Editing MIDI files

Charles Bacon
I have just installed Squeak on my FreeBSD box, a bit more capable than
the limited OLPC in which I discovered it as a part of Etoys.  Problem
is that Squeak gives no clue how to address a Midi file so that it can
be edited.  I am not a developer, just a hopeful user.  Ideas?
  Chuck Bacon -- [hidden email]
  ABHOR SECRECY -- DEFEND PRIVACY

Re: Editing MIDI files

Herbert König
Hello Charles,

CB> I have just installed Squeak on my FreeBSD box, a bit more capable than
CB> the limited OLPC in which I discovered it as a part of Etoys. Problem
CB> is that Squeak gives no clue how to address a Midi file so that it can
CB> be edited.  I am not a developer, just a hopeful user.  Ideas?

back in 3.6 times when the people doing the release work in Squeak
were thinking more about users than about developers (no offense or
criticism to the people currently doing the work!) Squeak had a
project "The worlds of Squeak" inside it a Project "Music" to show off
Swueak's musical tools. Inside that you would find a project "More
about sound".

In there is a text "More sound, Music and Speech". At the bottom you
will find a paragraph "Writing your own midi scores".

So I suggest you get yourself a Squeak3.6 full from
http://ftp.squeak.org
read the texts and play and then try what still works in current
images.

You will find the tools in the World menu, "Objects" "Multimedia", but
I think you should read the texts in the old image. Maybe older images
contain even more.

BTW you can use the 3.x images with your recent VM. For older images
you need the VM packaged with the image.

Herbert

Re: Editing MIDI files

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:48:46 -0500 (EST),
Charles Bacon wrote:

> I have just installed Squeak on my FreeBSD box, a bit more capable than
> the limited OLPC in which I discovered it as a part of Etoys.  Problem
> is that Squeak gives no clue how to address a Midi file so that it can
> be edited.  I am not a developer, just a hopeful user.  Ideas?
>   Chuck Bacon -- [hidden email]

  Ah, there may be some misunderstandings:

  - In regards to sound editing capability, nothing has really changed
    in the Etoys image.  Open a .mid file from the FileList or click
    on the load button in the menu bar to navigate to the file and
    press "open".  There, you can open the piano roll.  You can drag
    the "notes", and add new notes if you "add keyboard" from the
    context menu of piano roll.

  - To get more developers' like features, you can set the
    eToyFriendly preferences off.  From the World's halo menu, choose
    preferences.  Then, type something like "etoy" into the panel and
    turn off the eToyFriendly off.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Editing MIDI files

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 10/29/08 6:51 PM, "Yoshiki Ohshima" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Charles Bacon wrote:
>>
>> I have just installed Squeak on my FreeBSD box, a bit more capable than
>> the limited OLPC in which I discovered it as a part of Etoys.  Problem
>> is that Squeak gives no clue how to address a Midi file so that it can
>> be edited.  I am not a developer, just a hopeful user.  Ideas?
>> Chuck Bacon -- [hidden email]
>
>   Ah, there may be some misunderstandings:
>
>   - In regards to sound editing capability, nothing has really changed
>     in the Etoys image.  Open a .mid file from the FileList or click
>     on the load button in the menu bar to navigate to the file and
>     press "open".  There, you can open the piano roll.  You can drag
>     the "notes", and add new notes if you "add keyboard" from the
>     context menu of piano roll.
>
>   - To get more developers' like features, you can set the
>     eToyFriendly preferences off.  From the World's halo menu, choose
>     preferences.  Then, type something like "etoy" into the panel and
>     turn off the eToyFriendly off.
>
> -- Yoshiki

> back in 3.6 times when the people doing the release work in Squeak
> were thinking more about users than about developers (no offense or
> criticism to the people currently doing the work!) Squeak had a
> project "The worlds of Squeak" inside it a Project "Music" to show off
> Swueak's musical tools. Inside that you would find a project "More
> about sound".
>
> In there is a text "More sound, Music and Speech". At the bottom you
> will find a paragraph "Writing your own midi scores".
>
> So I suggest you get yourself a Squeak3.6 full from
> http://ftp.squeak.org
> read the texts and play and then try what still works in current
> images.
>
> You will find the tools in the World menu, "Objects" "Multimedia", but
> I think you should read the texts in the old image. Maybe older images
> contain even more.
>
> BTW you can use the 3.x images with your recent VM. For older images
> you need the VM packaged with the image.

To info of Yoshiki and Herbert I add.
In 3.10 all related to .mid is still in the image and also on my
SqueakLightII.
You don't need reload any.
I don't think a .pr of 3.6 times as was could run, others things like Speech
is not on "base" image now.
But any morph still in the image , as ScorePlayerMorph works same as in
older times.

I just check on

> Writing your own midi scores
> To try this out, execute...
>
>     | n score |
>      n := 3."number of tracks"
>     score:= (MIDIScore new tracks: ((1 to: n) collect: [:i | Array new]);
>         trackInfo: ((1 to: n) collect: [:i | 'Instrument' , i printString]);
>         tempoMap: nil; ticksPerQuarterNote: 96).
>     ScorePlayerMorph openOn: score title: 'My score'

And works , as ever.

If you like music, I strong advice to check this

http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/sqgeo.htm

>From Stéphane Rollandin

Edgar