the same way or if different I am
> interested to know how you invoke it. I will try it on my side and see.
> Thanks.

I didn't build a Etoys image from Squeak 5.3alpha. I tried the steps on
the stock Squeak 5.3alpha. The buttons will not have the right icons on
them. But that doesn't stop us from testing scripting code.

Squeak 5.3 is in alpha. So if you are trying to build and test Etoys
package, you may want to start with 5.2. See:

  https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1183
  https://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6601

HTH .. Subbu

Re: EToys : Problem Saving & Executing Modified Script

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

You found two separate issues. :-)

> 5. Try Ctrl-S to save the code. :( The orange dog ear don't go away, indicating the script not saved

In your Etoys startup script, a preference got activated so that Ctrl+S does not work but Alt+S will work.

I fixed that in Etoys-mt.349.

> 6. Try executing the script; still the script don't execute.

Yes, the step-wise execution needs a more user-friendly message, not a debugger. For text-based script's, click on the clock instead to execute the script, not the play-step button.

Karl Ramberg (kfr) fixed that issue in EToys-kfr.347, which I just merged into Trunk.

Best,
Marcel