Easing into things...

Frank Shearar-3
I just committed Tools-fbs.410 to trunk, my first ever direct commit.
It's trivial - a spelling correction in Workspace's class comment.

My question is this: after I commit, do I need to do anything further?
Or, what happens between committing something to trunk, and an update
being available?

frank

Re: Easing into things...

Igor Stasenko
On 2 June 2012 21:53, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just committed Tools-fbs.410 to trunk, my first ever direct commit.
> It's trivial - a spelling correction in Workspace's class comment.
>
> My question is this: after I commit, do I need to do anything further?

yes, you should pray that your commit won't break an image and won't
require a rollback :)

> Or, what happens between committing something to trunk, and an update
> being available?

nothing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Easing into things...

Frank Shearar-3
On 2 June 2012 23:23, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2 June 2012 21:53, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just committed Tools-fbs.410 to trunk, my first ever direct commit.
>> It's trivial - a spelling correction in Workspace's class comment.
>>
>> My question is this: after I commit, do I need to do anything further?
>
> yes, you should pray that your commit won't break an image and won't
> require a rollback :)

Oh, I knew _that_ part :).

>> Or, what happens between committing something to trunk, and an update
>> being available?
>>
> nothing.

Er, that's good, but also confusing. I guess "update" means "ask the
repo for the latest stuff, and that just downloads the mcds". I will
have to go read some code then, methinks.

Thanks!

frank

>> frank
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Easing into things...

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.06.2012, at 00:48, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess "update" means "ask the
> repo for the latest stuff, and that just downloads the mcds".

Basically, yes.

Before that though, it makes sure all update config maps were loaded in order. But you can ignore that part unless you have changes that affect multiple packages, which must be updated in a specific order. Or if you need to ensure that a specific version was loaded before a newer version is safe to apply.

- Bert -

Re: Easing into things...

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 03.06.2012, at 00:48, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I guess "update" means "ask the
>> repo for the latest stuff, and that just downloads the mcds".
>
> Basically, yes.
>
> Before that though, it makes sure all update config maps were loaded in order. But you can ignore that part unless you have changes that affect multiple packages, which must be updated in a specific order. Or if you need to ensure that a specific version was loaded before a newer version is safe to apply.

Or when you want to ensure that your preamble/postscript is executed.

Levente

> - Bert -

Re: Easing into things...

Bert Freudenberg

On 03.06.2012, at 03:45, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On 03.06.2012, at 00:48, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess "update" means "ask the
>>> repo for the latest stuff, and that just downloads the mcds".
>>
>> Basically, yes.
>>
>> Before that though, it makes sure all update config maps were loaded in order. But you can ignore that part unless you have changes that affect multiple packages, which must be updated in a specific order. Or if you need to ensure that a specific version was loaded before a newer version is safe to apply.
>
> Or when you want to ensure that your preamble/postscript is executed.

I don't think so. Why would you need a config map for that?

- Bert -

Re: Easing into things...

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 03.06.2012, at 03:45, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Basically, yes.
>>>
>>> Before that though, it makes sure all update config maps were loaded in order. But you can ignore that part unless you have changes that affect multiple packages, which must be updated in a specific order. Or if you need to ensure that a specific version was loaded before a newer version is safe to apply.
>>
>> Or when you want to ensure that your preamble/postscript is executed.
>

> I don't think so. Why would you need a config map for that?

There are (at least) two cases when you want do that:
- when you want to make sure that the preamble/postscript is executed at
a well defined point of the update process
- when you want to make sure that other commits won't remove your
preable/postscript by rewriting it

Levente

> - Bert -

Re: Easing into things...

Bert Freudenberg

On 04.06.2012, at 15:31, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Or when you want to ensure that your preamble/postscript is executed.
>>

>> I don't think so. Why would you need a config map for that?
>
> There are (at least) two cases when you want do that:
> - when you want to make sure that the preamble/postscript is executed at a well defined point of the update process
> - when you want to make sure that other commits won't remove your
> preable/postscript by rewriting it

Okay. IMO that's subsumed by my "if you need to ensure that a specific version was loaded" So we do agree, after all :)

- Bert -