Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

BrunoBB
Hi,

Following steps in:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/installation/installDevKitServerAndClient.md#example-script-to-install-both-server-and-client

I can not install the server, my steps:
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ git clone https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home.git
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ cd GsDevKit_home/
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ git checkout -b gsdevkit
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ export GS_HOME=/home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ sudo $GS_HOME/bin/installServerClient -c https devKit_329 tode1 3.2.9

The last step give the following error:
=================
   GsDevKit script: installServerClient -c https devKit_329 tode1 3.2.9
              path: /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/bin/installServerClient
=================
the GS_HOME environment variable needs to be defined

The strange thing is that:
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ printenv | grep GS
GS_HOME=/home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home

Also:
bruno@ubuntu:~/git/GsDevKit_home$ sudo -E sh -c 'echo $GS_HOME'
GS_HOME=/home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home

Is there anything that i'm doing wrong ?

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

BrunoBB
Hi all,

My fault:
$GS_HOME/bin/installServerClient -c https devKit_329 tode1 3.2.9

Working as expected now (without sudo).

The first time i tried in a root directory so i added the sudo, then i chaned to a normal user directory by i still executed  installServerClient with sudo. :( :(

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

GLASS mailing list
Okay, Yeah it's not really intended that you use root to install
GsDevKit_home and we don't recommend that you run GemStone as root
either ...

At the moment GsDevKit_home is pretty much single OS user, single
GemStone user (DataCurator) ...

Mariano and I will be working on addressing some of these issues in the
next couple of weeks (we plan on working together when I am in Buenos
Aires for Smalltalks) ...

I'm glad you've got things going.

Dale

On 10/23/15 7:42 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My fault:
> $GS_HOME/bin/installServerClient -c https devKit_329 tode1 3.2.9
>
> Working as expected now (without sudo).
>
> The first time i tried in a root directory so i added the sudo, then i
> chaned to a normal user directory by i still executed  installServerClient
> with sudo. :( :(
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Re: Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

BrunoBB
Dale,

Ok, thanks.

Now GemStone 3.2.9 is running in this new VM.

But i can not run tode client:
bruno@ubuntu:~$ /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/startClient

I get the following error:

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
  - check that /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-vm//vm-display-X11.so exists, or
  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
/home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-ui: line 11:  3787 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$DIR"/"pharo-vm/pharo" "$@"

It seems that there is a double "//vm-display-X11.so" in the composed string:
/home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-vm//vm-display-X11.so

Also if try to connect with Jade client i get (from windows):
"Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
Netldi 'devKit_329_ldi' on host 'ubuntu' reports the request '' failed:
Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022."

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

BrunoBB
Dale,

I forgot to mention that the netldi.log file does not have any error.

Regards,
Bruno

On 10/23/2015 10:16 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:

> Dale,
>
> Ok, thanks.
>
> Now GemStone 3.2.9 is running in this new VM.
>
> But i can not run tode client:
> bruno@ubuntu:~$ /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/startClient
>
> I get the following error:
>
> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>    - check that
> /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-vm//vm-display-X11.so
> exists, or
>    - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>    - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
> /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-ui: line 11:  3787
> Aborted                 (core dumped) "$DIR"/"pharo-vm/pharo" "$@"
>
> It seems that there is a double "//vm-display-X11.so" in the composed
> string:
> /home/bruno/git/GsDevKit_home/dev/clients/tode1/pharo-vm//vm-display-X11.so
Have you installed the 32 bit X11 client libraries on your ubuntu
server? If you are going to run the tode client on the ubunutu server
then at a minimum you need the 32bit X11 client libraries ... take a
look at $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs and the -X option for the
X11 libs needed ...

Where is your X server (desktop) located ...

You also have the option of installed a tODE client on your windows box
and then use netldi port forwarding ... the instructions should be in
the most recent docs for installing a client ... then you don't need any
clients running on the GemStone server box ...

> Also if try to connect with Jade client i get (from windows):
> "Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
> Netldi 'devKit_329_ldi' on host 'ubuntu' reports the request '' failed:
> Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022."

This sounds like you are not running Jade for GemStone 3.2.9 ..

Also you probably need to set the netlLDIPort field in the session
descirption (so that startNetldi will always use that port) and you need
to use that port to connect using Jade or the tODE client ... unless you
are using /etc/services

Re: Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

BrunoBB
Hi Dale,

After:
installOsPrereqs -X

I can run the client inside Ubuntu.

In
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/installation/configOSForSingleNode.md#configure-linux-desktop-for-both-client-and-server

There is not reference to execute: installOsPrereqs -X

Maybe should be added...

As for Jade i'm running an old Jade version so i have to upgrade Jade first.

Thanks for your help...

regards,
bruno

Re: Early Access: Installing Server and Client on a single node

GLASS mailing list
Okay ... I've made X11 32bit client an unconditional prereq ...  the doc
update will available in the next drop ..

Thanks,

Dale