Editing glyphs in paragraphs

K. K. Subramaniam
Hi,

Is it possible to halo click characters in a paragraph down into its glyph in
the font and edit it?

Alan Kay describes such an operation in his NSF paper but neither Squeakland
image nor Etoys image is able to open a glyph editor on a character.
Connectors contain a glyph editor but it only associates connection points
with a glyph and does not supporting editing of shape :-(.

Thanks in advance .. Subbu

Re: Editing glyphs in paragraphs

Karl-19
subbukk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to halo click characters in a paragraph down into its glyph in
> the font and edit it?
>
> Alan Kay describes such an operation in his NSF paper but neither Squeakland
> image nor Etoys image is able to open a glyph editor on a character.
> Connectors contain a glyph editor but it only associates connection points
> with a glyph and does not supporting editing of shape :-(.
>
> Thanks in advance .. Subbu

http://bgaertner.gmxhome.de/MorphicFontEditor.htm

Karl

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 9:13:56 pm Karl wrote:

> http://bgaertner.gmxhome.de/MorphicFontEditor.htm
>
> Karl
Karl,

The FontEditor edits an array of bitmaps. I was looking for a shape editor
that can be unleashed on individual characters of, say, TTSampleStringMorph.

Just a little bit of detail:

If users can compose their own shapes for glyphs, then we won't need font
tables (in their current form). A set of paragraphs can be considered as a
sequence of indexes that refer to entries in a glyph palette that contains
only the glyphs that are used in the paragraphs. New glyphs could be composed
on the fly and appended to the glyph palette. A reference to an external font
table is no longer required to render such a paragraph.

Subbu

Re: Editing glyphs in paragraphs

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Subbu,

> Is it possible to halo click characters in a paragraph down into its glyph in
> the font and edit it?

  I believe that Ned did an experimental version based on his arrow
glyph editor for Alan's demo.  I saw the demo, but it is not in the
official Squeakland or Etoys image.

> Alan Kay describes such an operation in his NSF paper but neither Squeakland
> image nor Etoys image is able to open a glyph editor on a character.
> Connectors contain a glyph editor but it only associates connection points
> with a glyph and does not supporting editing of shape :-(.

  Yes, I'm actually surprised that editting doesn't work (I was
assuming it does).  If we fix the editting work, and create a special
kind of text morph that shows halo for individual characters, and fix
the editor so that it can store the editted glyph into the TTCFont,
the demo can be revived.  (Or, of course we could ask Ned to fix it!)

-- Yoshiki

On Thursday 24 January 2008 4:13:05 am Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Subbu,
>
> > Is it possible to halo click characters in a paragraph down into its
> > glyph in the font and edit it?
>
>   I believe that Ned did an experimental version based on his arrow
> glyph editor for Alan's demo.  I saw the demo, but it is not in the
> official Squeakland or Etoys image.
Anyone have this changeset around? Looks like it was not posted to the mailing
lists.

> > Alan Kay describes such an operation in his NSF paper but neither
> > Squeakland image nor Etoys image is able to open a glyph editor on a
> > character. Connectors contain a glyph editor but it only associates
> > connection points with a glyph and does not supporting editing of shape
> > :-(.
>
>   Yes, I'm actually surprised that editting doesn't work (I was
> assuming it does).  If we fix the editting work, and create a special
> kind of text morph that shows halo for individual characters, and fix
> the editor so that it can store the editted glyph into the TTCFont,
> the demo can be revived.  (Or, of course we could ask Ned to fix it!)
In Squeakland and Etoys, characters are not morphs :-(. Small morphs like
character glyphs pose interesting challenges in programming. Just storing
polylines, curves and textures is not enough. Without proportions and shape
hints, aesthetics will be difficult to preserve across transformations.

Has anyone tried to the create the equivalent of Don Knuth's METAFONT in
Squeak?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Editing glyphs in paragraphs

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Subbu,

> >   Yes, I'm actually surprised that editting doesn't work (I was
> > assuming it does).  If we fix the editting work, and create a special
> > kind of text morph that shows halo for individual characters, and fix
> > the editor so that it can store the editted glyph into the TTCFont,
> > the demo can be revived.  (Or, of course we could ask Ned to fix it!)
> In Squeakland and Etoys, characters are not morphs :-(.

  No, that is why I wrote that we need to have a special kind of text
morph.

> Small morphs like
> character glyphs pose interesting challenges in programming. Just storing
> polylines, curves and textures is not enough. Without proportions and shape
> hints, aesthetics will be difficult to preserve across transformations.
>
> Has anyone tried to the create the equivalent of Don Knuth's METAFONT in
> Squeak?

 Not in Squeak, but in the idst system, we should do something like
that, and Ian and Dan Amelang have the first (and some iteration) of
attempt.

-- Yoshiki