Elections off to a roaring start

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

There was a mad rush of candidate announcements for the Squeak Oversight Board for 2014.  For those keeping track we have zero candidates.

If you are on the board currently and are planning to run please announce yourself as a candidate.

Of course there is no rush, since we still have plenty of time, but I thought I’d send off a friendly reminder.

Also if you know someone that you think should run, please reach out and encourage them to run.

Thanks!

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Elections off to a roaring start

timrowledge

On 21-01-2014, at 5:44 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There was a mad rush of candidate announcements for the Squeak Oversight Board for 2014.  For those keeping track we have zero candidates.

I’ll try to be more than a zero ;-)

To quote what I said last year -
"Most of you already know me; for those that don't - I've been Smalltalking since 1984, developing VMs since 1986, developing Squeak since 1996. I'm old, cranky, reasonably smart, know where most of the bodies are buried (because I buried a lot of them), and in favour of simplicity where possible and brute force everywhere else. I have a long history with ARM cpus and RISC OS, which is why I'm currently working to get Squeak back up to date on the Raspberry Pi platform. “
To that I should add that I’ve spent the last year speeding up Scratch on the Raspberry Pi, improving low-level texty stuff in Squeak, reworking tutorial pages on the swiki and trying to get some Mantis bug reports moving around.

My primary interest relating to the board is making sure that we keep the legal and financial aspects quietly under control, and getting our web presence updated and simplified - but since I am not any sort of expert web developer that really means whipping others into action.

So vote for me; because it’s good for you.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac ut gaudeam = Make my day.

re: Elections off to a roaring start

ccrraaiigg

Hoi all--

     I am a candidate for the 2014 Squeak board. I'm making Squeak
modular, distributed, and teachable (through minimalism). Please see my
blog[1] for recent developments. I've enjoyed discussing community
issues with the rest of the current board, and representing Squeak at
FOSDEM and other conferences. I hope to continue for another year!

     thanks,
     Craig

[1] http://thiscontext.com

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

re: Elections off to a roaring start

Frank Shearar-3
I'm tossing my hat in the ring too.

I'm the noisy guy moving boxes around in Squeak's basement. Whether or
not I win a seat on the SOB I'll be
* continuing to modularise the base image,
* taking another run at producing releasable Squeak images that are
_built up_ from a minimal-ish core,
* continuing to try expand our CI empire.

frank

re: Elections off to a roaring start

Edgar De Cleene

On 1/22/14 1:20 AM, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi all--
>
>      I am a candidate for the 2014 Squeak board. I'm making Squeak
> modular, distributed, and teachable (through minimalism). Please see my
> blog[1] for recent developments. I've enjoyed discussing community
> issues with the rest of the current board, and representing Squeak at
> FOSDEM and other conferences. I hope to continue for another year!
>

>      thanks,
>      Craig

+1

And wish more of Spoon

Edgar

re: Elections off to a roaring start

Chris Muller-3
I will re-up to serve another year as well.  My desire for Squeak
continues to be as a development platform enabling individuals and
teams in the community to create interesting, real-world applications.
 I want a system that empowers semi-technical "scripters", not just
hard-core developers.

As with any complex machine, we work for Squeak so that, one day, it
can work for us.  My philosophy is that day should always be today, to
the maximum degree possible.  In an age when "old" is a dirty word, I
actually respect old code (not bad code), because it was able to work
for people a long time before people had to work for it.

I appreciate the mileage afforded by the entire language syntax
fitting on a single index card.  I think "modern" bells and whistles
should justify their real-world value relative to the additional
complexity they require the human-side to absorb.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/22/14 1:20 AM, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hoi all--
>>
>>      I am a candidate for the 2014 Squeak board. I'm making Squeak
>> modular, distributed, and teachable (through minimalism). Please see my
>> blog[1] for recent developments. I've enjoyed discussing community
>> issues with the rest of the current board, and representing Squeak at
>> FOSDEM and other conferences. I hope to continue for another year!
>>

>>      thanks,
>>      Craig
>

> +1
>
> And wish more of Spoon
>

> Edgar

re: Elections off to a roaring start

Herbert König
Hey Chris,

thanks for running again, I'm one of your "customers". Since 3.6 I use
Squeak as my main tool to assist my engineering (EE). Except from a
period between 3.9 and maybe 4.1 I can happily build on my old stuff in
any version I choose due to the careful and compatible evolution of Squeak.

I used it for neural networks, audio DSP, machine simulation, production
planning, mass evaluation of ASCII files (automated hardware tests) and
now computer vision. Though I rarely can program Squeak in my paid for
time I regularly use it in my jobs.

Thanks to everybody here!

Herbert

Am 22.01.2014 18:14, schrieb Chris Muller:

> I will re-up to serve another year as well.  My desire for Squeak
> continues to be as a development platform enabling individuals and
> teams in the community to create interesting, real-world applications.
>   I want a system that empowers semi-technical "scripters", not just
> hard-core developers.
>
> As with any complex machine, we work for Squeak so that, one day, it
> can work for us.  My philosophy is that day should always be today, to
> the maximum degree possible.  In an age when "old" is a dirty word, I
> actually respect old code (not bad code), because it was able to work
> for people a long time before people had to work for it.
>
> I appreciate the mileage afforded by the entire language syntax
> fitting on a single index card.  I think "modern" bells and whistles
> should justify their real-world value relative to the additional
> complexity they require the human-side to absorb.
>
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Edgar De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 1/22/14 1:20 AM, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hoi all--
>>>
>>>       I am a candidate for the 2014 Squeak board. I'm making Squeak
>>> modular, distributed, and teachable (through minimalism). Please see my
>>> blog[1] for recent developments. I've enjoyed discussing community
>>> issues with the rest of the current board, and representing Squeak at
>>> FOSDEM and other conferences. I hope to continue for another year!
>>>

>>>       thanks,
>>>       Craig
>>
>> +1
>>
>> And wish more of Spoon
>>

>> Edgar

Re: Elections off to a roaring start

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

There was a mad rush of candidate announcements for the Squeak Oversight Board for 2014.  For those keeping track we have zero candidates.

If you are on the board currently and are planning to run please announce yourself as a candidate.

    I've really enjoyed being on the board this past year and would like to serve again.  While I have the same priorities as last year I'd especially like to shepherd Spur, the new memory manager for the Cog VM, into the Squeak release after next.

--
best,
Eliot

RE: Elections off to a roaring start

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

That is much better.  I'm sure we can do better still.

We now have 5 candidates for 7 seats.

In order of announcement:

1. Tim Rowledge
2. Craig Latta
3. Frank Shearar
4. Chris Muller
5. Eliot Miranda

If you have been part of this community I encourage you to run.  If you know
someone that can help steer the course of the squeak community in the right
direction, I encourage you to reach out to them and ask them to run.  If you
know someone without a "Y" chromosome that is great community member, give
them a nudge and get them to run.

All the best,

On 23-01-2014, at 11:46 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That is much better.  I'm sure we can do better still.

Being on the board is not an onerous job. It does not require exotic technical skills. What it does need is an interest in caring for how the Squeak world keeps going, some time to take part in discussions and occasional debates about what ought to be done with the organisation, and a large cellar of excellent vintages to share when the expansive travel budget provides for a meeting to be held in your chateau. Some of the aforementioned might be exaggeration.

Many of the regulars at posting here could be excellent board-members. Please, take a moment to consider running.

tim
Concurrent: an object that looks like a raisin but isn't

     Tim writes:

> Being on the board is not an onerous job. It does not require exotic
> technical skills. What it does need is an interest in caring for how
> the Squeak world keeps going, some time to take part in discussions
> and occasional debates about what ought to be done with the
> organisation, and a large cellar of excellent vintages to share when
> the expansive travel budget provides for a meeting to be held in your
> chateau. Some of the aforementioned might be exaggeration.
>
> Many of the regulars at posting here could be excellent board-
> members. Please, take a moment to consider running.

     Hear hear! Please run.

-C

--
Craig Latta